Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
I had an email exchange with GS today where I suggested "say something" to the current GS members even if the something is -- "we don't know what we're going to do; please be patient".

Their reply to my email was only "We plan on providing more information on the 2021 Global Services program later in the year."
The AI is in charge. Humans are to be harvested.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I have a pal who says Kirby plans to use this crisis to eliminate the GS program. Plausible?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: United Global Services
All of this is very frustrating. I will not soon forget the feeling of UA granting better concessions (and timelier communication) to Premier Silvers than to GS.

Please write to UA if you are similarly frustrated. We need to speak up.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by manstein58
I have a pal who says Kirby plans to use this crisis to eliminate the GS program. Plausible?
Nt at all.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Any basis for that speculation?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:47 pm

Never waste a crisis. The staff who aren’t afraid of them probably think they’re a bunch of dykwia crybabies.

At least he wouldn’t be copying Delta. A+ for boldness, D- for competence
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any basis for that speculation?
Been squeezing GS since he arrived. Kirby believes program not worth the efforts. Most captive anyway
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:30 pm

Been squeezing GS since he arrived. Kirby believes program not worth the efforts. Most captive anyway
He might be right about that. Definitely some Stockholm syndrome going on with that crowd,
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Kirby believes program not worth the efforts. ...
When / where was that said?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
What amazes me the most is how disastrous it is on a communication standpoint.
Manage to upset your best customers after making everyone else happy.

I could see why they are not extending but in that case at least they could communicate saying that invitations will be reviewed keeping in mind the exceptional circonstances of the year and that they are counting on the exceptional loyalty of their GS flyers to write a new chapter of United’s history.

Anyways, we’ll see what’s left of the service/benefits/amemities/perks when we get back in the air but I feel it will be a new opportunity to cut cut cut even more !
ei124 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum,
ei124, you said it perfectly. I did the same thing and sent an email to Global Services. More people need to complain. The fact that they treat Silvers better than Global Services is extremely disappointing.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When / where was that said?
It is reflected in the actions UA has taken since Kirby came on board to devalue the GS program. Pick your poison: death by a thousand cuts or turning up the temp on the frog but the message is the same; elites are a nuisance and top-of-the-tier elites are a special nuisance. Can anyone say that GS at the beginning of 2020 was better than it was in 2018? 2016?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ChiTownAndy
ei124, you said it perfectly. I did the same thing and sent an email to Global Services. More people need to complain. The fact that they treat Silvers better than Global Services is extremely disappointing.
That's exactly what I pointed out in my reply to them: "This is extremely disappointing news, where United has chosen to provide certainly and clarity to lower-status members, while ignoring its most valuable customers. I have talked to several other GS colleagues over the past two days, and while we expect United will eventually do the right thing the optics of this towards your best customers has not gone unnoticed."

You guarantee me 1K? I've already earned it myself! ...and see people on FT talking about end-year mileage runs to get it for half the "price" now. The optics of this stink.
manstein58 and abul01 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
That's exactly what I pointed out in my reply to them: "This is extremely disappointing news, where United has chosen to provide certainly and clarity to lower-status members, while ignoring its most valuable customers. I have talked to several other GS colleagues over the past two days, and while we expect United will eventually do the right thing the optics of this towards your best customers has not gone unnoticed."

You guarantee me 1K? I've already earned it myself! ...and see people on FT talking about end-year mileage runs to get it for half the "price" now. The optics of this stink.
I agree. I am very disappointed with this. I received no communication directly as others it appears. I guess they felt no reason to email me since I reached 3MM last month so I will have 1K regardless. I cherish my hard earned Global Services status which I have had for 8 consecutive years. I was well on my way for 2021 when traveling halted. I hope United "does the right thing"...
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by KevinPK1
I agree. I am very disappointed with this. I received no communication directly as others it appears. I guess they felt no reason to email me since I reached 3MM last month so I will have 1K regardless. I cherish my hard earned Global Services status which I have had for 8 consecutive years. I was well on my way for 2021 when traveling halted. I hope United "does the right thing"...
I don't think they communicated with anyone - those of us getting responses are because we wrote to the GS email address. (Who in my case didn't even bother answering - they forwarded it to MP Service)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.