Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Doubtful. It's more likely that the flight went to R1, then you immediately (before EF took a look) got the upgrade and it returned to R0. Unless you were random enough to look in that tin span of time, you would just never see the R1.
This.

I watched my IAD-DUB-EWR (part of a longer journey) like a hawk, sometimes 4 times a day, yet NEVER saw anything but R0.

Yet, flew in Biz both ways, alas due to MX a day later on outbound via EWR, but that's a tale of UA mechanicals

But both legs were upgraded weeks ahead of flight even though I never saw any R space available. And I check it via ual.com, so theoretically in real time.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:08 pm

Yet, searching by upgrades finding the same BOS-UA749-IAH-UA1249-SJC was not showing the second segment as upgradable.

But, I called in, and the upgrade was processed manually. Very weird! Thanks for the quick replies everyone; I thought it should be segment by segment and journey availability was not used for upgrades.

Does anyone know why the search by upgrades option didn't show UA1249 as upgradeable? Was it because there was already a waitlist on that flight (if so, that's an awesome change to their system...)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Gavin Peters
Does anyone know why the search by upgrades option didn't show UA1249 as upgradeable?
When you search an itinerary with multiple segments, the system treats all segments as if they have the minimum R from all segments. So even an R9 segment will show R0 if combined with another segment that is R0. If you want an accurate picture of R inventory, you must search segment-by-segment.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:17 pm

When you search an itinerary with multiple segments, the system treats all segments as if they have the minimum R from all segments. So even an R9 segment will show R0 if combined with another segment that is R0. If you want an accurate picture of R inventory, you must search segment-by-segment.
Searching by upgrades frequently shows only one segment as upgradeable. How does that happen, then?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Gavin Peters
Searching by upgrades frequently shows only one segment as upgradeable. How does that happen, then?
I don't know. I don't use that feature because it's unreliable and provides less information than expert mode.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:46 pm

I don't know. I don't use that feature because it's unreliable and provides less information than expert mode.
Can you elaborate on how it's unreliable? I certainly did segment by segment searches, and also a journey search using the upgrades feature; I would love to know more about how the journey search with the upgrades feature misses individual segments if you know more about that.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That's how it used to work, but they fixed it some time ago. It now correctly shows R availability for each leg. eg :

Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by docbert
That's how it used to work, but they fixed it some time ago. It now correctly shows R availability for each leg. eg :

Wish this were true, but the married segment issue is still very much alive, and accurate searching for R inventory still requires searching segment by segment.

On the example you posted, the segments are separately fared (a K and a G), which eliminates the married segment issue.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow

This is only the case if search results in different booking classes i.e. K and G in your example.

If the search yields same booking class i.e. T for both segments, then minimum amount of R for both segments is shown.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
... And here's something a lot of people don't think about - NOT having R>0 has it's advantages. If R>0 too far in advance, then it allows people using miles/copay to get the upgrades. It upgrades are released closer to the day of flight, then higher status flyers have a better chance of getting the upgrades with GPU/RPU (or even CPUs) as they will be higher up the list based on status.

If you're a low status flyer that books months in advance, that's a bad thing. If you're a high-status flyer that books a week or two out, that's a good thing. My (waitlist-cleared) upgrades to SYD this week and back next week which were only booked a week or two ago attest to that!
This is a very good point, indeed something that I never thought about before.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Just ran in to this with my SO's reservation. Used a GPU LHR>>IAH>>DEN a couple weeks ago when the IAH>>DEN leg was R0 (LHR>>IAH leg was R2, so it cleared immediately).

IAH>>DEN is now R3. Called, and the agent contacted her supervisor, who refused to clear the leg saying that "the system would take care of it". Aargh.

Now if the responses from the agents were consistent it would be one thing, but the fact that so many on this thread report that they were cleared upon calling is what galls me. If only LHR>>IAH wasn't R0 the "pull and reapply the GPU" trick would work.

Add me to the list of those who have been bitten by the debacle that is the UA IT infrastructure (or programming ineptitude). Note that I'm assuming it's a limitation or ineptitude; if this is intentional it's a huge slap in the face, as others have noted.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Just ran in to this with my SO's reservation. Used a GPU LHR>>IAH>>DEN a couple weeks ago when the IAH>>DEN leg was R0 (LHR>>IAH leg was R2, so it cleared immediately).

IAH>>DEN is now R3. Called, and the agent contacted her supervisor, who refused to clear the leg saying that "the system would take care of it". Aargh.

Now if the responses from the agents were consistent it would be one thing, but the fact that so many on this thread report that they were cleared upon calling is what galls me. If only LHR>>IAH wasn't R0 the "pull and reapply the GPU" trick would work.

Add me to the list of those who have been bitten by the debacle that is the UA IT infrastructure (or programming ineptitude). Note that I'm assuming it's a limitation or ineptitude; if this is intentional it's a huge slap in the face, as others have noted.
HUACA of course - I bet it won't take too long for you to get a more customer-focused agent
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
HUACA of course - I bet it won't take too long for you to get a more customer-focused agent
Well maybe, but what worries me is that two agents both expressed surprise that they couldn't apply the upgrade after agreeing with me that it was warranted (the first agent had transferred me to International, who also tried before contacting a supervisor). The front-line agents were in fact on my side.

Probably should have included that info in the OP, eh? Hope this isn't some new programming limitation that has been put in place such that the agents can't process these types of upgrades anymore, although if it is I suppose that would take care of the inconsistency issue.

I wonder what an agent would say if I tried to apply an RPU to that last segment, since a GPU is already active on it...

UPDATE: The upgrade went through. I don't know if an agent/supervisor pushed it through after I whined about the system being broken (hey, this was for my SO, not for me, remember) or if the system did in fact process the upgrade in a relatively timely manner (although I'm actually not sure when R became >0). It would be interesting to see if perhaps there are fewer instances of unrequited RPUs/GPUs going forward, which would suggest that they have finally at least tried to fix the process. Even if they have, however, the lag time is not good because others could snatch the R space in the interim.

Last edited by Bonehead; Oct 30, 2014 at 9:30 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bonehead
UPDATE: The upgrade went through.
They ran a sweep and you cleared.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They ran a sweep and you cleared.

You could have asked the phone agents to pull the GPU and reapply it to the entire itinerary.
I noted in my OP that the LHR>>IAH leg was R0, so that wasn't an option. As I'm sure you're aware, there would be no guarantee that the R inventory would be returned if the GPU was pulled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.