Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by schnitzer
So, I got a different experience today.

I see that "R" space has opened up on my flight
phoned-in to get an agent to request it manually pushed through..

her: sorry sir, the computer has to do it.
me: well then, can you please cancel the upgrade?
her: haaaaing & humming, okay done.
her: it's not automatically re-depositing, I sent it in to get worked on manually

she didn't even try, and she probably did it to me on purpose.
because she knows what i'm trying to do.

I leave in 3 days, and I don't have time to wait for my GPU to be re-deposited.

HUACA

I phoned the mileage plus department and she redeposited it manually while I was still speaking to her. done in 10 seconds.

went online, reapplied the upgrade and got confirmed immediately.
Did the offending agent answer the phone "1K Premier desk" ?

Last edited by goalie; Aug 19, 2015 at 10:34 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by transportprof
Did the offending agent answer the phone "1K Premier desk" ?
Yes, she answered the line with "This is the 1K desk.."

Oh well.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by schnitzer
So, I got a different experience today.

I see that "R" space has opened up on my flight
phoned-in to get an agent to request it manually pushed through..

her: sorry sir, the computer has to do it.
me: well then, can you please cancel the upgrade?
her: haaaaing & humming, okay done.
her: it's not automatically re-depositing, I sent it in to get worked on manually

she didn't even try, and she probably did it to me on purpose.
because she knows what i'm trying to do.

I leave in 3 days, and I don't have time to wait for my GPU to be re-deposited.

HUACA

I phoned the mileage plus department and she redeposited it manually while I was still speaking to her. done in 10 seconds.

went online, reapplied the upgrade and got confirmed immediately.
Thats Genius! I would have never thougth of that (cancel, redeposit, and apply) only risk is you status on the UG list if R evaporated during the proceess. Just brillant! Have fun and Save Travels
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Just called in to clear a waitlisted GPU for a TATL in December when I saw the flight had gone to "P8, PN4, R3, RN3 ..."
Agent explained process about "computer sweeps during the day" as I listened patiently. She then saw I was "number 1" on the upgrade list and said she would call to have my upgrade processed.
All-in-all about seven minutes on the phone.
A little frustrating you have to keep watching the system.
The flight now shows "R2, RN2 ..."
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Yup... if only they had a command called "force upgrade sweep", things would be easier.... and of course even better if a trigger could be added so that any change to R>0 forces a sweep. But that's so 90's technology.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Yup... if only they had a command called "force upgrade sweep", things would be easier.... and of course even better if a trigger could be added so that any change to R>0 forces a sweep. But that's so 90's technology.
load "shares" ,8,1
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Midcon just went R1 for me, and RPU waitlist did not clear. Quick call got it done.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Alaska 75K Gold, AVIS Presidents Club
I'm flying EWR to HKG in two weeks and watching the R inventory like a hawk. They still have 14 BF seats open so let's see how low they go before letting me redeem my GPU
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
a data point

Just had a lovely agent who answered the phone "1K Premier Desk" clear me ORD-HKG. :-) R=1 but I was still on the waitlist.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Is the open R failed sweep issue still going on for folks waitlisted on upgrades? If yes, is it as common as it was about a year ago when pretty much all flights with open R had uncleared waitlists?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anandrg
Is the open R failed sweep issue still going on for folks waitlisted on upgrades?
Last post in this thread is a month old.

If yes, is it as common as it was about a year ago when pretty much all flights with open R had uncleared waitlists?
That is a serious overstatement. It was never like that. I personally have never not cleared automatically when R was available.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Last post in this thread is a month old.
That is a serious overstatement. It was never like that. I personally have never not cleared automatically when R was available.
Sorry did not mean to be dramatic.

I have a waitlisted RPU for a PS flight and I just wanted to know if the system is still broken. From your response, I gather that the system is largely fixed but not entirely. Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

But don't we have the right to expect that, if United owns a computer, when R>0, the upgrade list should clear not just automatically, but also rapidly? Although it may be the case that most people in the R queue do clear eventually, or even soon after R>0, if there is any significant delay at all, this still gives others who notice R availability the ability to jump the queue, which surely has been happening frequently, simply by counting reports in this thread. So it's perhaps not enough to demand that the R queue clear automatically, but rather that it clear automatically and immediately, to agree with the advertised benefit.

Last edited by goalie; Nov 14, 2015 at 1:58 pm Reason: corrected the name of the airline
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
From your response, I gather that the system is largely fixed but not entirely. Thanks
Yes, that's an accurate statement. It's still a good idea to check.

Originally Posted by Starman
So it's perhaps not enough to demand that the R queue clear automatically, but rather that it clear automatically and immediately, to agree with the advertised benefit.
Demanding probably won't accomplish much. And I don't think UA anywhere guarantees that waitlists will clear promptly.

The instrument upgrade waitlist seems to work most of the time now. I've cleared my last two waitlisted GPUs in the very early morning hours without ever seeing R open - before or after.

There are still reports of open R with waitlisted instrument, though not nearly so many as there used to be. So it does bear watching, particularly if you're the obsessive type (I am).
Old Nov 14, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
It still happens to me from time to time, and it's made more annoying by the fact that UA doesn't allow EF access to R inventory. When I see it, I just ask that the agent either clear or cancel my request. They generally get what I'm up to and just clear it.

Originally Posted by Starman
But don't we have the right to expect that, if United owns a computer, when R>0, the upgrade list should clear not just automatically, but also rapidly? Although it may be the case that most people in the R queue do clear eventually, or even soon after R>0, if there is any significant delay at all, this still gives others who notice R availability the ability to jump the queue, which surely has been happening frequently, simply by counting reports in this thread. So it's perhaps not enough to demand that the R queue clear automatically, but rather that it clear automatically and immediately, to agree with the advertised benefit.
Currently UA's upgrade system runs on intervals (say, every 15 minutes) while their inventory system (and every travel inventory system, since that's the nature of the beast) is real-time. So when any of the myraid systems that UA uses to manipulate inventory changes the R value for a flight from 0 to > 0, it will take between 0 and 15 (in this example) minutes before a sweep runs. For that up to 15 minutes, it's open season on that upgrade space.

The fix for this is, of course, to trigger the upgrade sweep whenever an R value changes, but good luck with that. It will not happen before the inventory system is swapped out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.