Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by swm61230
Wow. Two years later and still not fixed!
Been much less common for me but recently had a case where after at least 12 hours of not clearing I did call it it. {short connection to an already cleared longer segment, so was curious if it would self clear}
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by swm61230
Wow. Two years later and still not fixed!
Wow? This problem has been in CO's systems for as long as I can remember -- well over 10 years.

I am not surprised it's not fixed only 2 years after CO systems became UA's.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
It's quite ridiculous. From what I understand of the problem (one time Shannon [prior UAInsider] alluded to the IT complication of the IM and reservation systems not integrated well), it is possible to patch it:

Set the sweep cycle on the reservation system (and DM system) to match as close as possible the IM cycle with the former lagging a slight bit. If the IM process is not scheduled and more event driven, can increase the sweeps to be more frequent. The sweep checks should not be process intensive (R>0 and upgrade list >0), so should be able to check every flight say every 5 minutes. Then it can call the upgrade processing routine to clear out the R openings.

I really don't see why this is a difficult IT issue.

The cost savings benefits in reducing CS calls alone would be far greater than the cost to implement.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I really don't see why this is a difficult IT issue.
It's not. That's not why it still exists as a "problem." UA clearly prefers it this way, i.e., they make more money as currently configured.

The cost savings benefits in reducing CS calls alone would be far greater than the cost to implement.
That's not the relevant analysis.

The cost savings benefits do not exceed the loss of revenues related to incremental additional TOD/other buyups that are facilitated by the current "system." The IT costs are miniscule.

Greg
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I guess this is the right thread to ask. Is there any collective wisdom as to how often the upgrade process runs? I have a flight in just under 48 hours, R=3 and the agent has told me I'm #2 on the waitlist, but she wouldn't push it through.

I'm happy to let the normal process take its course, just not sure when I should start getting pushier about clearing the upgrade. Either that or remove my request (a short leg has already cleared) and re-apply it.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I guess this is the right thread to ask. Is there any collective wisdom as to how often the upgrade process runs? I have a flight in just under 48 hours, R=3 and the agent has told me I'm #2 on the waitlist, but she wouldn't push it through.

I'm happy to let the normal process take its course, just not sure when I should start getting pushier about clearing the upgrade. Either that or remove my request (a short leg has already cleared) and re-apply it.
Push it through.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

HUACA
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by channa
Push it through.
+1 - Do it NOW.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - Do it NOW.
Should I ask to push it through? Or should I ask to redeposit and then reapply?

Edit: Just called again. Got a friendly agent. She tells me I'm at the top of the list but won't push it through. In the meantime R decreased by 1. Not sure what the better strategy is here. Or how many times to HUACA.

Last edited by astroflyer; Nov 10, 2014 at 10:39 am
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Edit: Just called again. Got a friendly agent. She tells me I'm at the top of the list but won't push it through. In the meantime R decreased by 1. Not sure what the better strategy is here. Or how many times to HUACA.
Until it clears.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

you HUACA until you get an agent who knows what they are doing.

another strategy is to ask them to withdraw the upgrade request, then ask them to reapply it after it is withdrawn. or just go online and reapply it yourself since you are > T-24.

this may result in some cleanup of # of instruments with MP service center after the fact but at least you will be upgraded

the longer you wait, the more likely it becomes that you will be fully bypassed. i guess it also depends how much you care about being upgraded. but if you can't get them to clear the long leg and you have already cleared the short one via RPU, it becomes more beneficial to just have them redeposit the up then reapply it so you dont waste it on the short segment.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by greg99
It's not. That's not why it still exists as a "problem." UA clearly prefers it this way, i.e., they make more money as currently configured.
I don't think they are intentionally not fixing it, just that they have listed it as an extremely low priority, along with most other customer concerns.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you HUACA until you get an agent who knows what they are doing.

another strategy is to ask them to withdraw the upgrade request, then ask them to reapply it after it is withdrawn. or just go online and reapply it yourself since you are > T-24.
Yes... I hope you did this. If an agent on the phone refuses to push it through then ask them to cancel and re-apply the upgrade, it will clear and they know it. (However, not possible -by agent- if it is sponsored )

Last edited by dmodemd; Nov 10, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Until it clears.
Thanks all for the encouragement. Phone call #5 got me a friendly Denver agent who pushed it through. What a frustrating way to do things.

It was EWR-HNL so I did care quite a lot, especially as I had them push my companion through from X into IN earlier today
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I don't think they are intentionally not fixing it, just that they have listed it as an extremely low priority, along with most other customer concerns.
I'm curious why you think that.

Many, many posts here have illustrated how a failure to "fix" it results in revenues for UA.

You're a 1KMM. What of the last several years of history with UA management practices gives you the belief that this isn't a case of UA maximizing revenues?

This would make an interesting FT philosophy exam question: "Does Occam's Razor better support the premise that: (a) UA is deliberately not changing their upgrade algorithms, or (b) UA has deprioritized fixing an error in its upgrade algorithms?"

Greg
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by channa
You've had a pretty good run, though.

As for me, it's just more of the same. In the past week, I've dealt with/am dealing with:

- 2 award tickets that did not redeposit online (crapped out at the end)
- 1 UA award reservation on CA that is showing fine in SHARES, but CA says UA canceled and refuses to give me seats for
- 1 new revenue ticket that gave me a Ticket Issuance Delay (100% UA metal), which voided the cert that was used and had to be reinstated and manually issued
- 1 2-cabin to 3-cabin aircraft swap that sold F upgrades at checkin, despite F being oversold and resulted in downgrades to J.

All in all, about 3 hours on the phone with UA in the past week, and the CA issue is still pending.

So given that, I'd say all these years, and you've only had this one CO IT issue, you're well ahead of the game.
Why do you continue to put yourself through this torture, Channa?

By way of example, I recently flew on AC. I tried to buy the ticket on UA, so it got 016 stock and therefore PQM/D, but, SHARES wouldn't let me purchase 1 segment that was easily available on AC web site, and the price through SHARES was higher than AC, so I just gave up and bought the ticket on AC's web site. I did give AC my UA FF number, so I got the *A status which meant nothing anyhow, then UA gave me 0 PQD, 0 PQM, and 1724 RDM for a 5,000 mile journey. It was so pathetic, I can't bother to be upset. I just laughed.

The upside is that I paid the lowest available price for the seat, and I had ZERO problems with IT in terms of booking the ticket or flying. My phone time for this itinerary, also, was ZERO.

Life as a kettle is much better than life suffering under SHARES + CO policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.