Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
There is!

In my experience, the solution was to stop playing this game.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein
^^^
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PebbleBeach
I think I waste almost as much time checking for open R status than the actual BIS time of these flights I want to upgrade. Last night jumped on to find R2 RN2 for a SYD-SFO flight where I had a GPU. Excited, called United but literally lost the seats in real time. Curious if I lost out to another FTer (which I tip my cap) or was there a lag time in auto processing. Either way, there has got to be a better solution for this.
SYD-SFO is too long flight to lose upgrade.

I would check R space once every 3 hours when awake.

Just in case R>0 but upgrade doesn't clear.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Glad I am not the only one

Originally Posted by kb1992
SYD-SFO is too long flight to lose upgrade.

I would check R space once every 3 hours when awake.

Just in case R>0 but upgrade doesn't clear.
The LAX flight on the same day has had R>3 for multiple days. Would have been worth the extra connection for the peace of mind.

*Just checked, went to R>7!

Last edited by PebbleBeach; Jan 3, 2015 at 6:28 pm Reason: New facts
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Interesting observation. I was checking on my long waitlisted domestic RPU and saw R=7. I called in and explained the issue. Agent snapped back "I can't clear upgrades", then I requested to just drop the upgrade and I would re-apply , then she said she would take a look. She put me on hold and while she was gone I checked and the R and F buckets went down by 5. I checked and my upgrade had cleared.

It appears she may have been able to force a sweep which processed not only me but others. That would be a good sign if they have the ability to force the sweep and allow the waitlist to process in order, fairly. I don't know if she did it or asked a supervisor.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Interesting observation. I was checking on my long waitlisted domestic RPU and saw R=7. I called in and explained the issue. Agent snapped back "I can't clear upgrades", then I requested to just drop the upgrade and I would re-apply , then she said she would take a look. She put me on hold and while she was gone I checked and the R and F buckets went down by 5. I checked and my upgrade had cleared.

It appears she may have been able to force a sweep which processed not only me but others. That would be a good sign if they have the ability to force the sweep and allow the waitlist to process in order, fairly. I don't know if she did it or asked a supervisor.
Interesting. This morning I noticed that my upcoming flight was R>3, so I called to have my waitlisted RPU applied. Agent cleared me immediately and couldn't have been nicer.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
It's been a long time since I tried to upgrade via CPU. Now a few hours within 96-hour mark and R=2 yet no upgrade. Called UA and agent confirmed upgrade space was available. She didn't clear me and said the system should run again at the 72-hour mark.

Does the UA system run upgrades at the 96-hour mark? Or is it +/- 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, or...?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
It's been a long time since I tried to upgrade via CPU. Now a few hours within 96-hour mark and R=2 yet no upgrade. Called UA and agent confirmed upgrade space was available. She didn't clear me and said the system should run again at the 72-hour mark.

Does the UA system run upgrades at the 96-hour mark? Or is it +/- 1 hour, 2 hours, 6 hours, or...?
This thread isn't about CPU. There's no guarantee you'll get a CPU even with positive R space. However, if you want to apply an instrument RPU/GPU, you'd be cleared immediately.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
This thread isn't about CPU. There's no guarantee you'll get a CPU even with positive R space. However, if you want to apply an instrument RPU/GPU, you'd be cleared immediately.
Ummm, why not? I'm presumably waitlisted even though R class is available. Do you know of a more relevant thread? The agent offered to confirm the flight with an RPU, but I shouldn't have to if space is available and I'm within the CPU window.

Perhaps I'm mistaken - is R inventory not the correct bucket for CPUs?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Ummm, why not? I'm presumably waitlisted even though R class is available. Do you know of a more relevant thread? The agent offered to confirm the flight with an RPU, but I shouldn't have to if space is available and I'm within the CPU window.
It's been widely discussed and mostly agreed upon that CPU's come from a subset of R, but just because R is avail, it doesn't mean CPU's will be processed from it.

There are a multitude of threads on this due to the fact that many claim (and I tend to believe it) that TOD's are a priority for this airline to sell, GPU/RPU's always trump CPU, etc. etc.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Just "jumped the line" for the first time this past week for JFK-SFO. SDC'd from my original flight to one 2hrs later with R3, didn't show up on the waitlist, SDC'd back (to preserve non-middle seat just in case), called in and explained to very friendly agent who took care of everything - clearing the upgrade on the later flight.

Felt a little dirty jumping the line, but being able to stretch out after enjoying my ice cream sundae made it somehow tolerable
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Felt a little dirty jumping the line, but being able to stretch out after enjoying my ice cream sundae made it somehow tolerable
Until they actually care to fix it, no one should feel dirty about this situation at all. They created it and for years now have chosen to not correct it. Enjoy your sundae sans guilt!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
It's been widely discussed and mostly agreed upon that CPU's come from a subset of R, but just because R is avail, it doesn't mean CPU's will be processed from it.
Thanks -- that rings a bell. Guess this is one more data point where R>0 but CPUs don't clear.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Just "jumped the line" for the first time this past week for JFK-SFO. SDC'd from my original flight to one 2hrs later with R3, didn't show up on the waitlist, SDC'd back (to preserve non-middle seat just in case), called in and explained to very friendly agent who took care of everything - clearing the upgrade on the later flight.

I'm glad you got the upgrade. How do you know you "jumped the line"? Do you know someone on the flight who was still in the queue when you got the upgrade?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I'm glad you got the upgrade. How do you know you "jumped the line"? Do you know someone on the flight who was still in the queue when you got the upgrade?
Yup - there were ~8-10 people on the waitlist for the flight I changed to
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: 1k
LAX-SFO-Hong Kong leaving tomorrow morning using GPU's.
The SFO to HK round trip have both been upgraded.
I called yesterday about the LAX -SFO and was told it is sold out and no upgrade.

Then I get an email when I was checking this morning saying I can upgrade to First for $89.
I called again and was told it is sold out. ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.