Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I assume the no upgrade rule applies to domestic upgrades too?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to assume so, see nothing to suggest any wiggle room.
What domestic legs are you seeing this fare offered on?
I agree; I'd assume no CPUs / domestic upgrade instruments allowed.

You'd see it on domestic legs connecting to international LGT flights, if the entire journey is a through fare (which is likely).
Oof, that is a draconian twist I'd not considered. I'd already hoped never to be flying one of these, but now more so.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to assume so, see nothing to suggest any wiggle room.
What domestic legs are you seeing this fare offered on?
I’ve been looking at flights to DFW from ZRH/LUG/MXP, all the flights are light fares.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

I’ve been looking at flights to DFW from ZRH/LUG/MXP, all the flights are light fares.
I just purchased this flight, it gives me the option to pay to upgrade all flights including TATL. It also says CPU requested for the domestic legs. Says online upgrade not available on all legs, but let's me select an RPU but not confirm it. Weird.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Do 1Ks still get 2 free bags on these fares (assuming the TATL is UA operated?)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Do 1Ks still get 2 free bags on these fares (assuming the TATL is UA operated?)
Should be 3, actually. No changes to UA elite allowances when initial check-in is with UA.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I have an LHR-LAX-LHR in Dec and have a hand luggage only fare. I am planning on taking a checked bag and want to know if this is cheaper done in advance or whether I can leave it to the airport.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I have an LHR-LAX-LHR in Dec and have a hand luggage only fare. I am planning on taking a checked bag and want to know if this is cheaper done in advance or whether I can leave it to the airport.
UA doesn't offer the ability to pre-pay baggage fees.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
UA doesn't offer the ability to pre-pay baggage fees.
thank you. I didn't even occur to me that I wouldn't be able to prepay. At the airport it is then!
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Continental
Very Restricted K fare questions

I'm looking at sfo-ams and seeing a K fare for 681RT, and a restricted K fare for 591 RT.
The restricted fare does not include a checked bag (Unless premier), it does show PQM earnings.
According to the website the restricted K fare does not allow changes or upgrades and it's non refundable of course.
Does anyone have any experience with these fares?
If by some chance R became available, would it be possible to buy up to W, then use a GPU?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are looking at UA's BE fare. The restrictions are exactly what they say they are. You may be able to buy up and you may not. No way to predict.

Just to be clear, the "no changes" means no changes, even for a fee. If you cannot fly the exact flight booked, you lose the value of the ticket. Only you know your risk tolerance.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
You are looking at UA's BE fare. The restrictions are exactly what they say they are. You may be able to buy up and you may not. No way to predict...
Does UA call those TATL fares “BE”?

Edit: Looks like they are. I thought UA was referring to them as something else...

2nd edit: to get the fare on app one has to select “show basic economy”, so it’s a bit confusing because BE domestic limitations don’t all apply TATL.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 7, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Continental
It certainly seems like a BE fare, but does not show up that way...also shows PQM earnings..I thought a BE fare does not earn PQM.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hockey7711
... If by some chance R became available, would it be possible to buy up to W, then use a GPU?
No, that's what "no changes" means.

It certainly seems like a BE fare, but does not show up that way...also shows PQM earnings .. I thought a BE fare does not earn PQM.
Not BE, it is *A Light Economy and it has fewer restrictions than BE.
See this thread's wiki for the differences

UA is not offering BE on TATL but it is offering this restricted -LGT TATL fares.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It certainly seems like a BE fare, but does not show up that way...also shows PQM earnings..I thought a BE fare does not earn PQM.
It isn't BE. UA is planning to introduce TATL BE -- they've said as much -- but haven't done it yet; this is an intermediate phase. But they're serious about the "no changes" part -- use it or lose it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
I found a IAD-ARN "Light" fare that was $100 less than "normal" economy. The fare was about $50 lower than competing "regular" carriers and on par with LCCs like Norwegian and Wow.
Since I'm a lowly general member without any change of getting upgrades and I have a UA branded Chase card that gives me the first checked bag for free, the Light fare seems to work just fine for me in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.