Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by nevansm
41k on UA in 2019, no invite yet (was holding out hope). 88k 3 year spend.

Has anyone had luck with a manual review of account for GS based on other airlines flying? Two of the routes I flew (and will continue to fly) heavily (3-4x a month) featured 1 cabin UA flights, so I was flying AA/DL, paid F. With the advent of the CR5, both routes now feature 2-cabin on most flights, and I'll gladly shift my business to UA. I have all documentation (AA/DL receipts, and audit of spend). Spend on AA/DL was $27k combined last year. Washington DC based.
I would be very surprised given that they can see Star Alliance and yet do not count that towards GS consideration. GS is meant more as a retention tool once you've demonstrated significant enough spend for them to want to incrementally invest in keeping you vs. a perk to try to win your business if you're not there yet. Again - it's a black box so who knows but that's my intuition.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
$53k PQD ($48k UA). No dice. Still says in review, check back Jan 10. SFO based.

Unless something miraculously happens tomorrow morning, I guess GS was nice when it lasted. (Although I could always beg work for a GS seat... hmmm.)
thektwins likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
$53k PQD ($48k UA). No dice. Still says in review, check back Jan 10. SFO based.

Unless something miraculously happens tomorrow morning, I guess GS was nice when it lasted. (Although I could always beg work for a GS seat... hmmm.)
Where does it say “in review”? App? Mystatus page?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by djmp
Where does it say “in review”? App? Mystatus page?
Mystatus page, although it just went unavailable:

Status update in progress

Our site is temporarily unavailable as we process additional 2020 Premier qualifications. The site will be available again by early afternoon on January 10.
thektwins likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:14 am

fml

An update on your Premier status

Dear xxx,

We appreciate your commitment to United®. Thank you for making us your airline of choice so often throughout the year.

Based on your flight activity, we're unable to offer you United Global Services® status for 2020, but we'd like to welcome you to Premier® 1K®, our highest published status level. You’ll continue to enjoy United Global Services benefits through January 31, 2020. After that, your Premier 1K status will still afford you many exclusive benefits, including 280 PlusPoints for flexible, customizable upgrades and 11 award miles for every dollar spent on United flights.

We consider many different factors when finalizing United Global Services invitations, including how much each top Premier member has spent on United flights over the last few years. We'll monitor your travel activity in 2020 with hopes of being able to welcome you back to United Global Services in 2021. On behalf of everyone at United, we greatly appreciate your loyalty and wish you all the best in your travels.

Best regards,
Your MileagePlus team
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:15 am

It’s back up. Didn’t make it this year after 2 years of GS. Guess there are more IAH flyers now - stats were comparable to some of the new GS this year. Congrats to all who made it!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
Also didn't get it with 41.2k PQD and 130k+ spend over the last two years. Two years of GS was nice. Maybe I'll get back soon. Might e-mail asking for a challenge.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:18 am

challenge

what’s the process for asking for a challenge? who do you email and what do you say? when are you supposed to do it?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Just got my official denial letter. What is the best way to ask for a challenge? I will be traveling business on United to Asia 3-4 times by the end of March.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Just got my official denial letter. What is the best way to ask for a challenge? I will be traveling business on United to Asia 3-4 times by the end of March.
Typically a couple days after today is when they start to accept challenge requests. If the challenge is offered (they can simply deny, offer you a challenge or grant you GS), they used to allow you to specify the date range (was a 90 day period) to meet xx,xxx $'s in spend.

I also received a denial notification.

Good luck!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by TavionT
Typically a couple days after today is when they start to accept challenge requests. If the challenge is offered (they can simply deny, offer you a challenge or grant you GS), they used to allow you to specify the date range (was a 90 day period) to meet xx,xxx $'s in spend.

Good luck!
Do we just e-mail our request into the normal GS e-mail address?

Best of luck!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TavionT

Good luck!
so do you typically call or email them? and do you wait a few days or can you do it now?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Do we just e-mail our request into the normal GS e-mail address?

Best of luck!
I've called in years past but I assume they'd accept it via email.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
Didn't requalify. ORD-based $54K PQD, 210K PQM. All ticketed "016", flew some LX. Disappointing....
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by ua1Kinl
Didn't requalify. ORD-based $54K PQD, 210K PQM. All ticketed "016", flew some LX. Disappointing....
oh wow... even with 54k? wow.... sorry to hear... my guess is everyone will ask "ok... Were the 54k pqd all United metal?... what were also the result u got for the past 3 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.