Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
Thanks, it's exactly this that i wanted to confirm, having looked at the FAQ before. I probably should have been more precise in my question - does each BE flight count as 1 of the 4 flights needed for status?
It should! This is precisely how UA has treated all revenue tickets before on UA metal regardless of fare class. For instance if I was flying Polaris J on UA it would count as 1 segment even though the PQS was 1.5.

if it meant anything different that would be reflected either in the FAQ or accrual page (and it isn't). All that being said Economy Basic is a new concept for TATL and domestic now that they've rewritten the rules there, I suppose I'll have to see in June how all this works out!

One other thing to note, the 500 PQM minimum on basic economy becomes a 250 mile minimum since what determines the actual minimum amount used is the PQM accrual percentage. This is also why when you fly J (which earns 200% PQM) it becomes a 1000 mile minimum.

Hope that clarifies things!

-James
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
I wasn't aware of these Dec 11 changes until I tried to book a TATL flight yesterday and couldn't select E+, as I typically do.

Now what happens with all my Economy Light bookings made pre-Dec 11? I had booked many LHR-EWR flights for 2019 at the very beginning of December. Will they now accrue at 50% PQM? I would guess so because PQM earnings are not a part of fare rules. That feels crappy.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by vip66
I wasn't aware of these Dec 11 changes until I tried to book a TATL flight yesterday and couldn't select E+, as I typically do.

Now what happens with all my Economy Light bookings made pre-Dec 11? I had booked many LHR-EWR flights for 2019 at the very beginning of December. Will they now accrue at 50% PQM? I would guess so because PQM earnings are not a part of fare rules. That feels crappy.
I had a flight booked pre-Dec 11 but flown after Dec 11. 100% posted. I still have a few more flights left, but I won’t fly these fares again.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I had a flight booked pre-Dec 11 but flown after Dec 11. 100% posted. I still have a few more flights left, but I won’t fly these fares again.
There may be a way around this restriction: I just booked LHR->SFO/EWR->LHR on UA this morning via AmEx travel (UK). Immediately after booking through the portal I plugged the confirmation into the UA website. I then went to manage reservation where it showed the status as "Ticketing". Interestingly, the itinerary said nothing about Economy Basic during this phase and I could go into the manage seats and chose my E+ seats for both legs no problems. After ticketing was complete, the itinerary then said Economy Basic, yet, interestingly my seat assignments in E+ were saved. My trip is in June so I'll let folks know how this works out going forward but thought I'd pass on this potential workaround (for now at least).

I don't know how to feel about these changes for Economy Basic. On the one hand the limited PQM earning sucks, but you don't earn many miles for TATL journeys anyways (you gotta cross the Pacific to rack up the real milage). The things that really matter for Premier status such counting to the 4 segment minimum and lifetime BIS are still there in Economy Basic, so I'm not losing anything there. Lack of complimentary changes, while not ideal, is a feature I rarely use for INTL itineraries since I have them planned down to a k (fare). No upgrades is no big deal since my MUAs rarely clear as a lowly Gold and ToDs TATL are rarely cheap (and now only earn 150% PQM in the best case). Baggage is the same as before which I suppose is nice as is the access to * lounges. In the end I chose the Economy Basic fare cause normal economy would be $130 CAD more and I didn't see where the benefits were for normal economy.

Technically those aren't Economy Basic. If you go into Manage Reservation it'll show up as Economy (no changes, no upgrades). You'll still be able to choose your E+ seating and milage will accrue at 100% as god intended

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
There may be a way around this restriction: I just booked LHR->SFO/EWR->LHR on UA this morning via AmEx travel (UK). Immediately after booking through the portal I plugged the confirmation into the UA website. I then went to manage reservation where it showed the status as "Ticketing". Interestingly, the itinerary said nothing about Economy Basic during this phase and I could go into the manage seats and chose my E+ seats for both legs no problems. After ticketing was complete, the itinerary then said Economy Basic, yet, interestingly my seat assignments in E+ were saved. My trip is in June so I'll let folks know how this works out going forward but thought I'd pass on this potential workaround (for now at least).

I don't know how to feel about these changes for Economy Basic. On the one hand the limited PQM earning sucks, but you don't earn many miles for TATL journeys anyways (you gotta cross the Pacific to rack up the real milage). The things that really matter for Premier status such counting to the 4 segment minimum and lifetime BIS are still there in Economy Basic, so I'm not losing anything there. Lack of complimentary changes, while not ideal, is a feature I rarely use for INTL itineraries since I have them planned down to a k (fare). No upgrades is no big deal since my MUAs rarely clear as a lowly Gold and ToDs TATL are rarely cheap (and now only earn 150% PQM in the best case). Baggage is the same as before which I suppose is nice as is the access to * lounges. In the end I chose the Economy Basic fare cause normal economy would be $130 CAD more and I didn't see where the benefits were for normal economy.

Technically those aren't Economy Basic. If you go into Manage Reservation it'll show up as Economy (no changes, no upgrades). You'll still be able to choose your E+ seating and milage will accrue at 100% as god intended

Safe Travels,

James
To me, the big problem is seat assignment.

I guess the seat assignment loophole is because the gap between reservation and ticketing (and when booked through other sources the time gap is longer) and the system needs the fare basis too determine if it should lock you out of seat assignment? Interesting they did not put this in the ticketing process to clear all the seat assignments :-)

PQS is 50% also. So, harder to get elite, the elite status is less useful (i.e. no can't pick E+) on one hand but more useful on another (i.e. baggage).

I also noticed that the differential between this fare and the regular fare varies based on route.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:07 am

United change chaos

Can someone help me understand what the rules actually are for my United ticket?

I have a United "first bag charge/no changes allowed" ticket that originated in Berlin and is back to Brownsville Texas. It cost around 1200 doIlars. I already used the Berlin to Brownsville portion and have the Brownsville to Berlin portion booked for next year.

The first time I called, the agent said my return flight was worth 700 dollars plus taxes. He said I could upgrade the ticket to a standard fare for 100 dollars and then pay 400 change fee and get 200 plus taxes back as a flight credit to use wherever I want.

The second time I called, the agent said I could pay 100 dollars to upgrade to a standard fare, then pay a 300 change fee but could only use the flight credit to return only to Germany from anywhere in the USA.

The third time I called the agent said I could pay 100 dollars to upgrade to a standard fare plus a 140 dollar change fee but could use the remaining credit for a one way ticket to return to anywhere in Europe. But she said only 225 can be applied in credit to my new flight and she has no idea why.

None of these conversations make any sense to me. They are all talking to people on the "rate desk" who they say I am not allowed to speak to directly. Nobody seems to know what the rules actually are and this is extremely frustrating.

Any thoughts on how to get a straight answer and what I can actually do with this ticket??

​​​​

Last edited by AZ26; Dec 29, 2018 at 10:13 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AZ26
Can someone help me understand what the rules actually are for my United ticket?

I have a United "first bag charge/no changes allowed" ticket that originated in Berlin and is back to Brownsville Texas. It cost around 1200 doIlars. I already used the Berlin to Brownsville portion and have the Brownsville to Berlin portion booked for next year.

The first time I called, the agent said my return flight was worth 700 dollars plus taxes. He said I could upgrade the ticket to a standard fare for 100 dollars and then pay 400 change fee and get 200 plus taxes back as a flight credit to use wherever I want.

The second time I called, the agent said I could pay 100 dollars to upgrade to a standard fare, then pay a 300 change fee but could only use the flight credit to return only to Germany from anywhere in the USA.

The third time I called the agent said I could pay 100 dollars to upgrade to a standard fare plus a 140 dollar change fee but could use the remaining credit for a one way ticket to return to anywhere in Europe. But she said only 225 can be applied in credit to my new flight and she has no idea why.

None of these conversations make any sense to me. They are all talking to people on the "rate desk" who they say I am not allowed to speak to directly. Nobody seems to know what the rules actually are and this is extremely frustrating.

Any thoughts on how to get a straight answer and what I can actually do with this ticket??

​​​​
Not sure why all the confusion.

The fare rules are only available before you complete your ticket. My advice to anyone is to download and save them before you complete your purchase. It's the only way you can see them after purchase (unless you have a subscription to ExpertFlyer or similar). Those fare rules would govern the conditions of your ticket, including what ability you have to make changes, and what those changes cost (typically, a flat change fee, plus any fare difference). It gets complicated when you've already flown one way, as you many tickets aren't fared where the full price is half directed to one direction, half the other (though it is possible), and what the condiitions are (you still have to meet the conditions of the original ticket - so if your fare had a, say, 60 day maximum stay, and your return now violates that, you'd be put in a higher fare class).

However, you are on a 'no changes allowed' ticket. Which is pretty self-explanatory - no changes allowed. That's likely in the fare rules you agreed to, and so technically, it is probably a throw away. If they're letting you change it for any amount, and it makes more sense (i.e., cheaper) then buying a new ticket - take it. I'm not sure why you are being given that option, but you really shouldn't be - for any amount (unless in IRROPS on the day of travel).

The rate desk, by the way, is an internal group that is meant to help agents price things the system isn't auto-pricing. You won't get to talk to them - this is a resource that the agents use, typically putting the caller on hold to sort out the deal, and then once that is done, the agent will return to the phone to let the customer know the outcome.

As for the specific rules on your ticket, no one here is going to be able to tell you that. I'd suggest taking the best offer you had of your calls, and letting the agent know that is what you were offered. They may not give you that rate, if they are giving you something else, but its at least worth a shot. Like I said, any change they let you make (that is less than the cost of buying a new one way) is going to be a win for you.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Originally Posted by j2simpso
As i noted further upthread they actually show as BE now and one can't change the seats to other E+ seats, at least on my booking (though the PQM earning shows correct). I contacted UA about this and was told i'd need to call in to get the seats changed.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by a9504477
As i noted further upthread they actually show as BE now and one can't change the seats to other E+ seats, at least on my booking (though the PQM earning shows correct). I contacted UA about this and was told i'd need to call in to get the seats changed.
This likely is a case of YMMV. For the ticket I purchased to LAX in September, it shows up as Economy (first bag charge/no changes permitted) but it may show up differently depending on when you purchased it and UA's IT system. The point of the matter is that if you've purchased these tickets prior to Dec 11, you should be fine for PQM accrual and E+ seat assignment.

-James
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See this: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-100-pqds.html

I am surprised any change is possible AND that these fares are this high ($1200)???

What does the e-ticket receipt's fare calculation say?

It seems Agent #1 and Agent #3's solutions will cost you more than you can reuse/get back, right? So, it seems as long as it is not one of these situations, you are getting a good deal.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by username
I am surprised any change is possible AND that these fares are this high ($1200)???
NO CHANGES ALLOWED fares provide a complete VOLUNTARY CHANGES provision, including a change fee of 300 USD in the fare I saw. However, it restricts the use of that provision to tickets that were sold by a certain IATA agent number. I can't find the number when I check it with IATA, I guess it's an internal UA number. So looks like it can be changed when it's sold by UA itself, despite the "NO CHANGES ALLOWED" fare title.

Originally Posted by username
AND that these fares are this high ($1200)???
Sure, I can find a WHWB6LGT BERBRO fare that goes for 1265.00(USD) base without taxes.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold
Hi there!

Quick question:

Basic Economy tickets operated by United with booking class K earn now 50 % PQM, right?

I'm very unsure even thought I've read the website multiple times: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/united.html

So, booking my ticket on partners might better because with some of them I'd still earn 100 % PQM, right?

Last edited by jimaras08; Jan 3, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct, but UA will be cutting partner earning for TATL BE as well just as soon as they can figure out how.

Note that not all Basic Economy tickets have booking class K, and not all tickets booked in K are Basic Economy tickets. This is part of why the "how" is hard.
jsloan and jimaras08 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Is it possible to have UA BE segments only on 016 tickets or also on other ticket stock?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Changes allowed for IRROPs in OLD version of TATL light fare?

Got a flight today EWR-SFO: which looks like it' may get weather on both sides. It's a second segment of a TATL "light" fare -- the "first bag not free/no changes" one.

I know we can't change flights or get upgraded -- voluntarily.. Thats' no problem. The quesiton: in the event of IRROPS: does the "no changes" rule get waived or are we really stuck on a (potentially) very delayed flight when there may be better options?

Who has experience with BE/Light/yucko fares with IRROPS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.