FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1981441-gs-qualifying-2020-discussion-questions.html)

wxguy Aug 3, 2019 1:17 pm

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Thread for discussing GS qualifications for 2020. (Last year's thread.)

I'm at >$30K PQM for the year so far, but at 4MM, I'm not worried :p

Plane-is-home Aug 3, 2019 2:08 pm

I am not worried either. Decided to buy PassPlus

nomad420 Aug 3, 2019 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 31375334)
I am not worried either. Decided to buy PassPlus

Looked into about 3 years ago and it was just a bit above my travel costs at $50K. Ran in the low to mid $40K levels and had some issues with non UA metal dollars so kept missing the GS ring. Hit $45K out of SFO last year with almost all on UA metal didn't think I would get it after several years at that level and on literally the last day of January I got the invite. Didn't even expect it. In fact I was already booking travel on AS as I was going to finally wash my hands of UA. But like Don Corleone said "They keep pulling me back in".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Nschli Aug 4, 2019 6:19 pm

Do they issue invitations mid-year?

I'm well over$60K PQD/250KPQM so far this year with $14K more coming this month and likely the same in Sept.
Principally Business/ First International 2-3 times a month.

Out of EWR. Never invited previously. Or do I wait until Jan?

Plane-is-home Aug 4, 2019 7:46 pm

12 years or so ago when I got it the first time it was mid year I think late July. But I was at 90k or 100k spent. My worst travel year.

ryman554 Aug 4, 2019 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 31379650)
12 years or so ago when I got it the first time it was mid year I think late July. But I was at 90k or 100k spent. My worst travel year.

Only in flyertalk do we need to ask your definition "worst".

Worst as in waaay too much travel (90k over 6 month) so away from home too long
or
Worst as in lowest $$$ spent and it was a low year when you got your GS looking back?

UA_Flyer Aug 4, 2019 10:36 pm

Another 4 MM flyer here, but I am still on track to make GS regardless my lifetime status. On track to fly 225K BIS and $75K PQD on UA metals this year, although that is still a conscious decision to fly other *A carriers this year and reduce UA flying.

Being a GS for well over a decade, it is hard to fly other airlines and trying to earn similar status from the bottom except for my annual SQ PPS status, now in its 8th year.

katan Aug 5, 2019 4:19 am

This is the first year I haven't been worried about re-qualification. GS since 2017, and always in the iffy zone 40's and 50's. Sitting at the 53k PQD mark and haven't even headed home from AU yet. I have at least 4 more out and backs on the plan for the rest of the year. I'd actually say this is the first year I've had the opposite thoughts, ready to cry uncle and get some time at home.

LIH Aug 5, 2019 6:02 am

Unlikely to hit GS again for 2020. Sitting at $25K in PQD right now and shutting travel down 11/1 for our first kid on the way. Probably will end up in the low $40s by then depending on how expensive my one European trip is. If I can get that ORD <> LHR to be something like $8K then I may have a chance. My trailing 3 years will get modestly better (this year will be ahead of my 2016 spend).

jonisflying Aug 5, 2019 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Nschli (Post 31379464)
I'm well over$60K PQD/250KPQM so far this year with $14K more coming this month and likely the same in Sept.
Principally Business/ First International 2-3 times a month.

Out of EWR. Never invited previously. Or do I wait until Jan?

There was a post back in June in 2019 GS Qualifying thread (before this 2020 thread was started) about getting a mid year invite, spend was ~$75K.

limey1K Aug 5, 2019 10:09 am

I was at $35K June 1 with another $25K booked through October (there will be more that that by year-end) and asked for a review and was denied. All domestic F and International business on 016 stock

deskover54 Aug 5, 2019 10:52 am

I will fail after 3 years as GS. $14k right now, will end probably $20k and 200-300k PQM. Changed from J to Y tickets. Much better value after all the downgrades.

hkarau Aug 5, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jonisflying (Post 31381077)
There was a post back in June in 2019 GS Qualifying thread (before this 2020 thread was started) about getting a mid year invite, spend was ~$75K.

also had a mid year invite last year when I was hitting around 65k 6 months in. Interestingly enough they stressed it was only for 2018 and 2019 would be decided separately (but did of course qualify for 2019 with that spend rate). This year is probably a big drop for me, I’m at 45k and maybe only have another ~10k planned.

n8-the-gr8 Aug 5, 2019 11:41 am

Originally Posted by hkarau (Post 31381874)

also had a mid year invite last year when I was hitting around 65k 6 months in. Interestingly enough they stressed it was only for 2018 and 2019 would be decided separately (but did of course qualify for 2019 with that spend rate). This year is probably a big drop for me, I’m at 45k and maybe only have another ~10k planned.

That is interesting. With my mid-year qualification this year, they explicitly mentioned that I had also qualified for 2020 and the status would be valid through January 2021 which was reflected on the GS card I recently received.

wanderingkev Aug 5, 2019 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 31380003)
Another 4 MM flyer here, but I am still on track to make GS regardless my lifetime status. On track to fly 225K BIS and $75K PQD on UA metals this year, although that is still a conscious decision to fly other *A carriers this year.

Being a GS for well over a decade, it is hard to fly other airlines and trying to earn similar status from the bottom except for my annual SQ PPS status, now in its 8th year.

I am like you with my status except mine is with QF, I find when I fly with QF, CX even before the higher status I was treated always extremely well on board and with IRROPs