Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by st530
When did this happen? I asked upthread and was told no announcement (see posts 1096 and 1098).
AA has extended their GS status by a year.

LordHamster likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AvisFirst/Presidential
If you saw the first email response they sent you'd understand the reason for the scathing response. It couldn't have been more frustrating...
LordHamster and jdc79 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
So AA has extended CK and DL has extended 360? Surprised United is the last to respond...
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
So AA has extended CK and DL has extended 360? Surprised United is the last to respond...
AFAIK DL has not made a decision to extend 360.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by kb1992
AFAIK DL has not made a decision to extend 360.
Hadn't seen an official announcement personally but have heard anecdotally from folks that Delta called them as 360 members to let them know their status was being extended as well. Not sure if those were blanket or just to folks with a large spend history or who had spent enough in 2020 to justify already.
ironmanjt likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Came here to post the AA CK extension information, but of course it is already here. Hopefully enough people write in to notify them of this, as we can't be sure who is reading this information.
LordHamster likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
AA has extended their GS status by a year.

The “customers are parasitic scum” ethic left AA with Kirby and now resides at United. Case in point.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
My guess is that United's response will come within the next few days now that AA has made a decision.... It would be odd for united to dismiss their top generators... in my humble opinion.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cbono
My guess is that United's response will come within the next few days now that AA has made a decision.... It would be odd for united to dismiss their top generators... in my humble opinion.
Eerily quiet
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
United has historically never wanted to put things in writing about Global Services. I suspect that there is a debate going on right now...do we do the extension and match up or do we just stay quiet and hope to get as much revenue as possible out of existing GSs in a year that will be disastrous for United (and the industry). I also believe that "providing some sense of stability to the GS members" is at the bottom of a list of issues they are dealing with right now so I'm not surprised at the continued silence because that is the easiest path to take.
njs281 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by drklain
United has historically never wanted to put things in writing about Global Services. I suspect that there is a debate going on right now...do we do the extension and match up or do we just stay quiet and hope to get as much revenue as possible out of existing GSs in a year that will be disastrous for United (and the industry). I also believe that "providing some sense of stability to the GS members" is at the bottom of a list of issues they are dealing with right now so I'm not surprised at the continued silence because that is the easiest path to take.
100% Agreed -- except the part about the debate. I think the discussion is over.

They want to lean on the GS community in Sep/Oct/Nov/Dec to propel them into a Q1 Vaccine window.

GS will launch fire and brimstone on FT, but at the end of the day, GS needs their 'fix'. GS will not only buy tickets, but they will also do things like flying SFO-EWR-CDG instead of SFO-CDG later this year.

UA is hoping this gets them over the chasm to a Vaccine!
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My prediction:

In the end, all current GS will get renewed.

There will also be new GS with 50% reduction of normal GS spend e.g. $25K-30K in 2020 to be invited.
iluv2fly, drklain and HoyaSFOIAD like this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
My prediction:

In the end, all current GS will get renewed.

There will also be new GS with 50% reduction of normal GS spend e.g. $25K-30K in 2020 to be invited.
​​​​​​

They pretty much have to unless they’re planning on selling the seed corn.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Talked with GS agent yesterday and was told we(GS Persons) will get an email by the end of the month.
abul01 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by shelby101
Talked with GS agent yesterday and was told we(GS Persons) will get an email by the end of the month.
Ooooo, a new variation on the "I heard from a flight attendant..."
manstein58 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.