Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Perhaps the blanket 12-month extension to all GS members may the easy solution, but may be not.

Since GS has been treated as a program on its own rather than aligning with the general M+ program, perhaps UA is still working out the "formula".

IMHO, the the current PQP requirements in M+ is getting closer to the GS requirement, which is based on spent spent $$!
Based on the spent as the primary qualification criteria (and those who are in positions to set travel policies to influence revenues going to UA), perhaps the compromise is between a blanket extension and upholding a pre-set sent $$ level.

Based on top X% of highest revenue M+ members, UA may lower the GS 2021 qualification $$ level. For example, there is common myth that $50K is the benchmark for first year qualification or another myth is looking at spent over a three-year period for requalification, UA could determine that may be $25K (or other amount that could be higher or lower) is enough to get you GS status of 2021.

I don't know what other considerations go into the GS extension discussion inside UA, but it could be as simple as a blanket extension that would make many current GS happy or adjust the qualification spending level that is based on UA's own propitiatory data and formula - this will make some GS happy because it continues to keep the number of GS at manageable level while alienating those who won't spend enough even based on the reduced $$ level.

Personally I don't quite buy the argument that if giving a blanket extension would entice GS to try OAL because GS. May be a small token will, but what is the point of starting from the ground level of another airlines and earning lower multiples for RDMs. Just speaking for myself as a lifetime GS member, I have less incentive to fly OAL despite the cut back on in-flight meals and other amenities. RDMs and the ability to access special awards inventory and upgrades on award travel are too good to pass.
LordHamster and drklain like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by ei124
Very much agreed. Plus the existing practice is for GS to soft land into 1K if they don't re-qualify for GS, so the "official" status extension that was announced yesterday presents no new benefits to GS members.

I think UA needs to offer a blanket GS extension.
THIS. There generally is no such thing as a status match from GS to CK or Delta 360... but there ARE status matches to their 1K equivalents.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by LordHamster
THIS. There generally is no such thing as a status match from GS to CK or Delta 360... but there ARE status matches to their 1K equivalents.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the extremely hungry fir revenue airlines find a way to accommodate potential big $ flyers. We are not in anything like the works of generally, and there have been status matches and challenges in the past.

My wife is at $20k on United right now, but the rest of the year is up in the air (or not) If she’s looking at maybe gs or definitely ck, it’s ck and AA for the win,

UA spends a fortune acquiring customers, esp gs. It seems stupid and shortsighted to keep their normal rules with so much uncertainty. No guarantees of gs, sure, but we all know if you spend 60k or so on premium fares you’re basically a lock, and plenty qualify well below that. But this year you’ll have lots of people who in the past and future are 60k or whatever but this year only 20 or 30 or something. When they’re uncertain they’ll start looking around for alternatives.

As for the claim that extension would prompt gs to take other carriers, I don’t buy it. The GS flyers I’ve met are mostly united fans. They can’t be lured away, only driven away. An extension means they will continues to fly UA secure in the knowledge that UA values their business and they will have a do-over come January. No extension means “up yours, what have you done for us lately?” And many will rethink the relationship and consider alternatives. My wife has booked many flights on UA that were more expensive and gotten occasional pushback from corporate travel. Those days will be over if UA tells her “we’ll get back to you after we’ve decided if you’re still valuable”.
iluv2fly and manstein58 like this.

Last edited by Boghopper; Apr 6, 2020 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
The whole argument on GS being a separate program is moot, so what if it is and so what if it is not. They can very well do what they want and they clearly have chosen not to and this really speaks volumes on how they want to treat their best customers. Either they are so out of touch, knowing that people like us who are the mileage warriors and spend lots want to know first and have certainty or they just want to screw us over. I personally think it is the latter and have Kirby written all over this. It just does not make any sense that "oh we will tell you later" but give certainty to all the other levels below.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Did any of the folks get a response that emailed GS? Keep us posted on their replies...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by njs281
Did any of the folks get a response that emailed GS? Keep us posted on their replies...
Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus program!

Global Services will continue to be an invitation only program. At this time we are not extending Global Services status. We are currently reviewing future qualification options of 2021 Global Services status.

I am sorry you feel alienated. That is certainly not our intention. Global Services remains an invitation-only program, and accounts will be reviewed at the end of the year for eligibility. We do hope to have more information later in the year.

As a Global Services member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXMileagePlus® Service Center
cbono likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: UA GS
well now we know!
cbono likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by njs281
well now we know!
Can't really fault the approach - they're waiting to see if travel picks up at all. If it does, they'll expect that especially "newer" GS will start traveling some too if they want to maintain it.

If travel doesn't pick up at all by end-2020, I'd still bet it's likely they renew.
njs281 and cbono like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
I am a new GS in 2020.... I managed to already be - for the first quarter, a premier 1k qualified for next year...... Tons of travels cancelled, like many of you... so we will see...
In any case.... there are far more important things going on, like our health versus qualifying for GS next year.... Based on everything I experienced anyway this first quarter.... being premier 1k isn't much of a big difference but that is my experience... yes we all want to keep the GS status... but out if our hands.... all I know is that we will keep flying once the market is back open....
drklain likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus program!

Global Services will continue to be an invitation only program. At this time we are not extending Global Services status. We are currently reviewing future qualification options of 2021 Global Services status.

I am sorry you feel alienated. That is certainly not our intention. Global Services remains an invitation-only program, and accounts will be reviewed at the end of the year for eligibility. We do hope to have more information later in the year.

As a Global Services member, we value your business. Thank you for choosing United and MileagePlus.

Regards,
XXXXXXXXMileagePlus® Service Center
They better have more information before people start booking travel again. Or maybe their contempt for their customers (aka self-loading cargo) will survive this unscathed.

This is a chance to provide some reassurance to what they claim are their most important customers in these uncertain times, the same reassurance they provided to all the rest. The idea is that we can get back to normal in some sense once this is over. Clearly that’s not their plan, but by playing coy I think they end up losing.

Seems like the balance of extending is they keep their customers and maybe have too many gs next year as some who would have dropped off stick around. The balance of wait and see and then lowering the threshold is they lose some who might have been gs for years but got disrupted this year and go elsewhere while they gain some who qualify this year and will never qualify again. In either case next year it’s back to the usual more or less and when the dust settles I think the second option results in more high value flyers in their program. But that’s just one persons opinion, they’re the marketing geniuses.

Last edited by Boghopper; Apr 6, 2020 at 11:32 am
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Boghopper
They better have more information before people start booking travel again. Or maybe their contempt for their customers (aka self-loading cargo) will survive this unscathed.
If i dont have GS confirmed soon, i am happy to not book United.

Just so short sighted, penny wise pound foolish.
LordHamster and njs281 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:47 am

Dual programs

This situation has brought me to realize a significant downside of the revenue based qualification system. Back when it was miles it was a pretty significant challenge to do 100k or whatever, but could be done for relatively little revenue. But to do 100k+ on two different airlines would be really difficult for most, even gs flyers. But do do $25k in two airlines is now pretty easy for somebody qualifying for gs or the like. Especially since non-metal flights also count for the lower tiers. From the perspective of a high value flyer under the old system the 100k requirement would get them to $50 or $60k, so they might as well be gs. But since all they need is $24k for 1k, with no mileage or segment requirements, they can divide their loyalty and double their benefits. I wonder if that’s why the programs have increased $ req so much.

Depending in your flying patterns, might be a good trade off. You lose some benefits but gain huge in a whole other program.

Thanks, United, for opening up my eyes to the alternatives we have to loyalty to you. For me it was realizing two years ago that I can give up ua (1k for 12 years) and fly UA when it makes sense for a transcon or something and the rest of the time save hours on each flight by flying out of my local airport 10 minutes away and enjoying the benefits of the southwest program (which actually reduces mileage req for awards when the price goes down). So On UA I have gone from $12-14K/year to about $1-2K a year. But think of all the money they saved not providing me benefits.

For my Gs wife it’s the realization that she can be top tier in two programs and take the flights that make sense instead of always trying to book united and star alliance.

Last edited by Boghopper; Apr 6, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
If i dont have GS confirmed soon, i am happy to not book United.

Just so short sighted, penny wise pound foolish.
I fully understand your response and need for assurance and certainty. Unfortunately, in this current environment, certainty is far from assured.
I would not jump to OAL unless OAL provide better scheduling, services and connections etc. If you are going out of your way to make GS instead of flying airlines that are in better position to meet your travel needs, then I agree you jump.

Unless you are certain your travels post Covid-19 can get you DL 360 or AA GC, chances are you will be a 1K based on reduced qualification and soft landing to 1K until Jan 31, 2022. You will still have GS benefits until 1/31/2021 and 1K benefits until 1/31/2022.

Why start at the bottom at another airlines and giving up the benefits between now and 1/31/2022? You may still requalify for GS if UA lower the threshold for requalification, which is quite likely at the moment.

This is the same advice I give to my GS colleagues, because their initial reaction is to jump, but most of them calm down and realize the alternatives are not much better. There is more certainty they may still requalify for GS than deal with the uncertainty with other two programs.
iluv2fly and drklain like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I fully understand your response and need for assurance and certainty. Unfortunately, in this current environment, certainty is far from assured.
I would not jump to OAL unless OAL provide better scheduling, services and connections etc. If you are going out of your way to make GS instead of flying airlines that are in better position to meet your travel needs, then I agree you jump.

Unless you are certain your travels post Covid-19 can get you DL 360 or AA GC, chances are you will be a 1K based on reduced qualification and soft landing to 1K until Jan 31, 2022. You will still have GS benefits until 1/31/2021 and 1K benefits until 1/31/2022.

Why start at the bottom at another airlines and giving up the benefits between now and 1/31/2022? You may still requalify for GS if UA lower the threshold for requalification, which is quite likely at the moment.

This is the same advice I give to my GS colleagues, because their initial reaction is to jump, but most of them calm down and realize the alternatives are not much better. There is more certainty they may still requalify for GS than deal with the uncertainty with other two programs.
Won’t start at the bottom. I’m sure dl and aa will be happy to match to their top (non invitation) tier, or a challenge that will be a doddle for a gs. And maybe they will see an opportunity to poach very valuable customers that ua takes for granted, I guess we’ll have to see. My guess is that gs feedback will get the attention of ua and they will be doing something about the chasm between what they are offering gs (nothing) and the very generous (but copied) benefits for everybody else. Wait, I just realized they are waiting to copy whatever DL decides to do. UA make a decision about their FF program that isn’t aping another program? What was I thinking?
Dyce likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boghopper
Won’t start at the bottom. I’m sure dl and aa will be happy to match to their top (non invitation) tier, or a challenge that will be a doddle for a gs. And maybe they will see an opportunity to poach very valuable customers that ua takes for granted, I guess we’ll have to see. My guess is that gs feedback will get the attention of ua and they will be doing something about the chasm between what they are offering gs (nothing) and the very generous (but copied) benefits for everybody else. Wait, I just realized they are waiting to copy whatever DL decides to do. UA make a decision about their FF program that isn’t aping another program? What was I thinking?
Good point!

Yes, if AA and DL can offer matching from day one of the switch, then it is definitely a good way to go pending on if other factors such as scheduling, location, RDM balances play in the decision process for each individual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.