Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abrutus
Just to update everybody.
As of today 12/28/2014. Best way to clear an upgrade using RPU/GPU`s is to make the reservation on flights that have confirmed R space available. Therefore they will clear instantly at booking.
For waitlisted flights, you will have to look for R space segment by segment like an eagle, (I would do it twice per day), and once it becomes available CALL IN!!!!!! and have the agent force the upgrade. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT UPGRADE YOU AUTOMATICALLY (at least not fast enough, and that lag in time many times is enough for others to be upgraded and take away your seat trough other means (Money+Miles* or straight up purchasing a a seat in first,etc).
I was waitlisted for an RPU upgrade on a DFW-DEN flight on Jan 8. This morning as I was doing my morning R Space check on that segment I saw that it had R space available, and as expected :/.... I was still waitlisted for my RPU upgrade.
So I called it, told them I had an RPU and wanted the seat.. and the agent sounded so surprised, She was like ooh wow! I wonder why it did not clear, Good eye sir!. I was like.. man, if she only knew.
So long story short.
For waitlisted upgrades, Look for R space diligently and once you find space, Call in and get it while it last!
Wating till t-24 or so its a whole lottery in it of itself :S
The struggle is real! thats all im going to say..
Old news posted many times, even in this thread. Is a glitch that needs to be fixed, you may not be #1 on the list and could be taking an upgrade away from someone higher on the list than you. Agent should see where you are on the list and if you are not number one they should say Thank you for letting us know, we will process the list in order until R runs out again.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA; British Avios
Originally Posted by Baze
Old news posted many times, even in this thread. Is a glitch that needs to be fixed, you may not be #1 on the list and could be taking an upgrade away from someone higher on the list than you. Agent should see where you are on the list and if you are not number one they should say Thank you for letting us know, we will process the list in order until R runs out again.
Hush!! let us enjoy this while it lasts!.... I mean.. there is gotta be a perk to all this ^^insider knowledge^^ we get here at flyertalk...
otherwise what else can I enjoy as a lonely silver? flying out of SFO. :S
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hush!! let us enjoy this while it lasts!.... I mean.. there is gotta be a perk to all this ^^insider knowledge^^ we get here at flyertalk...
otherwise what else can I enjoy as a lonely silver? flying out of SFO. :S
Nope, I will continue to be vocal about it.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hush!! let us enjoy this while it lasts!
UA has been aware of this issue for years. They don't care.

Originally Posted by alexperi
I understand that this is not a useful data point since I have no idea how long R was open before the upgrade actually cleared, but it's proof, at least, that upgrades can sometimes clear off the waitlist....
Instrument upgrades clear off the waitlist all the time. In many instances, you will never see R open. Don't let this thread give you a misimpression - open R with an instrument waitlisted is by far the exception.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 28, 2014 at 3:55 pm
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kacee
I inquired to UA Insider and they confirmed they are working on the issue but no word as to when a fix/improvement will be made.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I inquired to UA Insider and they confirmed they are working on the issue but no word as to when a fix/improvement will be made.
Ha. There is a post by UA Insider from 2012 which says UA is working on a fix.

Don't hold your breath.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Instrument upgrades clear off the waitlist all the time. In many instances, you will never see R open.
In most instances you will never catch R open. Whether it works instantaneously or near-instantaneously, we don't know.

Nearly all technology issues that CO had are still around today.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't care, rather they really don't know what the heck they're doing. They probably have no clue how to fix half these things on these ancient systems.

Don't hold your breath.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Until UA Insider says it's done and deployed, it's not meaningful.

UA Insider said the phone number recognition would be fixed (i.e. a way to get off the blacklist and back to working) a year ago. And yet, here we are on the eve of 2015, without it.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Upgrade was waitlisted for MEX-IAD in mid-January with RPU. Checked this morning and R=1 so called. Agent was confused as to why upgrade didn't clear but she called for some help and confirmed upgrade for me. Would be so nice if we didn't have to check all flights with waitlisted upgrades every day!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Upgrade was waitlisted for MEX-IAD in mid-January with RPU. Checked this morning and R=1 so called. Agent was confused as to why upgrade didn't clear but she called for some help and confirmed upgrade for me. Would be so nice if we didn't have to check all flights with waitlisted upgrades every day!
I'm always surprised that the agents are surprised about this. I've seen it so many times personally (not to mention how many others on the board have seen it), how can the agents possibly be surprised at something like this?

Last edited by goalie; Dec 29, 2014 at 11:10 am Reason: removed response to deleted post and trolling PMCO comment
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I'm always surprised that the agents are surprised about this. I've seen it so many times personally (not to mention how many others on the board have seen it), how can the agents possibly be surprised at something like this?
I think the only explanation for this is that COdbaUA is hiring lots of inexperienced agents, paying them poorly, and seeing a high turnover rate as a result. As you say, otherwise it's difficult to see why every agent doesn't encounter this numerous times.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starman
I think the only explanation for this is that COdbaUA is hiring lots of inexperienced agents, paying them poorly, and seeing a high turnover rate as a result. As you say, otherwise it's difficult to see why every agent doesn't encounter this numerous times.

Either that, or the CO fear culture prevents them from acknowledging any negative about the company, even if obviously true, so the easiest thing to do is to play dumb.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm always surprised that the agents are surprised about this. ...
I'm, not -- there are many thousands of agents , and if every active poster in this forum had done this a handful of times, only a some percentage of the agents would have had this request and even adding in the non-member readers -- we are still likely in low percentages. And add in a likely level of turnover ....... We sometime over estimate the size of our community.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*

Don't hold your breath.
Nearly all technology issues that CO had are still around today.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't care, rather they really don't know what the heck they're doing.
Originally Posted by mduell
Until UA Insider says it's done and deployed, it's not meaningful.
I agree, it is very low priority!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)

Instrument upgrades clear off the waitlist all the time. In many instances, you will never see R open. Don't let this thread give you a misimpression - open R with an instrument waitlisted is by far the exception.
HA yea right. It is the RULE not the exception. 4 of my 8 GPU's in 2014 cleared because I called up and grabbed R space when it showed available and I was still waitlisted. The other 4 cleared at booking.

The best grab was LAX->LHR in Jan. I was online looking at the upgrades window right before checkin and with my GPU waitlisted I was able to post a second GPU(offered Confirmed upgrade with instrument) about 5min before OLCI started and swipe 1 of the 2 R's that were open. Got my original GPU back after my flight as I had basically used 2 GPU's to upgrade. I know I bypassed about 3 GS doing that as there was lots of DYKWIA at the gate and on the plane.

This is One of the MANY reasons I am not planning on flying UA this year. It is ridiculous that they can't fix it! it has been almost three years and they don't care!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.