Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
2019 GS Timeline:
  • First requalification notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
  • First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
  • Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
  • Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
  • First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2019

If you have received notification about your 2020 GS status, please post in
Global Services 2020 Notifications (ONLY) -- "no discussion" (and as title suggests, this is just for notifications, use this thread for discussions / queries
and
Originally Posted by jp12687
Form Link to collect this years qualification (or rejection) information

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

You can view the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.
Last year's thread
GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2020 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by manstein58
“Trailing three year trend” has replaced “cpm” as a qualifying metric, correct?
Happy to be corrected, but been following this thread carefully and everything is speculation - I don't think anyone knows for sure.
UA_Flyer, wxguy and manstein58 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by manstein58
“Trailing three year trend” has replaced “cpm” as a qualifying metric, correct? And specualtion as to the date of first requalifications? Der Tag?
I thought CPM had been proven to be a FlyerTalk myth that was never a qualifying metric.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I thought CPM had been proven to be a FlyerTalk myth that was never a qualifying metric.
You correct - I posted earlier that we had several people on my team get GS with much mess than 100k miles but over $50k spend all on UA metal.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
I have been 1K for the past 5 years and have been plat, gold, silver in years before that. Have never hit GS before and if I am going to have a chance it will be this year. However, I'm not sure if it is worth it and would love some opinions, especially from those who already have GS.

Currently I am $43,779 PQD (about 80% on UA metal) with 185,774 PQM based in EWR. I have an upcoming trip to Jakarta and can fly EWR-NRT-CGK on UA/NH which would take me to about $54,000 PQD and 219,000 PQM. This seems to put me in running for GS based on what I see from other people's numbers. However, one of the NH legs is in Y (C sold out it seems); not the biggest deal, but also not a short flight.

Alternatively, I can fly on SQ EWR-SIN-CGK which has a slightly better schedule, slightly shorter overall duration, but most importantly a much better experience than UA and doesn't require a leg in Y. If I choose this I am sure I will miss GS.

What do you recommend?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by qwicker
I have been 1K for the past 5 years and have been plat, gold, silver in years before that. Have never hit GS before and if I am going to have a chance it will be this year. However, I'm not sure if it is worth it and would love some opinions, especially from those who already have GS

What do you recommend?
Go for GS. One lukewarm trip isn’t going to matter in the long term and you have to at least try a year of GS and after the year if you don’t re-qualify they still give you a free year of 1k to fade you out.

I travel to Asia a bunch and there have been epic lines at the gates for the gate passport inspection. I’m talking hundreds of people. They pull the GS people out of the line and walk you right to the front. When I had an ORD connection with my elderly mom, they were waiting at the jetway with the United Mercedes to whisk is to our next gate.. The agent at SFO GS check in noted she was a slow walker and arranged it unprompted.

Doesn’t sound like a big deal but it’s a bunch of little things that add up. I say go for it!
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
It's really a question of what you value more. No question that the flight routing on SQ all in C will be much more comfortable and better than the UA routing that gets you the additional UA PQD. That said, if you will be traveling a lot next year and the GS is worth that much to you, it might be worth a few hours of pain for a year of GS. One thing i would look at very closely is exactly what your UA PQD is. Given that the UA routing only gets you to $54K PQD and you said that your $43.7K PWD is about 80% on United, the routing might not get you to over $50K UA PQD.

Was I you I would do the following:
1. Go through my records and figure out how many UA PQD I had in 2017 and 2018.
2. Figure out what my UA PQD to date for 2019 is.
3. Figure out what my UA PQD will be for 2019 if I take the Y class UA routing.
4. Figure out if (a) will i be over $50K UA PQD for 2019 and (b) what my 3 year UA PQD total is.

If the revised routing does NOT get you over $50K PQD, it is likely a moot point and not worth it since you would do that and probably not get GS. If the revised routing puts you just over $50K and your 3 year total is under $100K, you may be in the same boat. If the revised routing is OVER $50K UA PQD and your 3 year total is OVER $100K, then you need to answer the question you asked in your post, but it really comes down to what your actual numbers are. You are so borderline that I would want to figure out exactly what my numbers are before deciding as I'd hate to go for it only to end up falling short because my estimate was wrong.

Just my two cents' worth...
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
I have been 1K for the past 5 years and have been plat, gold, silver in years before that. Have never hit GS before and if I am going to have a chance it will be this year. However, I'm not sure if it is worth it and would love some opinions, especially from those who already have GS.

Currently I am $43,779 PQD (about 80% on UA metal) with 185,774 PQM based in EWR. I have an upcoming trip to Jakarta and can fly EWR-NRT-CGK on UA/NH which would take me to about $54,000 PQD and 219,000 PQM. This seems to put me in running for GS based on what I see from other people's numbers. However, one of the NH legs is in Y (C sold out it seems); not the biggest deal, but also not a short flight.

Alternatively, I can fly on SQ EWR-SIN-CGK which has a slightly better schedule, slightly shorter overall duration, but most importantly a much better experience than UA and doesn't require a leg in Y. If I choose this I am sure I will miss GS.

What do you recommend?
With "only" around $35K spend on UA metal YTD, I don't think it matters how you book a final trip (especially based out of Newark). FWIW, I'd book SQ and try to qualify for GS in 2020. Hope I am wrong. Good luck.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
You correct - I posted earlier that we had several people on my team get GS with much mess than 100k miles but over $50k spend all on UA metal.
actually getting with fewer miles would be greater cpm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by drklain
It's really a question of what you value more. No question that the flight routing on SQ all in C will be much more comfortable and better than the UA routing that gets you the additional UA PQD. That said, if you will be traveling a lot next year and the GS is worth that much to you, it might be worth a few hours of pain for a year of GS. One thing i would look at very closely is exactly what your UA PQD is. Given that the UA routing only gets you to $54K PQD and you said that your $43.7K PWD is about 80% on United, the routing might not get you to over $50K UA PQD.

Was I you I would do the following:
1. Go through my records and figure out how many UA PQD I had in 2017 and 2018.
2. Figure out what my UA PQD to date for 2019 is.
3. Figure out what my UA PQD will be for 2019 if I take the Y class UA routing.
4. Figure out if (a) will i be over $50K UA PQD for 2019 and (b) what my 3 year UA PQD total is.

If the revised routing does NOT get you over $50K PQD, it is likely a moot point and not worth it since you would do that and probably not get GS. If the revised routing puts you just over $50K and your 3 year total is under $100K, you may be in the same boat. If the revised routing is OVER $50K UA PQD and your 3 year total is OVER $100K, then you need to answer the question you asked in your post, but it really comes down to what your actual numbers are. You are so borderline that I would want to figure out exactly what my numbers are before deciding as I'd hate to go for it only to end up falling short because my estimate was wrong.

Just my two cents' worth...
Turns out my 2019 PDQ on UA metal would finish at $49,353. With that trip, my 3 year UA metal spend would probably be something like $80k - $85k. This year as seen a big uptick in paid J fares and is likely to continue next year. I wonder if UA considers that a lot of my PQD goes to NH because I have been flying to Jakarta a lot and it's not possible to get all the way there on UA.

I think I will go for it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Turns out my 2019 PDQ on UA metal would finish at $49,353. With that trip, my 3 year UA metal spend would probably be something like $80k - $85k.
Conventional wisdom here seems to say that $50k is the tipping point, and under $50k is only likely if you're more than $100k the previous three years.

That said, I'm going to be $50.5 myself with about $80 the last three years so I'm also going to be in the "hoping" boat. (If we knew CPM counted I'd probably book a DCA-ORD-DCA in full J to push me over, lol
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turns out my 2019 PDQ on UA metal would finish at $49,353.
Would a EWR-(UA)-SFO-(UA)-SIN-CGK routing maybe push your UA-metal spend above 50K?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Would a EWR-(UA)-SFO-(UA)-SIN-CGK routing maybe push your UA-metal spend above 50K?
There are lots of options to push my spend higher, but this is already an $11.5k fare and I don't have an unlimited airfare budget :P
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:33 pm

There are lots of options to push my spend higher, but this is already an $11.5k fare and I don't have an unlimited airfare budget :P
I'm sure you know this, but for US-CGK that's an insane biz fare. EWR-SIN-EWR prices out in P around $4,000 these days...maybe split things?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I'm sure you know this, but for US-CGK that's an insane biz fare. EWR-SIN-EWR prices out in P around $4,000 these days...maybe split things?
Yes, it is insane. But I certainly cannot find anything remotely close to what you're suggesting. My dates are 12/8 - 12/13. I just looked EWR-SIN-EWR on UA for those dates and they want $17k (yes seventeen thousand). laugh out loud
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:06 am

2009-2017: 1K every year, PQD in the $20-$40k. Never qualified for GS
2018: 226K PQM, $48,849 PQD ($46k on United metal). Didn't qualify. Requested review, declined. No challenge offered.

1.3m United lifetime miles.

2019 so far: PQM - 300K, PQD: $61,732. All United metal - 3 international J. Rest domestic first. Three remaining domestic trips for 2019 - about 18k PQM and $2.5k PQD. Based out of ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.