Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
The GS team replied to me this morning about the status extension and said only that it remains an invite only program and at this time they are NOT extending status but are reviewing future qualification options.

The annoying thing for GS in particular is that they typically soft land you to 1K anyway if you don't make GS again. So essentially all regular Premier members are getting an olive branch, whereas possibly GS folks will be getting status quo treatment. I don't consider reducing qualification criteria (especially if they remain unpublished) to be an olive branch because you're essentially just pro-rating by the "flyable" months in the year (and 50% is liberal based on the economic outlook and likely corporate flying restrictions).

We'll see if they end up doing something in the middle where they give challenges out more widely to keep GS or make the criteria for re-qual more transparent to allow people to try to hit a marker. Don't want to say it's so straightforward as just extending status but I do wonder what the trade off really is in terms of cost to serve GS vs. good will from more broadly extending it. It's hard to predict which customers who have revenue completely fall off this year, will continue to not fly next year vs. resume travel patterns.
limey1K likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
The GS team replied to me this morning about the status extension and said only that it remains an invite only program and at this time they are NOT extending status but are reviewing future qualification options.

The annoying thing for GS in particular is that they typically soft land you to 1K anyway if you don't make GS again. So essentially all regular Premier members are getting an olive branch, whereas possibly GS folks will be getting status quo treatment. I don't consider reducing qualification criteria (especially if they remain unpublished) to be an olive branch because you're essentially just pro-rating by the "flyable" months in the year (and 50% is liberal based on the economic outlook and likely corporate flying restrictions).

We'll see if they end up doing something in the middle where they give challenges out more widely to keep GS or make the criteria for re-qual more transparent to allow people to try to hit a marker. Don't want to say it's so straightforward as just extending status but I do wonder what the trade off really is in terms of cost to serve GS vs. good will from more broadly extending it. It's hard to predict which customers who have revenue completely fall off this year, will continue to not fly next year vs. resume travel patterns.
I think the thing they’re not realizing is that for this qualification year the best indicator of future business (which is ultimately what all this loyalty program stuff is about) will not be this year but the year or two before.

i can’t imagine they will want to dispel the mystery of gs by introducing some sort of bonus or threshold or who knows what related to it. So they are left with either a do over for everybody next year or just playing coy and business as usual with what must be some reduced threshold come December.

If they only reward those who fly UA no matter what and blindly go to the end of the year hoping they make some reduced threshold, I don’t think the GS program can be driving incremental revenue. And isn’t that ultimately the point of all of this for them?

Or maybe they think that most of their GS customer are just shuffling through life not really aware of the program details. But then why have it?
manstein58 likes this.

Last edited by Boghopper; Apr 6, 2020 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boghopper
.... Not the call I would make for my highest value customers (30% of revenue? ...
You are an order of magnitude off
say there are 25,000 GSs and the average spend is $100,000 for that 25,000 (very generous numbers) -- that is $2.5B -- 6% of UA annual revenues ($43B in 2019). Since some of those GS are companions / corporate selections / .... the number is probably below 5%. You would need to be $0.5M/GS to get to 30%

Note it is of similar magnitude, perhaps a tad higher the 1K community revenue.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You are an order of magnitude off
say there are 25,000 GSs and the average spend is $100,000 for that 25,000 (very generous numbers) -- that is $2.5B -- 6% of UA annual revenues ($43B in 2019). Since some of those GS are companions / corporate selections / .... the number is probably below 5%. Note it is of similiar magnitude, perhaps a tad higher the 1K community revenue.
whatever it is, still a big number and a disproportionate share of their profits
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
i think that a big issue here is that a lot of us GS are corporate travelers that may or may not have discretion on who we travel. I for one do and with a stupid decision like that, i will book outside UA for the rest of 2020 at least and wait and see myself. The quicker i get clarity, the quicker i can decide, this decision they have made has allowed me to look else where for now. Time to email for some status matching.
Solyesh likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I know this is not an apple to apple comparison:

SQ was able to grant blanket extension to both Krisflyer and PPS members status at the same time in a same announcement.

PPS is a revenue based program but unlike GS, the $ is published. I don’t have to spend another penny to keep my PPS for another year. I thought this move by SQ did demonstrate its appreciation and loyalty to its high revenue passengers. I, for one, will shift my bookings to SQ on many of my flights where other *A airlines compete with SQ.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Under my "My Premier Activity" page on united.com, it says "We will review 2021 United Global Services invitations at year-end."

While I understand the intent of not wanting to just do a blanket GS status extension, the recent UA status extension announcements do appear to favor Silver through 1K members. If you spent $50K in 2019 to qualify for 2020 GS, but didn't get to experience the benefits because flying has been practically non-existent, it does not seem to be fair to not extend GS for 2021. In my book, this is a "do over year", United should treat it from a loyalty perspective as though it didn't even exist.
ChiTownAndy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
i think that a big issue here is that a lot of us GS are corporate travelers that may or may not have discretion on who we travel. I for one do and with a stupid decision like that, i will book outside UA for the rest of 2020 at least and wait and see myself. The quicker i get clarity, the quicker i can decide, this decision they have made has allowed me to look else where for now. Time to email for some status matching.
I completely agree with this point. Whatever United ultimately decides to do, if they wait to communicate until end of year that is a huge mistake. And given how wildly things are changing this year, I don't think the original concept of an opaque ambiguous threshold (which normally may incentivize "over-spend" to ensure you are invited to GS) works here. There was previously a general notion of a 50k threshold for those in the know and for those not in the know, if you travel a lot internationally a year's worth of travel even if split across carriers could get you invited. Now with just a half year or less of likely less travel, it's anyone's guess what they would consider if they say nothing.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Under my "My Premier Activity" page on united.com, it says "We will review 2021 United Global Services invitations at year-end."
I believe this is what it has always said...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
in fairness, they do try to keep the size of the GS customer base manageable. So simply extending all those who are GS this year automatically, without some form of review at the end of the year, ensures that they will add a bunch of new quals at the end of the year while keeping the existing, which makes GS status that much less unique. How else do you reward those who quality for 2021 based on 2020 miles?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by harryhood
in fairness, they do try to keep the size of the GS customer base manageable. So simply extending all those who are GS this year automatically, without some form of review at the end of the year, ensures that they will add a bunch of new quals at the end of the year while keeping the existing, which makes GS status that much less unique. How else do you reward those who quality for 2021 based on 2020 miles?
I don’t know what annual turnover is but I can’t imagine they’ll have a “bunch” of new ones this year. Unless they make the qual threshold low, but that will get them a bunch of false positives. If I were them I would extend gs for existing, allow qualification for for those who somehow hit 50k or whatever, and then a status challenge next year or the end of this year for those who would have hit it on a pro rated basis.

given the special circumstances, I think the last year or two is a better indicator of their best customers than whatever ends up happening this year.

and if they overshoot it will be back to business as usual soon enough. And god forbid they give gs for a year to a few who “only” buy 20k or whatever. That’s end of the world stuff right there.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Given the above I feel bad for those that finally achieved GS status this year only to find out they won't get renewed automatically into 2022. I wouldn't be happy, seems like you would have had limited use of your status in 2021 for sure.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Given the above I feel bad for those that finally achieved GS status this year only to find out they won't get renewed automatically into 2022. ....
at this time. Let's see how this plays out. There was much gashing of teeth about status extension before the announcement for the earned elite levels

Appears none of the US3 have made any decisions yet about their invitation levels.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
at this time. Let's see how this plays out. There was much gashing of teeth about status extension before the announcement for the earned elite levels

Appears none of the US3 have made any decisions yet about their invitation levels.
It's not such a straightforward answer either. I imagine the average cost to serve a GS member is much higher than 1K - sure some of the costs are fixed but even staffing levels of GS agents is somewhat variable. So they're likely considering not only incentivizing incremental revenue / building goodwill with valuable members but also what levers they have for reducing costs in the near-term. So the whole program is likely being evaluated from a P&L standpoint along with the associated impact of various decisions they make regarding member requalification.

Frustrating nonetheless, but I get it. I have friends at United and other travel companies and don't envy the position they're in - for those that aren't furloughed, working like crazy to keep the ship afloat, terrible morale, reduced compensation in some cases.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
I had an email exchange with GS today where I suggested "say something" to the current GS members even if the something is -- "we don't know what we're going to do; please be patient".

Their reply to my email was only "We plan on providing more information on the 2021 Global Services program later in the year."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.