Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by swm61230
it has been almost three years and they don't care!
It's been almost 3 years under the United name. This issue has been going on for well over a decade when you include the issue at CO. It is CO's systems after all, and with that came CO's technology problems. Lots of them.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by channa
It's been almost 3 years under the United name. This issue has been going on for well over a decade when you include the issue at CO. It is CO's systems after all, and with that came CO's technology problems. Lots of them.
So, at what point does not caring and unfulfilled commitments to "fix" something become a deliberate choice by UA to keep things the way they are?

If there had been a benefit to UA, they would have made the change already.

Greg
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg99
So, at what point does not caring and unfulfilled commitments to "fix" something become a deliberate choice by UA to keep things the way they are?
It's been that way for a while.

They know it's a problem, and they can't or won't fix it. I personally think they can't or don't know how, and since this is not a revenue generator (in fact, it may be a revenue loser to get it working correctly), it's low priority to even look at.

Yup.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
It's been that way for a while.

They know it's a problem, and they can't or won't fix it. I personally think they can't or don't know how, and since this is not a revenue generator (in fact, it may be a revenue loser to get it working correctly), it's low priority to even look at.
But they are loosing my revenue because they can't get it working correctly. So it may not be a revenue generator it really would be a revenue retainer if they could actually get their computer system working properly.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But they are loosing my revenue because they can't get it working correctly. So it may not be a revenue generator it really would be a revenue retainer if they could actually get their computer system working properly.
CO management is short-sighted and doesn't measure that, so it doesn't count.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I personally think they can't or don't know how, and since this is not a revenue generator (in fact, it may be a revenue loser to get it working correctly),
While the post below considers the current situation a revenue loser for COdbaUA, I am curious about your thoughts, of this being the opposite - if you could elaborate.

Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:18 pm

I don't think anyone from CO or UA ever said they committed to fix anything.

I do think there have been a lot of assumptions made that it would get fixed.

This may or may not be on a list of things to be fixed. The truth is that it's either not on a list, or if it's on a list, it's been given a lower priority than everything else they've worked on in the 3 years.

Nobody can look at this state of affairs and reasonably conclude that they care about fixing this.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
While the post below considers the current situation a revenue loser for COdbaUA, I am curious about your thoughts, of this being the opposite - if you could elaborate.
Upsells are sometimes triggered off the same R inventory. By allocating R to waitlisted upgrades as soon as it's released, they may be depriving themselves of upsell revenue for those who may have purchased an upgrade (granted, at the expense of waitlisters).

Recall this management team's big success story has been ancillary revenue. This is an area where United excels. In most other areas, United lags the competition. So if they can sell that upgrade for $200, but lose an $20,000 annual customer in the process, they probably see that as a win, as they can attribute the $200 gain to their policies and processes, but they $20,000 loss will get clouded with all sorts of other stuff and be dismissed as normal customer turnover.

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
This may or may not be on a list of things to be fixed. The truth is that it's either not on a list, or if it's on a list, it's been given a lower priority than everything else they've worked on in the 3 years.
Or they've attempted to fix it but run into so many constraints due to their poor technology choices, that they've marked it off as unfixable.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Or they've attempted to fix it but run into so many constraints due to their poor technology choices, that they've marked it off as unfixable.
Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I just don't believe that this can possibly be something that is that complicated to fix. They just don't wanna, because it would be bad for their business to change it to the way we think is proper.

I simply believe (for reasons such as those you enunciate) that they have come to the conclusion that this isn't actually a problem at all, but in fact a benefit to those that management views as their true customers, the stockholders.

Greg
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I just don't believe that this can possibly be something that is that complicated to fix. They just don't wanna, because it would be bad for their business to change it to the way we think is proper.
If they're constrained by SHARES architecture (which I understand fundamentally does not have any sort of trigger mechanism), it's possible that they cannot fix this in their current system, rather they can rework other processes and improve it (and perhaps they have already done so).

Remember they're running their business on the technology equivalent of an abacus. There's only so much they can do.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recall this management team's big success story has been ancillary revenue. This is an area where United excels. In most other areas, United lags the competition. So if they can sell that upgrade for $200, but lose an $20,000 annual customer in the process, they probably see that as a win, as they can attribute the $200 gain to their policies and processes, but they $20,000 loss will get clouded with all sorts of other stuff and be dismissed as normal customer turnover.
I think you hit the nail squarely on the head with this statement.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Upsells are sometimes triggered off the same R inventory.
That's sheer speculation about UA's internal processes. It's not consistent with what I've seen nor with many reports in this forum ("I was waitlisted, R never opened, there was a buy-up offer, and all the BF seats disappeared.")

My personal belief is that there is some fundamental systems issue that prevents dynamic waitlist processing, and it's just not high enough priority for UA to devote the resources to fix it.

I will add that I view it as a net positive for those of us who know how the systems work. We get more upgrades because R opens when it should not.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think I waste almost as much time checking for open R status than the actual BIS time of these flights I want to upgrade. Last night jumped on to find R2 RN2 for a SYD-SFO flight where I had a GPU. Excited, called United but literally lost the seats in real time. Curious if I lost out to another FTer (which I tip my cap) or was there a lag time in auto processing. Either way, there has got to be a better solution for this.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by PebbleBeach
I think I waste almost as much time checking for open R status than the actual BIS time of these flights I want to upgrade. Last night jumped on to find R2 RN2 for a SYD-SFO flight where I had a GPU. Excited, called United but literally lost the seats in real time. Curious if I lost out to another FTer (which I tip my cap) or was there a lag time in auto processing. Either way, there has got to be a better solution for this.
There is!

In my experience, the solution was to stop playing this game.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I don't know if PN being available but the upgrade still shows as waitlisted falls into this category but here's what happened a few moments ago...

goalie-parents are flying FLL-IAH-SFO in April and were sponsored by a GS friend where the IAH-SFO segment cleared (PN) but the FLL-IAH segment waitlisted (PN).

I did a dummy booking and expert mode showed PN2 for the FLL-IAH segment so I called but the agent said she saw PN0 . The agent then said, "hang on a moment and let me check FLL-IAH-SFO as I was only checking FLL-IAH" and lo and behold, she came back with "I saw PN2 FLL-IAH so I just cleared your parents"

Could this be a married segment in reverse? And based on what I just experienced, I would advise when seeing R (or PN) >0 on your segment to have the agent check the full routing vs just the segment in question if you are on a multi-segment itinerary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.