Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by meducate
I believe that it has been previously reported that no MM companion cards were sent this year.
No MM companion card/luggage tags for my spouse. She did last year as a MM 1K companion.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by limey1K
No MM companion card/luggage tags for my spouse. She did last year as a MM 1K companion.
Are they coming later or not at all this year?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Originally Posted by limey1K
Are they coming later or not at all this year?
This is extensive covered in 2020 MP member kits discussion - contents, pics, actual delivery,...

In short, No companion card was included in 2020 kits (if the companion had earned Plat or higher, they did receive a separate kit with card) for any companion status level (including GS). There was a note in the elite's kit for the companion to use the UA app virtual card.

Some agents have stated companion cards can be requested (but no cards for any Gold MM companions).

Let's continue any discussion on companion card in the above thread.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
I was set to easily hit my GS $18k challenge, but with COVID-19, I've already canceled 3 tickets. The money has been spent with United, but most of the flights are to be rescheduled and have not been flown. I suppose they won't give an exception for this situation.

I would imagine others are having issues meeting their challenge, given the situation?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
Any word on Challenge Extentions?

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but thought I would ask. I originally did my GS challenge starting in Jan. I would have easily made it by early March with one international flight in particular. As is, I only got $6k in domestic spend in January and do not see myself in the air again until maybe July. I saw they kicked the can out another month, so I have until end of April, but that is truly a no-fly zone for me right now. Any heard if they may reopen challenges to June or July or something?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
With rumored extension of UA premier status by a year, until 2022, will GS status be extended as well?

Is GS technically part of official premier program?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by kb1992
With rumored extension of UA premier status by a year, until 2022, will GS status be extended as well?

Is GS technically part of official premier program?
GS is not part of the program, but it needs to be considered as part of extension. I noted DL was also silent on its 360 program.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
GS is not part of the program, but it needs to be considered as part of extension. I noted DL was also silent on its 360 program.
they could take a selective GS approach, but it would only be fair to do an across the board approach. None of us have benefited from GS benefits this year. I only have $5K spend in 2020, very little time spent on UA aircraft so GS would be a waste if they don’t extend.
kb1992 and small ring like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: United Global Services
I would be extremely surprised if UA doesn't include GS in their status extension. Why would they apply different logic to their highest value customers as opposed to the rest of their Premier ranks?

I think the more interesting question will be how UA determines first-time GS qualification for the 2021 program year.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
we'll know about GS once info from Delta leaks how they handle 360 ... pretty obvious
iluv2fly, small ring and jjmoore like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
we'll know about GS once info from Delta leaks how they handle 360 ... pretty obvious
The One Mile at a Time article about United's extensions specifically called out that Global Services will be extended as well. Would be very surprising if they included that specific detail if it wasn't part of the communication they received from United or a follow-up question.

Edit: Per United's official release (https://hub.united.com/united-mileag...645643749.html) only officially extending up to Premier 1K. We'll have to see what they do with GS members...

Last edited by n8-the-gr8; Apr 5, 2020 at 7:58 pm Reason: Update
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
The One Mile at a Time article about United's extensions specifically called out that Global Services will be extended as well. Would be very surprising if they included that specific detail if it wasn't part of the communication they received from United or a follow-up question.

Edit: Per United's official release (https://hub.united.com/united-mileag...645643749.html) only officially extending up to Premier 1K. We'll have to see what they do with GS members...
This makes me nervous. Just emailed the GS desk to hopefully get clarification.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
To be honest, the fact the official release doesn't mention GS is not a surprise. United has NEVER published anything about GS qualification (or most benefits) anywhere on their site. Most places, they only show General Member through 1K. I suspect that is the case here as well. Obviously we will have to wait and see what guidance United puts out to GS members, but I would be shocked (and very disappointed) if United bounces all of us out to GS in 2021 yet extends everyone else based on 2019 earned status all the way to the end of 2021. Obviously this is a moving target and my guess will be we won't get any official word from United for a while (if at all), but who knows...
Xyzzy, LIH and ei124 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:29 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Just received an email from United that says status extended through end of 2021...however the language and bullets it uses are exactly the same as the website announcement and it makes no mention of Global Services and specifically calls out "through 1K". It does say that the extension will be reflected on the status page of the account in the coming weeks, so presumably we will all see something by the end of April. That said, I don't see any place where it shows an "expiration" or "good through" on status except on the virtual card in the app...but maybe I'm missing it somewhere?

Last edited by drklain; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:37 pm
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum,
United GS

I sent an email to Global Services too. United should promptly contact all GS members and confirm the extension through Jan. 2022 just like it now has done for all of the lower tiers. Given that we are their best customers, they should have told us that no later than when they tell all the lower-tier travelers who spend far, far less per year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.