Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by greg99
I'm curious why you think that.

Many, many posts here have illustrated how a failure to "fix" it results in revenues for UA.

You're a 1KMM. What of the last several years of history with UA management practices gives you the belief that this isn't a case of UA maximizing revenues?
...more my 25 years of experience in the IT industry in Fortune 100 companies.

It's a defect. UAInsider (Shannon) admitted that post-merger, and as others mentioned, a carryover from CO days.

Originally Posted by channa
Wow? This problem has been in CO's systems for as long as I can remember -- well over 10 years.
Fixes to defects are prioritized. Cost/benefit analysis (which may involve the reasons you cite) would lead them to conclude this is very low priority which certainly could approach or reach no priority.

Originally Posted by greg99
The cost savings benefits do not exceed the loss of revenues related to incremental additional TOD/other buyups that are facilitated by the current "system." The IT costs are miniscule.
I concur, but I think if they are intentionally trying to maximize revenue in this method, they would extend the gap time of this synchronization problem, possibly to unlimited, heck, just eliminate instruments clearing at all...

This is convenient to them to just let it slide as is...

Last edited by dmodemd; Nov 12, 2014 at 2:42 pm
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
It's a defect. UAInsider (Shannon) admitted that post-merger, and as others mentioned, a carryover from CO days.

Fixes to defects are prioritized. Cost/benefit analysis (which may involve the reasons you cite) would lead them to conclude this is very low priority which certainly could approach or reach no priority.
Agree this is almost certainly the explanation. It would not be an unreasonable assumption, based on the lack of fix, that there is no easy fix.

I don't see how this bug increases revenue for UA. R opens and is taken. The issue is whether it's taken according to the waitlist or by queue jumpers. The outcome is revenue neutral to UA.

Moreover, R does not need to be open for UA to sell upgrades. That's been documented many, many times by pax who have been offered buy-ups with waitlisted instruments and R0.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Phone call #5 got me a friendly Denver agent who pushed it through. What a frustrating way to do things.
This is not the way United should do business.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agree this is almost certainly the explanation. It would not be an unreasonable assumption, based on the lack of fix, that there is no easy fix.
I am still saying that an easy adequate fix/workaround exists. They just don't have this as a high priority.

In the least they can increase the frequency of sweep checks for R>0, it really cannot be very processing intensive!
I think I saw earlier that this sweep is currently only done once every 24 hours. Inventory management could release space at various times and that is the sync problem, so just increase the sweep frequency, at least between T-96 to T-24.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am still saying that an easy adequate fix/workaround exists.
Now you're just speculating.

Without specific knowledge of how the various systems work together, and the potential complicating factors, it's really not possible to say whether the fix is "easy" or not.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Now you're just speculating.

Without specific knowledge of how the various systems work together, and the potential complicating factors, it's really not possible to say whether the fix is "easy" or not.

Exactly. Perhaps the "fix" that's been proposed is already in existence, and there's some sort of bug or other issue stalling it on one record (which is an issue with EUA/CPU as well).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:19 pm

there's some sort of bug or other issue stalling it on one record (which is an issue with EUA/CPU as well).
I thought they had cleared that up but I have had a couple instances lately where when I cleared my ticket got into a state that required a reissue before I could select my seat or check-in. As far as the system was concerned though, I had cleared successfully.

Agree, there could be some hangup in the clearing process that makes it unable to continue. Would hope it would send error to support and it can be manually cleared but again that may be part of the needed fix.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:37 pm

A while back I applied two RPUs on one segment of one PNR that has two passengers. Got waitlisted. I now see that the segment is R1. What does UA do in this case? Hold the waitlist until the flight goes R2 and then upgrade my reservation? Or, will UA upgrade someone lower on the list who flies alone?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:40 pm

Exactly. Perhaps the "fix" that's been proposed is already in existence, and there's some sort of bug or other issue stalling it on one record (which is an issue with EUA/CPU as well).
Brings to mind the planned roll-out of new functionality allowing on-line processing of GPUs on LH, which was apparently right on the verge of happening, then they discovered it didn't work.

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
A while back I applied two RPUs on one segment of one PNR that has two passengers. Got waitlisted. I now see that the segment is R1. What does UA do in this case? Hold the waitlist until the flight goes R2 and then upgrade my reservation? Or, will UA upgrade someone lower on the list who flies alone?
The will go down the list and clear the next single passenger PNR.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 15, 2014 at 4:36 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
and furthermore, anyone who applies an instrument to the flight, who are not on the waitlist, will be upgraded immediately upon request.

OP, the only way to circumvent your situation is to split the PNR and request 1 of the 2 pax be upgraded into the open R1 space. or await R2, and if your UP doesn't clear, call it in and have them jam it through.

epic good system
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
UA 944 on 11/15 ORD-FRA
This morning showed R3. My IAH-ORD waitlist clear this morning but ORD-FRA did not. I called and they cleared it without any problem,
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
called today after J9 became J0 over the last 2 days and my UG still showed waitlisted. Well, I was apparently never on the UG list
o.k., so I SDC to escape the problem and get an R seat within 24 hours then I call 2 hours later to the the next segment within 24 hours and the last segment (TATL) clears by itself ... checked @ 5.00 p.m. and R=0 then I leave work and when I get home I see a 5.05 pm Email telling me my upgrade is confirmed.

What a messed up system ... UA must fix this

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 15, 2014 at 4:36 am Reason: profanity removed
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
and furthermore, anyone who applies an instrument to the flight, who are not on the waitlist, will be upgraded immediately upon request.

OP, the only way to circumvent your situation is to split the PNR and request 1 of the 2 pax be upgraded into the open R1 space. or await R2, and if your UP doesn't clear, call it in and have them jam it through.

epic good system
Thank you Kacee and PV_Premier for the replies. I split the reservation and called the premier line to process the waitlist. It took the agent not even five seconds to get it done. One upgraded, one still on the waiting list. Thanks again.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cfischer
What a messed up system ... UA must fix this

UA is not fixing any of this. This problem plagued CO for well over a decade. It never got fixed there, it's not getting fixed now.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Happened Thursday SFO-TPE on a date change: website showing R2, but 1K cust svc said they were seeing R0, so no upgrade. Called back ten minutes later and bingo: upgraded, my last one for the year. I wonder how many 1Ks have GPUs who don't realize what's really involved to make these things happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.