Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Assuming that ATL is your address for your MileagePlus account, I think this is 95% chance.
Viking547 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
GS for the first time this year, SFO based. Last year spent around $62K, this year it's looking like I'll end the year around $45K or so... I'm on leave for a bit so the international J travel has taken a bit of a pause but I'm doing tons of domestic cross-country J in the meantime. So, what do y'all think? How bad are my chances of requalifying? The (minimal) data for the google spreadsheets makes me think chances aren't great for me.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1M / EK Platinum / Bonvoy Titanium Elite / IHG Platinum Elite
I'm currently a GS member for 2019.

Just noticed on my United home page this message. I did read in one of the older GS threads (i.e. 2019) that they sometimes give you GS mid-year. Does that mean they are giving me mid-year GS renewal?
I'm at 275k PQM, $67k PQD (all United Metal) with another $20k in PQD spend to go in the next 2 months.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cubsko

Just noticed on my United home page this message. I did read in one of the older GS threads (i.e. 2019) that they sometimes give you GS mid-year. Does that mean they are giving me mid-year GS renewal?
I'm at 275k PQM, $67k PQD (all United Metal) with another $20k in PQD spend to go in the next 2 months.
If this did just pop up on your home page it sure looks like you got the 2020 invite. Your spend is obviously enough.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cubsko

Ah, I have a better theory- I think you are in same situation as me, you just hit 1MM right? Then this is your updated card and 1MM plaque. I just got mine delivered yesterday after crossing a few weeks ago. I had same message on mystatus.....
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nomad420
If this did just pop up on your home page it sure looks like you got the 2020 invite. Your spend is obviously enough.
I've never seen a mid year invite for the following year for an existing GS
jjmoore and LIH like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS 1M / EK Platinum / Bonvoy Titanium Elite / IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by rieuwa
Ah, I have a better theory- I think you are in same situation as me, you just hit 1MM right? Then this is your updated card and 1MM plaque. I just got mine delivered yesterday after crossing a few weeks ago. I had same message on mystatus.....
I did just cross 1M on my last trip last week! That must be it!!!!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Viking547
Hoping for a first year invite here. Multi-year 1K but had a major drop last year and fell back to Gold (lifetime MM), but had a good year of travel so far. Currently sitting at:

$54k PQD (100% UA Metal)
150k PQM
100k BIS
Atlanta Based
I'm around $0.525 CPM, most all flights in paid C/D transatlantic. Will probably have a sprinkle of Y domestic flights and maybe one more transatlantic flight in Polaris. Thinking I'll end the year somewhere around $60k.

Thoughts from the wise FT community on chances of qualification?
Near certain.
Viking547 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Viking547
Hoping for a first year invite here. Multi-year 1K but had a major drop last year and fell back to Gold (lifetime MM), but had a good year of travel so far. Currently sitting at:

$54k PQD (100% UA Metal)
150k PQM
100k BIS
Atlanta Based
I'm around $0.525 CPM, most all flights in paid C/D transatlantic. Will probably have a sprinkle of Y domestic flights and maybe one more transatlantic flight in Polaris. Thinking I'll end the year somewhere around $60k.

Thoughts from the wise FT community on chances of qualification?
You're in. Bank on it
uanj and Viking547 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:57 pm

Question on qualification: I fly out of LAX. 164k PQM and $43.5 PQD so far, and I don't expect any more overseas business-class trips this year, so maybe another $2-3k. Based on the spreadsheet, I don't think I will make GS (but hope springs eternal).

If I flew out of Burbank (which is certainly more convenient) and had similar numbers, does anyone know if that would that increase my chances of GS? Or am I lumped in with the LAX flyers?

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
I am currently at
56k PQD (100% UA metal )
255 PQM
69.5 PQS

i am at 830 k lifetime miles... i should hit my first 1M miles next year.

AND still have few International trips layout... counted another 13k to add to the current 56k.... should end up with 69 or 70k this year...
I am not one to count the class type... i don't really understand it... i buy first class or business class outright when i go to korea, singapore, china or europe...

Always been 1 k the past few years but learned directly from united main office that even if i was spending 10k with a ticket purchased on united.com and it it's actually operated by another company, it doesn't count for qualification towards GS.... so this year, i have been extremely "patient" and didn't use any other company but united... and for instance ...i recently did a Frankfurt / Washington dc to Sao Paulo, brazil, instead of flying direct from frankfurt to sao paulo with lufthansa....so that it stays 100% united metal....Hoping that this time around and after completing over 60k... thati get this GS.... but maybe harder to get since I am flying out of SFO???? tons of GS here...but not sure of that...

C

Last edited by cbono; Oct 2, 2019 at 9:30 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Autonerd
Question on qualification: I fly out of LAX. 164k PQM and $43.5 PQD so far, and I don't expect any more overseas business-class trips this year, so maybe another $2-3k. Based on the spreadsheet, I don't think I will make GS (but hope springs eternal).

If I flew out of Burbank (which is certainly more convenient) and had similar numbers, does anyone know if that would that increase my chances of GS? Or am I lumped in with the LAX flyers?

Thanks!
On the topic of LAX, my experience as a (non-local) GS has been really great. One of the few places I've gotten the car service. Not that I needed it, but it was nice. They have met me on arrival from SYD to give me express immigration passes. Another time, they allowed my friend to join me in the (regular) lounge, even though he wasn't departing from LAX. The Global reception has been empty every time. My experience may be biased, as I only fly or connect to/from SYD (early morning / late night).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 4, 2019 at 1:29 pm Reason: cleanup after move; thanks for the link
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by cbono
I am currently at
56k PQD (100% UA metal )
255 PQM
69.5 PQS

i am at 830 k lifetime miles... i should hit my first 1M miles next year.

AND still have few International trips layout... counted another 13k to add to the current 56k.... should end up with 69 or 70k this year...
I am not one to count the class type... i don't really understand it... i buy first class or business class outright when i go to korea, singapore, china or europe...

Always been 1 k the past few years but learned directly from united main office that even if i was spending 10k with a ticket purchased on united.com and it it's actually operated by another company, it doesn't count for qualification towards GS.... so this year, i have been extremely "patient" and didn't use any other company but united... and for instance ...i recently did a Frankfurt / Washington dc to Sao Paulo, brazil, instead of flying direct from frankfurt to sao paulo with lufthansa....so that it stays 100% united metal....Hoping that this time around and after completing over 60k... thati get this GS.... but maybe harder to get since I am flying out of SFO???? tons of GS here...but not sure of that...

C
You will definitely make it!!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by limey1K
I pulled my numbers and the actuals are $28 / $32 / $34 / $32 / $35 and $46-48 this year
I've had a couple of additional trips added to the end of the year. I should come in at $52K United metal plus $6K on *A booked through UA.

When I asked for a review last year, I received the following:

We extend Global Services invitations on an annual basis, following a year-end review of all accounts to determine those customers whose United flight revenue in the previous year is within the top percent of our population. Typically, Global Services members purchase high-value Economy or First and Business Class tickets, and fly primarily on United-operated international and domestic itineraries.
jonisflying likes this.

Last edited by limey1K; Oct 3, 2019 at 5:38 pm Reason: Added the GS response stuff
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Ambassador, IHG Spire Elite + Kimpton Inner Circle, AA Gold
Originally Posted by limey1K
We extend Global Services invitations on an annual basis, following a year-end review of all accounts to determine those customers whose United flight revenue in the previous year is within the top percent of our population. Typically, Global Services members purchase high-value Economy or First and Business Class tickets, and fly primarily on United-operated international and domestic itineraries.
This is great info thanks for posting.

I should have crossed $50k PQD (48.5k UA/UAX, 1.5k LH) and 250k PQM last night, curiously enough, my account didn't update on arrival so I haven't seen it hit.

My UA progression is (year of qualification): 16 m, 17 UA Ag, 18 UA 1k (100,067 PQM on Dec 29th), current UA 1k. Does this factor into GS?

I did however get express transfer on a trip to MEL in J (I think it was a Z fare but refundable last min booking). Arrived in LAX, they caught me getting off the aircraft and drove me to the Polaris lounge. That was a great start to the trip.

Last edited by k_den; Oct 4, 2019 at 10:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.