Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that most GS (re-)quals are now booked, it'll be interesting to see, how the 2020 GS population number compares to the 2019 one.
Any hunch/ideas?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by drklain
I think you are reading far too much into it. We know that the factor United uses is United revenue and (to a limited extent) prediction of revenue in the coming year. They do this based on how much you spent last year and what your three year total (and average) spend is. There are those who have speculated that CPM is a factor and that profitability is a factor, but there isn't definitive data to support this except in gross numbers (total money spent).

My opinions on the points you raised:
  • Demographaphics (age) - non-factor. As a matter of fact, using this (if it came out) would subject them to an age-discrimination lawsuit. No corporate counsel would sign off on that.
  • Dis-service level (IRROPS, upgrade clearance, etrc.) - non factor. The fact you were hassled more last year doesn't matter. Focus is on what you are likely to spend this year.
  • Homebase - probably a factor to the extent they don't want to have too many GSs based somewhere overloading their ability to provide "special service". That said those bases (EWR, SFO, etc.) have extra GS capacity, special check-in lounges, etc. that even other UA bases (IAD) don't have, so I think their "total number of GSs we can accommodate" number is likely higher than at other airports, so it probably balances out.
Bottom line - you want to be a GS? Spend over $50K on United Metal. The more you spend, the better. Anything else and you are rolling the dice and the odds of getting an invite are not in your favor. Alternatively, work for a company with over $1M in spend a year and be one of the people your travel coordinator nominates for GS.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.
I find it hard to believe UA’s calculation is based simply on last year’s spend + 3 trailing years’ spend. If that were the case, I think FTers would have amassed enough data points by now to figure out the definitive cutoff points. Instead, there seems to be a “gray area” between $40-50K annual spend where some customers get GS, others don’t (regardless of 3 trailing years’ spend). For the thousands of customers who sit in that gray area, I think it’s very unlikely that UA employees are manually reviewing each individual case and making their own judgment calls. There must be an algorithm.

As has been stated many times before, this entire thread is pure speculation (albeit speculation that’s well-informed by data points). Anybody who credibly knows the GS criteria shouldn’t/wouldn’t be commenting here.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Given that most GS (re-)quals are now booked, it'll be interesting to see, how the 2020 GS population number compares to the 2019 one.
Any hunch/ideas?
We will never know
But looking at recent notifications threads, there have been roughly 200 individuals posting receiving invites for the past three years-- no appreciatable trend up or down. No claiming those threads are statistically valid but not sure what else exists.
meducate, drklain, jjmoore and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by nomad420
Sadly now after completing my first year as a GS member I would say there was almost ZERO difference between 1K and GS with one significant exception that I was better able to clear upgrade instruments into PN space but almost always <T24 hrs or even after boarding. Apart from that nada. I will say my international travel was down and I booked Polaris on virtually all international trips anyhow. The GS lobby in SFO was nice but as others noted hard to use for international travel where you really want that help at check in.

It looks like I am one and done with GS but not crying. I may make it if my wife gets the invite as she ended up being the road warrior this year but that looks really iffy. As always YMMV.
This is good to know. I often sit with GS people who are complaining of the lack of upgrades...I have been 1k for the past 6 years now and always wondered if it’s worth pushing for GS. 2019 PQM- 220,000 PQD$ 46K
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any hunch/ideas?
I would be willing to bet that the population number is relatively similar to previous years. It would make more sense to me that UA selects the top (let's call it today) 0.05% of MP members based on a concoction of spend in 2019, and a few other criteria that we can speculate on all we want but never really know. The only thing that would skew the total # of GS would be if there is a significant change in the total number of active MP members in the program. I don't see this happening anytime soon.
meducate, drklain and ei124 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: UA GS
I do wonder if PQMs were a factor in previous years. Although it’s probably irrelevant now that United has moved away from PQMs. I made GS for the first time in 2019 and re-qualified for this year. Mostly G,K,L domestic and W,V international fares.

2017: ~150k PQM, ~10k PQD
2018: ~600k PQM, ~49.5k initial PQD (~30k adjusted PQD)
2019: ~625k PQM, ~30k PQD
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Which email should I send a request for a challenge? There is no way I get in on a reconsideration as I was under $40K but wanted to request a challenge as I already have $6K booked on united metal and have a good chance of over 18K before May based on current travel plans. Is it the customer care email on the back of the global services card? I would think it would rather be a mileageplus email.

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HAudidoody
Which email should I send a request for a challenge? There is no way I get in on a reconsideration as I was under $40K but wanted to request a challenge as I already have $6K booked on united metal and have a good chance of over 18K before May based on current travel plans. Is it the customer care email on the back of the global services card? I would think it would rather be a mileageplus email.

Thanks.
If still a GS, you can use the email on the back of your card (which is an unpublish email so we don't post it on FT), otherwise contact MP (not reservations)
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If still a GS, you can use the email on the back of your card (which is an unpublish email so we don't post it on FT), otherwise contact MP (not reservations)
Thanks to all, I sent a challenge request to the email on my card on Thursday. I checked the site a couple times today and late evening noticed I had the same challenge as everyone. Unfortunately it's going to be difficult to meet unless I add a trip my company is currently saying I can't do, but at least I got the challenge.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:17 am

Ground transfers

Morning everyone-
random question, when you get the ground transfers at IAH//DEN/EWR in the Mercedes, do you tip the drivers?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt Ellis
Morning everyone-
random question, when you get the ground transfers at IAH//DEN/EWR in the Mercedes, do you tip the drivers?
I have not
iluv2fly and Xyzzy like this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by meducate
I have not
I have not either. I’m pretty sure if you offered a tip that it would be declined anyway. Might make for an uncomfortable moment (at least it would for me).

Last edited by limey1K; Feb 17, 2020 at 8:13 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Speaking of which, I've used the car service for domestic transfers but what if your connection is to Europe?

I have an SFO-EWR-TXL flight next week. I have a banged up knee so I want to get car service if possible but where do they drop you off? That can't bring you straight to an international gate, can they?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Speaking of which, I've used the car service for domestic transfers but what if your connection is to Europe?

I have an SFO-EWR-TXL flight next week. I have a banged up knee so I want to get car service if possible but where do they drop you off? That can't bring you straight to an international gate, can they?
No “international” section at EWR. Gates with overseas flights sprinkled throughout Terminal C.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by DMSFCA

They pointedly do not provide the car on demand. I was on crutches one time at DEN and asked for it and they said no. I think maybe the idea is for it to be a random surprise or something.

Out of the dozen times I got car rides, there was only one where I actually needed it because of a tight connection. Most of the other times, I actually had ample extra time to make it to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.