Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion

I am waitlisted for an upgrade on an international flight using a GPU and expertflyer shows R class availability.
I thought R class availability happens only once the waitlist is empty. Why don't I get upgraded?

I can get a confirmed upgrade if I buy the upgrade using miles and cash on a cheap fare, but not using a GPU on my B fare.

Is this a mistake or some new rule I am not aware of?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite

Originally Posted by DUflyer
I am waitlisted for an upgrade on an international flight using a GPU and expertflyer shows R class availability.
I thought R class availability happens only once the waitlist is empty. Why don't I get upgraded?

I can get a confirmed upgrade if I buy the upgrade using miles and cash on a cheap fare, but not using a GPU on my B fare.

Is this a mistake or some new rule I am not aware of?
You can either:

1) Wait a bit to see if an upgrade "sweep" happens to clear the upgrade. This will in all likelihood screw up your ticket and require you to waste 25 minutes with a call to reservations.

2) Waste 25 minutes now, and call to get the upgrade cleared.

I say "waste", not because it's a waste of times in the situation (an upgrade is worth 25 minutes), but it's definitely a waste when compared to a competent airline with IT that actually works.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by murphyUA
You can either:

1) Wait a bit to see if an upgrade "sweep" happens to clear the upgrade. This will in all likelihood screw up your ticket and require you to waste 25 minutes with a call to reservations.

2) Waste 25 minutes now, and call to get the upgrade cleared.

I say "waste", not because it's a waste of times in the situation (an upgrade is worth 25 minutes), but it's definitely a waste when compared to a competent airline with IT that actually works.
Well, the R bucket opened up a few times already in the past two weeks and I called twice already to get the upgrade cleared. Both times they said they cannot do anything. Aparently there are quite a few people ahead of me on the waitlist. Must be all GS or 1K in Y class (if such a thing exists). I'm sure they won't be happy either if someone without status can get their upgrade on a cheap ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Well, the R bucket opened up a few times already in the past two weeks and I called twice already to get the upgrade cleared. Both times they said they cannot do anything. Aparently there are quite a few people ahead of me on the waitlist. Must be all GS or 1K in Y class (if such a thing exists). I'm sure they won't be happy either if someone without status can get their upgrade on a cheap ticket.
If they won't do it...tell them to cancel the upgrade request and redeposit the GPU. Then re-applying it with R available should clear it right away.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:34 am
Original Poster

If they won't do it...tell them to cancel the upgrade request and redeposit the GPU. Then re-applying it with R available should clear it right away.
That worked, thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
That worked, thanks!
I'm glad your upgrade cleared. ^

This is a ridiculous way for an airline to do business.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Beerman92
I'm glad your upgrade cleared. ^

But GREAT business for EFlyer. This merger was a like winning the lottery for that company.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime

You hit the nail right on the head.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by Beerman92
+1. I completely agree. Why should the OP have to cancel the requested upgrade and reapply it? Shouldn't it just happen? It's all very strange.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
But GREAT business for EFlyer. This merger was a like winning the lottery for that company.
I've always said I wouldn't be surprised if it came out members of the exec team where minority investors in EF
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Upgrade still waitlisted even though R class is available

Did R availability show on the united website or just EF? Did you reapply on the same phone call or call back?
thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dahaberm
Did R availability show on the united website or just EF? Did you reapply on the same phone call or call back?
thanks!
IME, R shows in both places. I have not yet had to resort to having them cancel the upgrade--I've never had the agent insist there are lots of people ahead of me--but I would have them cancel & reapply on the same call if it came to that.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
I had an interesting thing happen recently ... and I think this information confirms what I think happens. EF notified me of R availability on a flight I was wait-listed. I looked and EF showed R3. I called in and the CSR told me that something was wrong with the way they put my upgrade in and my upgrade was blocked from confirming (I thought that was interesting language). She put me on hold and came back and confirmed my upgrade. I went back to EF out of curiosity and saw R0. I wondered to myself that if my upgrade was the next on the list but was blocking the queue ... when she cleared mine, did it automatically clear the others? It just seemed odd that EF went from R3 to R0 after mine got confirmed.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Originally Posted by timbre
It just seemed odd that EF went from R3 to R0 after mine got confirmed.

Not so strange. Two other FT's or EF's doing the same thing. If UA would put in half the effort to fix this than we do to work around, it would have been solved a long time ago.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
You took the words right out of my mouth^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.