Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Not sure if this is what is meant, but yes, another fix is never clear immediately, just always treat as R=0 on request.
No more upgrade confirmation on booking? They implement that, I'm gone.

The "solution" is to upgrade the system such that waitlists clear dynamically, as soon as R opens. Anything else just makes the problem worse. This particular "solution" is an order of magnitude worse than the current problem.

Last edited by Kacee; Nov 29, 2014 at 12:19 am
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Baze
Should go back to the way UA's system handled it. If there was a waitlist new bookers never saw the availability of an upgrade. The system never really released it to the public, it just immediately went to #1 on the list. This is how it should be. No gaming the system, no having to keep an eagle eye on upgrade availability. It just worked the way it was supposed to. You knew when booking if space was not immediately available you were going on a waitlist. Shares just does not seem to be able to handle this simple task. But it sure is great at generating ancillary revenue which is why they keep it. I'm sure UA loves watching the dogs fight over the scraps as they are thrown into the pen because they know there is probably someone out there that doesn't want to play the gam and will spring for that buy up. UA wins with more money in their bucket. That's all they care about.
Imagine a newbie 1K thinking 6 GPUs will easily be confirmed. Only info from FT has enabled me to secure all of mine this year, but it took daily searching for weeks to nab #6...and even then it took several phone calls until I found an agent who could make it happen. Thanks FT!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I'm bouncing my last GPU from flight to flight, p.s. service between JFK and SFO, with little hope of clearing. Just noticed something odd about my upcoming Thursday flight: "Online upgrade not available." Of course it is hopeless with the queue already formed, but disabling online upgrades close-in keeps people from sniping R capacity out of order, leaves control with agents. Could be an IT glitch, or deliberate. If others start seeing this regularly, it is deliberate. UAInsider did say something was in the works.

I fully expect UA.com to offer R capacity as mileage upgrades for new tickets, rather than clearing the upgrade list. If this is a change, we simply can't clear ourselves, out of order.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
Flight shows R2 , upgrade still waitlisted

Flight LAX - IAD - BRu on feb 14 2015.
Was booked in september.
Applied GPU to the whole itiinerary.

LAX-IAD cleared immediately after booking (R > 0), IAD-BRU portion was waitlisted.
This morning, when checking the flight IAD - BRU, it had R=2.
BUT, my still showed waitlisted (upgrade requested).

Called the Brussels reservation office , and they cleared the upgrade.

Not sure when it went to R=2 , last checked it two weeks ago.

So, it is worthwhile to check your waitlisted upgrades regularly.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Syzygies
I'm bouncing my last GPU from flight to flight, p.s. service between JFK and SFO, with little hope of clearing. Just noticed something odd about my upcoming Thursday flight: "Online upgrade not available." Of course it is hopeless with the queue already formed, but disabling online upgrades close-in keeps people from sniping R capacity out of order, leaves control with agents. Could be an IT glitch, or deliberate. If others start seeing this regularly, it is deliberate. UAInsider did say something was in the works.

I fully expect UA.com to offer R capacity as mileage upgrades for new tickets, rather than clearing the upgrade list. If this is a change, we simply can't clear ourselves, out of order.
Maybe the system thinks you're inside 24 hours since you're getting close to that time.

You can't apply a waitlisted upgrade inside 24 hours.

Or there could be a remnant of the previous upgrade in there that it sees, preventing you from re-upgrading.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: CO Gold
R has just opened up for a flight in 2 weeks on which I am waitlisted (miles + $$ BF u/g).

Called to see if u/g can be applied, and agent said 'nothing we can do'

Is my tactic to keep calling till I speak to someone who can help? Or sit and hope for the best?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lhrpitlhr
R has just opened up for a flight in 2 weeks on which I am waitlisted (miles + $$ BF u/g).

Called to see if u/g can be applied, and agent said 'nothing we can do'

Is my tactic to keep calling till I speak to someone who can help? Or sit and hope for the best?
Keep HUACA

Or if the next agent stiffs you, tell them you want to cancel the UG and reapply it on the spot.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Keep HUACA

Or if the next agent stiffs you, tell them you want to cancel the UG and reapply it on the spot.
Thanks...

Agent #3 knew what to do, and forced both me and my wife (separate PNRs) through.

But seriously, this is they system? Watch R like a hawk, then spend 30 minutes of your Sunday trying to get a simple task done?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks...

Agent #3 knew what to do, and forced both me and my wife (separate PNRs) through.

But seriously, this is they system? Watch R like a hawk, then spend 30 minutes of your Sunday trying to get a simple task done?
And if you were not #1 and #2 on the waitlist you just stole other peoples upgrades. System is broken.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Keep HUACA

This strikes again, twice last week for my associate.

EWR-LHR, 90 min to departure, R=1, called but was told can't push the upgrade even though he is No.1 on waitlist.

LHR-IAD, same thing happened again.

1K on M fare, failed upgrade both ways. The agent said it's within 2 hours, she can't do anything?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thanks...

Yep - never-ending fun almost-3 years since the systems downgrade to SHARES
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks...

Not sure why you are complaining, you likely jumped the queue to score an upgrade you would not have otherwise been entitled to.

Originally Posted by kb1992
1K on M fare, failed upgrade both ways. The agent said it's within 2 hours, she can't do anything?
Now this is worth getting upset about. MOLA. They can clear it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
30 minutes isn't bad. It could be a lot worse.

I've had one take a while after a few hand-offs on the phone, then an agent double-pulling upgrades and having to deal with MPSC to clean it up.

I'll take a 30 minutes R find any day.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, AA; British Avios
Just to update everybody.
As of today 12/28/2014. Best way to clear an upgrade using RPU/GPU`s is to make the reservation on flights that have confirmed R space available. Therefore they will clear instantly at booking.
For waitlisted flights, you will have to look for R space segment by segment like an eagle, (I would do it twice per day), and once it becomes available CALL IN!!!!!! and have the agent force the upgrade. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT UPGRADE YOU AUTOMATICALLY (at least not fast enough, and that lag in time many times is enough for others to be upgraded and take away your seat trough other means (Money+Miles* or straight up purchasing a a seat in first,etc).
I was waitlisted for an RPU upgrade on a DFW-DEN flight on Jan 8. This morning as I was doing my morning R Space check on that segment I saw that it had R space available, and as expected :/.... I was still waitlisted for my RPU upgrade.
So I called it, told them I had an RPU and wanted the seat.. and the agent sounded so surprised, She was like ooh wow! I wonder why it did not clear, Good eye sir!. I was like.. man, if she only knew.
So long story short.
For waitlisted upgrades, Look for R space diligently and once you find space, Call in and get it while it last!
Wating till t-24 or so its a whole lottery in it of itself :S
The struggle is real! thats all im going to say..
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
I just had a waitlisted GPU clear on a EWR-TLV flight at beginning of Feb. Hadn't checked R space for the past few days so I don't know how long it's been showing R>0, if at all. But the upgrade cleared (J is wide open). I understand that this is not a useful data point since I have no idea how long R was open before the upgrade actually cleared, but it's proof, at least, that upgrades can sometimes clear off the waitlist....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.