Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
+1 channa
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:14 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by channa
Supv.: Let's see...there are 2 people on the list for upgrades now. But let me go ahead and confirm you since there is 1 upgrade seat.

Customer: NO!!! That wouldn't be fair to the other customers who have been waiting for months. I'd like to waitlist instead.
From anyone else I would consider this dialogue a facetious work of art, but not from a man as literal as you. Still, your one-act play should have ended with no one on the wait-list clearing, because all your do-good customer succeeded in doing was to allow someone else to pull the upgrade out from under those sainted people waiting.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Wow. My post incited two pages of thread so far and we are all at odds on what's the right solution. I posted the "right" solution in that the computers do this automatically, and "immediately", when R>0. Since we know that will never happen then maybe UA should just upgrade the 'next in line' when someone calls. But that also brings up another point...UA probably doesn't want to do that. Remember guys, they are in the business of selling tickets, not upgrading tickets. Therefore, if they can keep R>0 as long as possible they can absolutely sell more tickets to people who are willing to use miles/GPU/RPU for upgrades. It's a selling tactic. "Mr. Customer, I see you are buying that ticket channa mentioned from EWR to LHR. Did you know there's one upgrade seat open right now?"

Anyway, back to the original post, I have a few more questions:
1. Why did it take them 20 minutes to figure out I was #7 on the waitlist? BTW...I assume the agent gave me factual information and didn't run off to the bathroom, do her nails and then come back and make it up on the spot.
2. Why can they suddenly give you exact, detailed information about your waitlist spot but if you call and ask where you are on the list the agent will say, "I have no idea and I can't get that info"?

I will say I have absolutely no ethical qualms about what I did. It absolutely is an every-man-for-himself game now at UA. So I'm going to play to my advantage every single time. You can bet on it.

But I think my new game plan is super simple...if I see R>0 I will call and just ask them to remove the GPU request. No harm, no foul and no asking for them to process my upgrade. Then I'll go online and process the upgrade myself. United wants to be a self-service airline then I will self-service. Thank you very much.

PS - I understand the "remove the GPU" only works if other segments haven't already cleared and are now at R=0. I agree with bonehead...it's not worth the risk of hoping the inventory goes back into "R" if you give up the seat. So you have to worry about the longer segment with this methodology.

-RM
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
But I think my new game plan is super simple...if I see R>0 I will call and just ask them to remove the GPU request. No harm, no foul. Then I'll go online and process the upgrade myself. United wants to be a self-service airline then I will self-service. Thank you very much.

-RM
The only issue I have with this is, it always seems that I'm down to my final RPU or GPU pledged in the waitlist when this happens. So I don't have a second one waiting in the bank to upgrade with after the first is removed, and one can't depend on how long the first one takes to recredit. Or am I missing something here?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starman
The only issue I have with this is, it always seems that I'm down to my final RPU or GPU pledged in the waitlist when this happens. So I don't have a second one waiting in the bank to upgrade with after the first is removed, and one can't depend on how long the first one takes to recredit. Or am I missing something here?
It's been hit or miss for me. The agent who refunded my GPU this week had it back in the account when I applied the new one online. But this is also something to consider for sure. I've seen it take 24 hours to process. But I'm usually not on my last GPU and will wind up using some for domestic upgrades in Q1 of the following year to burn them.

-RM
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why can they suddenly give you exact, detailed information about your waitlist spot but if you call and ask where you are on the list the agent will say, "I have no idea and I can't get that info"?
They can always see the waitlist, even though they may tell you they cannot. I stopped asking long ago, however, because (i) it doesn't mean anything, as someone can always buy-in in front of you, and (ii) I just got tired of being lied to ("it looks really good!").

It's a selling tactic. "Mr. Customer, I see you are buying that ticket channa mentioned from EWR to LHR. Did you know there's one upgrade seat open right now?"
In theory, perhaps. But I don't think I've ever been offered an upgrade by an agent. Usually you have to pry this information out of them.

Originally Posted by Starman
It should return instantaneously. I've done this numerous times. You keep the agent on the phone until the instrument is back in your account.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
...another couple simple IT fixes UA can do for this:

1) Give agents a command to force the upgrade sweep. This will clear the next R people. Maybe such a command exists?

2) When making an upgrade request (online or by agent), only clear if R>0 AND waitlist = 0, otherwise add to waitlist.

Again, not hard...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dmodemd

1) Give agents a command to force the upgrade sweep. This will clear the next R people. Maybe such a command exists?

2) When making an upgrade request (online or by agent), only clear if R>0 AND waitlist = 0, otherwise add to waitlist.

Again, not hard...

You're assuming reasonably modern architecture and that you have access to all systems.

For all we know, the waitlist clearing application runs after hours on a legacy box at the FreshBrew data center -- the same box that manages the coffee bean blending application by day. It's some time-share arrangement that Gordon worked out with his buddies at FreshBrew .
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
AArgh.

Last edited by Syzygies; Nov 21, 2014 at 1:08 am
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: MYOB
As a former co-worker now deceased (RIP) used to say: "Friendship ends at the gate"

The R Class roulette is a thing of beauty. You just have to know the rules, and how to play. For those that don't...see you as you walk past to take your seat in coach.

R Class ought to clear to the next person in line when it becomes available...and could be acomplished. For those of you that foolishly blame SHARES..... try looking a little deeper to those who are most interested in selling the upgrades. SHARES is doing EXACTLY what it has been programmed to. No More....no less. It's "chan-tastic"

Last edited by xzh445; Nov 20, 2014 at 8:59 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: 1K
Reading through this thread really makes me wonder... what is so darn hard about clearing upgrades when R>0 becomes available? While I understand that UA's database must be massively large and beyond my expertise, one would think that there would be a solution. In the applications that I deal with, a simple trigger "on update" would be sufficient to call something to properly handle the upgrade waitlist. Is the bulk of data so large that this isn't feasible?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by hookthem
Reading through this thread really makes me wonder... what is so darn hard about clearing upgrades when R>0 becomes available? While I understand that UA's database must be massively large and beyond my expertise, one would think that there would be a solution. In the applications that I deal with, a simple trigger "on update" would be sufficient to call something to properly handle the upgrade waitlist. Is the bulk of data so large that this isn't feasible?
As others have mentioned upthread, the IT systems involved may be so old that it's necessary for a messenger on a bike to peddle with a punched paper tape across all of Houston, when IM wants to tell the WL that there are seats available.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hookthem
Or it's old architecture with no triggers.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd

Again, not hard...
The problem with this is then the game can still be played using my now tried & true method. Simply call and ask for your GPU to be re-deposited. No questions asked. Once it's been removed from your reservation you can go online and still snag the upgrade.

So rather than calling and alerting UA that R>0 and they hit some button to upgrade lucky passenger #1 on the waitlist at that moment you should continue to play the upgrade roulette and simply take it yourself if you can have the agent de-book your request quickly enough so you can grab it online.

-RM
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by xzh445
...The R Class roulette is a thing of beauty. You just have to know the rules, and how to play. For those that don't...see you as you walk past to take your seat in coach....
Well the problem is that knowing the rules (and playing the game) requires undivided attention towards watching for R. You better have a mobile device with you on the can lest someone who knows the rules beats you or some who may or may not know the rules makes a new booking w/ R available. Look away when you're reaching for the handle may mean you're in that line trudging to coach...

The problem with this is then the game can still be played using my now tried & true method. Simply call and ask for your GPU to be re-deposited. No questions asked. Once it's been removed from your reservation you can go online and still snag the upgrade.

So rather than calling and alerting UA that R>0 and they hit some button to upgrade lucky passenger #1 on the waitlist at that moment you should continue to play the upgrade roulette and simply take it yourself if you can have the agent de-book your request quickly enough so you can grab it online.

-RM
Removal of a GPU should trigger an upgrade sweep

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 29, 2014 at 5:30 am Reason: Merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.