FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1975995-upgrade-still-waitlisted-even-though-r-now-pz-class-available-archive.html)

DUflyer Aug 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

I am waitlisted for an upgrade on an international flight using a GPU and expertflyer shows R class availability.
I thought R class availability happens only once the waitlist is empty. Why don't I get upgraded?

I can get a confirmed upgrade if I buy the upgrade using miles and cash on a cheap fare, but not using a GPU on my B fare.

Is this a mistake or some new rule I am not aware of?

murphyUA Aug 12, 2012 12:00 am

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Originally Posted by DUflyer (Post 19104233)
I am waitlisted for an upgrade on an international flight using a GPU and expertflyer shows R class availability.
I thought R class availability happens only once the waitlist is empty. Why don't I get upgraded?

I can get a confirmed upgrade if I buy the upgrade using miles and cash on a cheap fare, but not using a GPU on my B fare.

Is this a mistake or some new rule I am not aware of?

You can either:

1) Wait a bit to see if an upgrade "sweep" happens to clear the upgrade. This will in all likelihood screw up your ticket and require you to waste 25 minutes with a call to reservations.

2) Waste 25 minutes now, and call to get the upgrade cleared.

I say "waste", not because it's a waste of times in the situation (an upgrade is worth 25 minutes), but it's definitely a waste when compared to a competent airline with IT that actually works.

DUflyer Aug 12, 2012 12:05 am

Originally Posted by murphyUA (Post 19104254)
You can either:

1) Wait a bit to see if an upgrade "sweep" happens to clear the upgrade. This will in all likelihood screw up your ticket and require you to waste 25 minutes with a call to reservations.

2) Waste 25 minutes now, and call to get the upgrade cleared.

I say "waste", not because it's a waste of times in the situation (an upgrade is worth 25 minutes), but it's definitely a waste when compared to a competent airline with IT that actually works.

Well, the R bucket opened up a few times already in the past two weeks and I called twice already to get the upgrade cleared. Both times they said they cannot do anything. Aparently there are quite a few people ahead of me on the waitlist. Must be all GS or 1K in Y class (if such a thing exists). I'm sure they won't be happy either if someone without status can get their upgrade on a cheap ticket.

murphyUA Aug 12, 2012 12:08 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer (Post 19104262)
Well, the R bucket opened up a few times already in the past two weeks and I called twice already to get the upgrade cleared. Both times they said they cannot do anything. Aparently there are quite a few people ahead of me on the waitlist. Must be all GS or 1K in Y class (if such a thing exists). I'm sure they won't be happy either if someone without status can get their upgrade on a cheap ticket.

If they won't do it...tell them to cancel the upgrade request and redeposit the GPU. Then re-applying it with R available should clear it right away.

DUflyer Aug 12, 2012 1:34 am

Originally Posted by murphyUA (Post 19104268)
If they won't do it...tell them to cancel the upgrade request and redeposit the GPU. Then re-applying it with R available should clear it right away.

That worked, thanks!

Beerman92 Aug 12, 2012 1:39 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer (Post 19104421)
That worked, thanks!

I'm glad your upgrade cleared. ^

This is a ridiculous way for an airline to do business. :td:

chinatraderjmr Aug 12, 2012 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92 (Post 19104430)
I'm glad your upgrade cleared. ^

But GREAT business for EFlyer. This merger was a like winning the lottery for that company.

shortkidd Aug 12, 2012 2:45 am

Originally Posted by murphyUA (Post 19104254)

You hit the nail right on the head.

love_to_travel Aug 12, 2012 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92 (Post 19104430)

+1. I completely agree. Why should the OP have to cancel the requested upgrade and reapply it? Shouldn't it just happen? It's all very strange.

UA-NYC Aug 12, 2012 7:05 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 19104484)
But GREAT business for EFlyer. This merger was a like winning the lottery for that company.

I've always said I wouldn't be surprised if it came out members of the exec team where minority investors in EF ;)

Crazyboutflying Aug 12, 2012 7:22 am

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R class is available

Did R availability show on the united website or just EF? Did you reapply on the same phone call or call back?
thanks!

exerda Aug 12, 2012 7:48 am

Originally Posted by dahaberm (Post 19105196)
Did R availability show on the united website or just EF? Did you reapply on the same phone call or call back?
thanks!

IME, R shows in both places. I have not yet had to resort to having them cancel the upgrade--I've never had the agent insist there are lots of people ahead of me--but I would have them cancel & reapply on the same call if it came to that.

timbre Aug 12, 2012 8:13 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer (Post 19104262)

I had an interesting thing happen recently ... and I think this information confirms what I think happens. EF notified me of R availability on a flight I was wait-listed. I looked and EF showed R3. I called in and the CSR told me that something was wrong with the way they put my upgrade in and my upgrade was blocked from confirming (I thought that was interesting language). She put me on hold and came back and confirmed my upgrade. I went back to EF out of curiosity and saw R0. I wondered to myself that if my upgrade was the next on the list but was blocking the queue ... when she cleared mine, did it automatically clear the others? It just seemed odd that EF went from R3 to R0 after mine got confirmed.

Platcomike Aug 12, 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by timbre (Post 19105393)
It just seemed odd that EF went from R3 to R0 after mine got confirmed.

Not so strange. Two other FT's or EF's doing the same thing. If UA would put in half the effort to fix this than we do to work around, it would have been solved a long time ago.

SGJazz Aug 12, 2012 9:23 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 19104484)

You took the words right out of my mouth^