Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 18, 8:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Originally Posted by findark View Post
{table reproduced below to fix wikipost formatting}
Code:
. Basic Economy (N) -LGT Fares (normal rbd)
 . Benefit (domestic only) (European TATL markets)
 . UA Gold OAL *G UA Gold OAL *G
 . ================================================================
 . 3x70 (UA)
 . Baggage Allowance 2x70 1x50 1x50 (OAL) 1x50
 . Full-sized carryon Yes Yes Yes Yes
 . Group 1 boarding Yes Yes Yes Yes
 . Economy Plus No No Yes No
 . E- Seat Selection $$ $$ Yes Yes
 . Upgrades No No No No
 . Changes (incl. SDC) No No No No
 . Lounge Access No [1] Yes Yes Yes
 . MP Premier Credit No No Yes Yes
 . [1] No access for UA*G on a domestic itinerary in any cabin

Related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 23, 18, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I called the Premier rez line last night to ask about how the new 'economy lite' fares affected those of us with a StarAlliance Gold card. (I am Premier Executive with UA.) The rep made a blanket statement saying that I could not use any of my gold-card privileges. I asked for a few more specifics, and she said that Economy Plus seating and advance seat assignments would not be available. (She did say I could pay $7 to book a seat in advance, but it would only be in the normal economy section.)

I'm curious about other Gold Card privileges, such as lounge use when flying international. Does the bar code on my ticket have information that would bar me from lounges during the flight itinerary? Also, what about baggage allowance? I'm allowed up to three bags at 32kg on some flights, and always a second bag on partner Star Alliance carriers when flying on a normal (i.e., not 'lite') economy fare.

Everything is quite hazy at the moment, and I can well imagine that not all United rez agents really know all of the facts. Do any of you have all of the facts?
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by EdGordon007 View Post
I called the Premier rez line last night to ask about how the new 'economy lite' fares affected those of us with a StarAlliance Gold card. (I am Premier Executive with UA.) The rep made a blanket statement saying that I could not use any of my gold-card privileges. I asked for a few more specifics, and she said that Economy Plus seating and advance seat assignments would not be available. (She did say I could pay $7 to book a seat in advance, but it would only be in the normal economy section.)

I'm curious about other Gold Card privileges, such as lounge use when flying international. Does the bar code on my ticket have information that would bar me from lounges during the flight itinerary? Also, what about baggage allowance? I'm allowed up to three bags at 32kg on some flights, and always a second bag on partner Star Alliance carriers when flying on a normal (i.e., not 'lite') economy fare.

Everything is quite hazy at the moment, and I can well imagine that not all United rez agents really know all of the facts. Do any of you have all of the facts?
Sounds like the agent may have been confusing 'Light' fares and 'Basic Economy' ones, which are different. There are no seat choice restrictions for Light / -LGT fares, for instance.

Here is a lot of discussion about the -LGT fares:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-allowed.html
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
What do you mean by "Economy Light"? Is this a domestic or international ticket?
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What do you mean by "Economy Light"? Is this a domestic or international ticket?
Economy Light is as shown below. It's Basic Economy for most folks. Those with status can still select seats in Economy Plus in advance and get their baggage allowance on UA. You do not get these things on partners.

For my upcoming trip to Sofia booked as EWR-MUC(UA)-SOF(LH)-VIE(OS)-EWR(OS)...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 23, 18 at 11:43 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; self quoting
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
Economy Light is as shown below. It's Basic Economy for most folks. Those with status can still select seats in Economy Plus in advance and get their baggage allowance on UA. You do not get these things on partners.

You're adding to the confusion here. There's Basic economy domestically and Economy light on international routes. If you buy either, as a Premier you still get to board with your normal boarding group and lounge privileges are the same as if you not bought either. You still get your normal bag allowances and (since you still board with your normal boarding group) you still get your normal carry-on allowance.

OP - There's been no such thing as United Executive status for more than 5 years now and lite fares are not offered just to "gold card" members. I think you've misconstrued what the agent told you. The question posed above is very important to resolving your confusion - are you buying an int'l ticket?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 23, 18 at 10:43 am
Old Oct 23, 18, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Pretty simple. If checking in with United on an Economy Light, there is zero differentiation in terms of flying experience (bags, seats, lounge).

If checking in with a partner, as noted in the above EWR to Sofia example, bags may be an issue at check-in versus the normal flight + *G allowance.
Old Oct 23, 18, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
A big source of confusion here is that "Economy Light" is not the marketing name of a United product. It's unclear what product or status the OP is referring to, so I made a quick chart to illustrate the differences.

Within the US, United will market Basic Economy fares. These always have a booking code of N -- you have a Basic Economy ticket if and only if you have a booking code of N. This is the most restrictive type of fare United sells.

In European TATL markets, United sells a fare listed as Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed). Because this is a mouthful to say, and because it aligns with the same offering from European carriers, this is usually called "Economy Light" here on FT. These fares use normal Economy booking codes, but the last three letters of the fare basis are LGT.

The chart shows some of the allowances, depending on whether you are a United Premier Gold, or Star Alliance Gold through a different airline's FFP.

Code:
                   Basic Economy (N)     -LGT Fares (normal rbd)
    Benefit         (domestic only)      (European TATL markets)
                   UA Gold    OAL *G        UA Gold    OAL *G
================================================================
                                           3x70 (UA)
Baggage Allowance    2x70      1x50        1x50 (OAL)    1x50

Full-sized carryon   Yes       Yes            Yes        Yes

Group 1 boarding     Yes       Yes            Yes        Yes

Economy Plus          No        No            Yes         No

E- Seat Selection     $$        $$            Yes        Yes

Upgrades              No        No             No         No

Changes (incl. SDC)   No        No             No         No

Lounge Access        No [1]    Yes            Yes        Yes

MP Premier Credit     No        No            Yes        Yes

[1] No access for UA*G on a domestic itinerary in any cabin
Old Oct 23, 18, 3:26 pm

A big source of confusion here is that "Economy Light" is not the marketing name of a United product. It's unclear what product or status the OP is referring to, so I made a quick chart to illustrate the differences.,,
Gold star awarded for going above and beyond!
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
My summation is that if it's an international flight and you're on UA metal 100%, then maybe for the cheap ticket as you lose being able to upgrade using miles or instruments and make free same-day changes. You get E+, lounge access, PQMs and regular luggage allowances. However, if it's international and you're going to have a portion of the iten on a partner airline, don't unless you're traveling with just a carryon or a single checked bag.

For domestic, Basic Economy doesn't make any sense for a status customer, since none of the stuff we hold dear such as PQMs, E+ for free and same day changes are available with the cheap fairs.
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 7:15 pm

A big source of confusion here is that "Economy Light" is not the marketing name of a United product. It's unclear what product or status the OP is referring to, so I made a quick chart to illustrate the differences.

Within the US, United will market Basic Economy fares. These always have a booking code of N -- you have a Basic Economy ticket if and only if you have a booking code of N. This is the most restrictive type of fare United sells.

In European TATL markets, United sells a fare listed as Economy (first bag charge/no changes allowed). Because this is a mouthful to say, and because it aligns with the same offering from European carriers, this is usually called "Economy Light" here on FT. These fares use normal Economy booking codes, but the last three letters of the fare basis are LGT.

The chart shows some of the allowances, depending on whether you are a United Premier Gold, or Star Alliance Gold through a different airline's FFP.

Code:
Basic Economy (N) -LGT Fares (normal rbd)
Benefit (domestic only) (European TATL markets)
UA Gold OAL *G UA Gold OAL *G
================================================================
3x70 (UA)
Baggage Allowance 2x70 1x50 1x50 (OAL) 1x50

Full-sized carryon Yes Yes Yes Yes

Group 1 boarding Yes Yes Yes Yes

Economy Plus No No Yes No

E- Seat Selection $$ $$ Yes Yes

Upgrades No No No No

Changes (incl. SDC) No No No No

Lounge Access No [1] Yes Yes Yes

MP Premier Credit No No Yes Yes

[1] No access for UA*G on a domestic itinerary in any cabin
Just thought Id add that lounge access is available on UA domestic flights for UA Gold and above so long as you dont access United Clubs. For instance, flying Economy Basic from LAX to EWR you could access the AC Maple Leaf lounge or Star Alliance lounge. Surprisingly, there are a number of airports in the US that feature *A Gold lounges not operated by UA. This is all outlined in this spreadsheet.

I will be travelling to LA LA land in March from LHR in UAs Norwegian fare (then back to LHR from EWR) and will report back on my experiences as Gold.

Safe Travels,

James
findark likes this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 11:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Can you do a buy-up with Lite fares?
Old Oct 24, 18, 12:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Can you do a buy-up with Lite fares?
No changes - no buyup for either BE or -LGT fares
Old Oct 24, 18, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
A big source of confusion here is that "Economy Light" is not the marketing name of a United product. It's unclear what product or status the OP is referring to
Exactly. OP's specific question can't be answered unless he tells us whether it's a domestic or international ticket.
Old Oct 24, 18, 9:20 am

Thanks findark for this overview. I did a search but it's still unclear to me whether companions on the same PNR as a non-UA *G get a free checked bag or not on TATL Economy Light fares. I booked one of those for an AMS-MCO return trip next month with all segments operated by UA and I got three different responses from three different agents.. (the first said one free bag for me only, the second said two free bags for me only, and the third said one free bag for everyone on the PNR). FWIW, the e-ticket receipt says two free bags for me but I'm not sure whether that is correct (shouldn't it be one?) and whether that applies to everyone on the PNR?
Old Dec 29, 18, 5:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1k.
I can tell you for sure that as of now, late December, UA elites on Light economy TATL (or whatever it is called) DO NOT ANYMORE get access to E+ or preferred seating for free.

I purchased a bunch of EWR-LHR earlier in December and was able to select E+ seats during booking. Just purchased another ticket yesterday and was NOT given that choice anymore.

Something's changed with the introduction of those preferred seating options.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: