Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zrs70
Could all on the list have been cleared? Or was it a temporary window - and I got lucky that I noticed it?
Could be either, but the latter is more likely. R9 to R0 swings are not unusual.

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I'm just wondering if you saw Z- or P-class come up in the nines as well?

Was P-class available throughout earlier?
You will pretty much never see R without P. I have once or twice seen R and no PN, but that's an anomaly.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by zrs70
P was and still is available.
Thanks - good to have this confirmation. ^

Originally Posted by Kacee
You will pretty much never see R without P. I have once or twice seen R and no PN, but that's an anomaly.
Thanks as well!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Not looking to cross post but just found and started a thread because in January I found a plethora of flights, (at least PHX-IAH) on various days where R>0 (sometimes R>9) and PN=0. Also saw flights with I>O, yet no PN.

Gotta love UAs systems.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Could be either, but the latter is more likely. R9 to R0 swings are not unusual.

When C is wide open, R0-->R9 often happens overnight.

You almost never see R without PN which is a subset of P.

Even PN9, it's still possible R0. That's why GS instruments are so valuable.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
When C is wide open, R0-->R9 often happens overnight.
C wide open is not in any way shape or form an indicator for R. The only halfway reliable indicator that R is going to open is seeing a flight go from P0 to P9, then PN9. If you see that progression, there's a decent chance R will open within the next few days. And about a 25% chance it goes back to R0 within the next few days after that.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
C wide open is not in any way shape or form an indicator for R. The only halfway reliable indicator that R is going to open is seeing a flight go from P0 to P9, then PN9. If you see that progression, there's a decent chance R will open within the next few days. And about a 25% chance it goes back to R0 within the next few days after that.
I'm flying SFO-LHR on Christmas Day and have applied a GPU against a W fare. While I appreciate that the seat map isn't a perfectly reliable indicator of availability, today - and for the past two weeks - 30 of 40 business class seats remain available for selection. P9 PN9 and R0. I'm hoping that there aren't a zillion others in the same boat because E- is full and E+ nearly so.

I hope you are right!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe it was just timing, but I had a waitlisted segment with a RPU that didn't clear, and while checking some flights for other trips, I decided to check the details on my waitlisted flight and found R2 all of sudden. I called in and had the upgrade processed, but not sure how long those R seats were dangling out there.

Otherwise, I've rarely run into this issue and my waitlists have been clearing automatically.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Tunapalooza
I'm flying SFO-LHR on Christmas Day and have applied a GPU against a W fare. While I appreciate that the seat map isn't a perfectly reliable indicator of availability, today - and for the past two weeks - 30 of 40 business class seats remain available for selection. P9 PN9 and R0. I'm hoping that there aren't a zillion others in the same boat because E- is full and E+ nearly so.

I hope you are right!
Booked 12/40. You're virtually certain to clear. PN9 means no GS on the waitlist.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
forced HNL-EWR 4 days ago when R1 showed up. Took some convincing to make it clear.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone seen R > 0 with F < ≈5 (or say, 20% of total seats)? Does that happen?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Booked 12/40. You're virtually certain to clear. PN9 means no GS on the waitlist.
Agreed. I've been doing a lot of SFO-LHR trips this year. Upgrades have been happening, but lately not until a couple days before or in the case of my most recent LHR-SFO flight, right at the gate.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
...and sickening they don't open any R in this situation No care for 1K instruments.

Originally Posted by fumje
Has anyone seen R > 0 with F < ≈5 (or say, 20% of total seats)? Does that happen?
Yes... best time to see is right before T-24. I often see R = F-2 on my frequent route at least.
RPU waitlists will often not get cleared and then dumped at T-24. This window here is a great time to jump the queue
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:38 am

Yes. It's not uncommon to see a high R/J ratio on TPACs within a week or two of departure. An extreme example is today's UA838, which was recently showing R9 although booked 50/52. With a wide-open GF cabin, UA was apparently willing to op-up BF pax to GF to accommodate BF upgrades.

Originally Posted by dmodemd
This window here is a great time to jump the queue
UA really doesn't open R consistently at T-24 anymore. For the most part, the days of queue jumping at T-24 ended some time ago.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
...and sickening they don't open any R in this situation No care for 1K instruments.

Yes... best time to see is right before T-24. I often see R = F-2 on my frequent route at least.
RPU waitlists will often not get cleared and then dumped at T-24. This window here is a great time to jump the queue
Yes. It's not uncommon to see a high R/J ratio on TPACs within a week or two of departure. An extreme example is today's UA838, which was recently showing R9 although booked 50/52. With a wide-open GF cabin, UA was apparently willing to op-up BF pax to GF to accommodate BF upgrades.

UA really doesn't open R consistently at T-24 anymore. For the most part, the days of queue jumping at T-24 ended some time ago.

OK, thanks, I will continue watching like a hawk, then. It's a bit tiresome to tend United's upgrade list for them.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
It's a bit tiresome to tend United's upgrade list for them.
welcome to the last 3-4 years of fun that some of us have had. longer for the pmCO elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.