Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by liddy0021
I was GS for ~8 years in a row, but didn't get invited for the 2019 year ("only" ~$39K spend on UA metal in 2018). I sent in a request for re-review on Feb 1, and was given a $15k spend in 3 months challenge. I was later granted GS status again after meeting the challenge, but those first few fights w/o GS were a tad painful, I'm not going to lie. This year I'm sitting at ~$44K, and I'm not holding my breath.

Note: you can set your own 3 month period - for example, if your heavy spend doesn't come around the time of the challenge request.
Got it - and so the way it works is that you lose the status on Feb 1st - and while you challenge you are down to 1K? And then if you complete the challenge and spend the $15K, you are GS but only for the remainder of the year? Do you recall if PQD is the right metric to track it or if it is a specific UA Metal $ amount that differs from your UA Account PQD spend?

Also, if you can pick the dates of the challenge, could you do the challenge in the second half of the year to get status for both the current year and the following year?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:12 am

I'm sitting on the bubble, and not sure if I will make it this year. Have been GS for the last 4 years running, but last year(2018) had only $38k in spending and was pretty surprised when I was given GS for 2019.

2019 - $47k to date, may not have any further travel
2018 - $38k
2017 - $63k
2016 - $62k
2015 - $58k

On the plus side, my revenue per seat mile is about $0.82 due to most trips being EWR -> Asia in business class and EWR ->SFO/LA business class.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by RobzPlanet
I'm sitting on the bubble, and not sure if I will make it this year. Have been GS for the last 4 years running, but last year(2018) had only $38k in spending and was pretty surprised when I was given GS for 2019.

2019 - $47k to date, may not have any further travel
2018 - $38k
2017 - $63k
2016 - $62k
2015 - $58k

On the plus side, my revenue per seat mile is about $0.82 due to most trips being EWR -> Asia in business class and EWR ->SFO/LA business class.

You've been a pretty consistent AND valuable customer. If I were UA, I'd be loathe to hack off someone bringing in 47K/year
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
You've been a pretty consistent AND valuable customer. If I were UA, I'd be loathe to hack off someone bringing in 47K/year
From your lips to God's ear. I'm hoping that you are correct.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:24 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobzPlanet
From your lips to God's ear. I'm hoping that you are correct.
I also just don't think there are that many flyers who can consistently hit $60K+ as well. I don't think UA wants you considering other options when they know in an "average" year you're a GS-level spender.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
GS chances?

Interested to know what you all think of chances my husband has for GS in 2020 (asking for my benefit of course!)

Stats YTD:

PQM 313,000
PQS 67
PQD $64,579

Have another 37,000 PQMs confirmed w/ possibly another 20,000 on top before the year is out. Flights are generally transatlantic J w/ a little domestic on top (mix of Y and J) - almost exclusively UA metal and 016 tickets

Was 1K last year at around 120,000 PQM - silver in the past before that
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Assuming that "almost exclusively" means 60k+ of that PQD is on UA metal, he should be good.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes it's around the $60k mark on UA metal now and will be over $70k by the end of the year
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
What was his UA spend last year and the year before. While this year looks good, if they hold to the (theorized) "minimum of $100K in the last three years) and he was light last year and the year before, he might be short. That said, if he as a 1K last year presumably his spend was at least $30K which should mean he's above $100K in just the last two years and in good shape. Just FYI, WRT GS, United really could care less about PQM, it's all about the dollars on United flights only (code share, star alliance, etc. don't count so you can't trust what your account page says, you need to manually count it out if he has non-UA metal flights)...

Good luck to you both!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by drklain
What was his UA spend last year and the year before. While this year looks good, if they hold to the (theorized) "minimum of $100K in the last three years) and he was light last year and the year before, he might be short. That said, if he as a 1K last year presumably his spend was at least $30K which should mean he's above $100K in just the last two years and in good shape. Just FYI, WRT GS, United really could care less about PQM, it's all about the dollars on United flights only (code share, star alliance, etc. don't count so you can't trust what your account page says, you need to manually count it out if he has non-UA metal flights)...

Good luck to you both!
I don't think I've heard of anyone getting rejected over 60k spend, regardless of history with UA. Certainly never 70k. The 100k is just a baseline we've put together on FT to track the 35-50 requals and the occasional 50-ish reject.
drklain likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
...and the occasional 50-ish reject.
I know one of those losers.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

I would imagine it’s a 2 bar system

something like
first test
+65k in 1 year admit

If not that then
$100k escalating spend over the past 3 years (I added escalating as I have a hard time imagining someone with 65k year 1, 20k year 2, 20k year 3 making it).
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, MM
Originally Posted by paulj2k
Got it - and so the way it works is that you lose the status on Feb 1st - and while you challenge you are down to 1K? And then if you complete the challenge and spend the $15K, you are GS but only for the remainder of the year? Do you recall if PQD is the right metric to track it or if it is a specific UA Metal $ amount that differs from your UA Account PQD spend?

Also, if you can pick the dates of the challenge, could you do the challenge in the second half of the year to get status for both the current year and the following year?
Yes, you go down to 1K until the challenge is met. And yes, you are only GS for the rest of the year - no, it wouldn't matter if you wait until the second half of the year. You would only get it for the remainder of the current year.

Re: PQD, it's anybody's guess because invitation criteria *isn't published anywhere* - however, for the challenge it had to all be on UA metal, minus taxes and fees yada yada. So - the easiest way to track is to export your account details to excel and manage it that way. Or, at least that's what I do....
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
Update since August 2019:

SFO Based
2019 YTD
PQM: 314K
PQD: $70,447

Mostly all International flights, all in Business Class. 99.999% united metal only this year to ensure to do my part to get this GS.
Still have some Domestic but Business...SFO/NYC few times before year end.

PQM: 226K
PQD: $50K

I kept an open email thread with GS main office... and kept them posted on my evolution this year.... Hoping to become GS..
If i don't get it... i don't know what else to do lol
jonisflying likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cbono
Update since August 2019:

SFO Based
2019 YTD
PQM: 314K
PQD: $70,447

Mostly all International flights, all in Business Class. 99.999% united metal only this year to ensure to do my part to get this GS.
Still have some Domestic but Business...SFO/NYC few times before year end.

PQM: 226K
PQD: $50K

I kept an open email thread with GS main office... and kept them posted on my evolution this year.... Hoping to become GS..
If i don't get it... i don't know what else to do lol
You're in, I wouldn't worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.