Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Basic Economy is present just domestic flights
UA has Basic Economy on select international flights within North America and the Caribbean. Light fares are offered TATL. They haven't gotten around to adding either TPAC yet -- presumably either due to competitive pressure or some integration problem with NH/NZ.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Richym99
One question that I cannot see has been covered and might need personal experience to answer.

If a premier member (in this case a 1k) books two tickets on the same PNR, one for himself and one for a general member, do both get the same luggage allowance or does only the 1k member. (It seems pointless denying the GM an allowance as the 1k can simply deposit two cases and say they are both mine).

I do know that E+ is available to both pax as I have tried a dummy booking.
Answering my own question, now I have a definitve answer from UA in the form of a booking confirmation and a chat with the 1K line.

Where a non MP premier member is travelling on the same reservation as a premier member who is first named on the reservation, the non-premier member gets the same checked luggage allowance as the premier member or *A Gold member. (Either two or three 32kg bags), provided that the first flight is on UA and check in was through United.

(Note, this is referring specifically to TATL Light fares offered by United, Lufthansa, Austrian, Air Canada and Swiss, not basic economy domestic fares.

Originally Posted by tutsxan
Thank you for your explanation.

So it seems we agree that I do get a free checked bag as long as I use my Explorer Card.

What I'm not sure about is the seat selection. Threeoh, we are trying to book a long-haul international flight from Newark to Portugal. Your 2nd option is the correct one. As you wrote, it says YES to seat selection if available. WineCountryUA wrote that we won't be able to select seats.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
This depends entirely on what route and carrier you chose to fly across the Atlantic.

For example, if you fly from EWR to LIS on the non stop UA service, and purchase your tickets with your Chase card, you will get your free baggage allowance and be able to select your seats at booking.

If you decide to fly via a non direct route, which involves a first flight via United and connecting flights via another airline, you will receive your checked baggage allowance on the outward leg, but will be restricted to free hand luggage only on the return. (bear in mind that LH and others have an 8kg hand luggage allowance as well). You will only be able to select seats in advance of check in on any UA flights, as others like LH do not offer free advance seat selection.

If your first flight and check in is with any airline other than UA for both outward and return flights, you will be restricted to free hand luggage and no advance seat reservations in either direction. Any checked luggage and advance seat reservations will have to be paid for, although you do have the option of electing the more expensive non "Light" equivalent fare which includes a bag allowance.

In short, United are being a lot more generous to selective travellers than the other alliance airlines in conjunction with these fares.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 8, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
.., , provided that the first flight is on UA and check in was through United.
interesting that the UA has to be the first flight and not just any flight on the reservation. Might this rule apply to other areas?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean

interesting that the UA has to be the first flight and not just any flight on the reservation. Might this rule apply to other areas?
Not really. The airline that operates your first flight generally dictates the luggage policy and you normally have to check in with that airline. For example, if I fly LHR (LH) FRA (UA) SFO, I have to check in with LH, and my hand luggage cannot exceed 8kg weight, despite me being able to take 23kg in the cabin on my onward flight.

The exact wording of the luggage exemption for those wanting to book these "light" fares is:

MileagePlus Premier® members, Star Alliance™ Gold members, and qualifying MileagePlus cardmembers who purchase their tickets with their card will receive standard checked bag benefits when checking in with United for flights operated by United or United Express®.

In other words, if you have to check in with any other airline, the no free checked bag rule applies irrespective of whether UA is your primary carrier or ticket issuer.

I reiterate though, that I am only referring to rules for transatlantic flights issued in accordance with "light" fare rules. The rules for any other ticket types, including Basic Economy may be different.

Last edited by Richym99; Nov 8, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really. The airline that operates your first flight generally dictates the luggage policy and you normally have to check in with that airline.
Well, yes and no.

I mean, you always check-in with the operating carrier of the first flight; that's a given. The luggage policy may or may not be that airline's policy.* However, luggage policy waivers, such as those provided by credit card membership or Premier status, aren't part of the policy; they're special promotions, basically, that only apply when you're checking in with the airline that offers them. In other words, LH doesn't care that you have a MileagePlus Explorer card. UA does.

* For flights to/from the US, the luggage policy that applies is that of the marketing carrier for the first flight on the itinerary. For flights that don't touch the US, it's even more complicated. But, again, this doesn't include any special policy waivers.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:51 am

So with an LGT reservation through united.com using my Explorer card with outgoing being SFO (UA) ZRH (LX) CPH and returning CPH (AC) YYZ (AC) SFO, I may not get a free checked bag on the way back?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:06 pm

So with an LGT reservation through united.com using my Explorer card with outgoing being SFO (UA) ZRH (LX) CPH and returning CPH (AC) YYZ (AC) SFO, I may not get a free checked bag on the way back?
No "may" about it. You will be required to pay for your checked bag on the return journey.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:29 am

No "may" about it. You will be required to pay for your checked bag on the return journey.
Thank you, confirmed by the details of my reservation. I guess there’s no way around it, given United doesn’t fly within Scandinavia.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 11:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..., given United doesn’t fly within Scandinavia.
only ARN-EWR
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Flew ZRH-LAX a few weeks ago. All those Y-Class travelers brought large carry-ons with them (this phenomena only used to be something seen on short hoal flights).
Result: they had to check 35 (!!!) bags on the aircraft as all Y-Class Overheads were full. Flight got delayed. This is getting out of control.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2018 at 3:36 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 330
Flew ZRH-LAX a few weeks ago. ....
The LX flight? UA does not operate this route, does codeshare with LX
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Afaik LH called this a "gesture of goodwill" since the new fare was announced months ago - at least on the German website. So it's truely not clear how long this will stay, but I'd guess for some months at least.
I have a copy of the webpage from July 4, 2018 and it has the same terminology: "The fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members who book the Economy Light fare. However, under a goodwill rule HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can check in one item of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge for the time being. This goodwill rule only applies at the airport check-in counter. If an item of baggage is booked in advance, e.g. online or in a travel agency, the baggage charge will still apply."

I'm flying in December with LH as my first outbound, so I wanted to make sure I could check a bag... I'm printing a copy of this in case the check-in desk (which is staffed by SAS stuff) gives me any grief.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:50 am

Hi all - what is the best way to search for Basic Economy fares from ZRH to SEA or SFO/SJC? Is there somewhere where I can find the rules involved? I can only find Basic Economy fares for flights > 5 nights for example - what are the other rules that I need to be aware of? or is there a way to book Basic Eco for a shorter trip?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by Lore
I have a copy of the webpage from July 4, 2018 and it has the same terminology: "The fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members who book the Economy Light fare. However, under a goodwill rule HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can check in one item of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge for the time being. This goodwill rule only applies at the airport check-in counter. If an item of baggage is booked in advance, e.g. online or in a travel agency, the baggage charge will still apply."

I'm flying in December with LH as my first outbound, so I wanted to make sure I could check a bag... I'm printing a copy of this in case the check-in desk (which is staffed by SAS stuff) gives me any grief.
If you have a companion, please also report back if the *G 23kg transfers to them, too. I hesitate to buy one for my wife's travel on LH.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Hi all - what is the best way to search for Basic Economy fares from ZRH to SEA or SFO/SJC? ...
Just a point about terminology-- there is presently no BE TATL. There are "-LGT" fares which do not include a free checked bag or allows changes. For more on the differences see the thread's wiki or Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Is there somewhere where I can find the rules involved? ...
You need to consult the fare rules for min stay requirements. You can do that via a paid service like ExpertFlyer or KVS
or you adjust the stay until the fare shows and then read the fare rules on UA.
How to find fare rules for united flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.