Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:41 pm

United's basic economy passengers will earn 50 percent of the qualifying miles and half of a qualifying segment for each flight, while the price of the ticket will be fully applied.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"...while the price of the ticket will be fully applied..."

Towards PQDs?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
United's basic economy passengers will earn 50 percent of the qualifying miles and half of a qualifying segment for each flight, while the price of the ticket will be fully applied.
That announcement was made in the context of TATL Basic Economy. I haven't seen any announcement that they would begin to apply that to domestic BE also.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:46 pm

I think this article is conflating domestic BE and TATL BE.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
"...while the price of the ticket will be fully applied..."

Towards PQDs?
Or maybe just PRASM
drewguy, MTan and threeoh like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
More details, straight from United

https://united.canto.com/pdfviewer/v...f6l&suffix=pdf
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is an active discussion on the changes (and that document) in TATL BE in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-allowed.html
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:06 pm

50% PQM?! Yikes! Thank goodness I bought my UA Economy Basic ticket before these changes took effect so I should be earning 100% PQM on my March flight!

-James
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
What about LTM? United did not say anything about lifetime miles for the LGT tickets.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
50% PQM?! Yikes! Thank goodness I bought my UA Economy Basic ticket before these changes took effect so I should be earning 100% PQM on my March flight!

-James
i thought basic economy was 0% pqm to begin with. This change actually gives you 50%
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

i thought basic economy was 0% pqm to begin with. This change actually gives you 50%
The way I'm reading it is that TATL Economy Basic is only going to earn 50% PQM! I've got a LHR -> LAX flight booked for March (all on UA metal) which when I booked it (and in the confirmation email I received from UA) was told it would earn 100% PQM. I could frankly care less about domestic Y on UA earning 0% PQM since I never fly UA domestically (generally to US from CAN or from CAN to TATL or TPAC). For someone who considers the fare first then the airline this development is somewhat troubling since UA has almost always had the lowest fare for the places I wanted to go and even when it didn't more than made up for it in terms of benefits (i.e. E+ seating, priority service and lounges).

I for one, find it hard to believe that UA would want to penalize their most loyal travellers who put aside the $2K-$3K annually to travel with them (to earn Premier Gold) all to earn perhaps $100 more per pax?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:52 pm

The way I'm reading it is that TATL Economy Basic is only going to earn 50% PQM! I've got a LHR -> LAX flight booked for March (all on UA metal) which when I booked it (and in the confirmation email I received from UA) was told it would earn 100% PQM. I could frankly care less about domestic Y on UA earning 0% PQM since I never fly UA domestically (generally to US from CAN or from CAN to TATL or TPAC). For someone who considers the fare first then the airline this development is somewhat troubling since UA has almost always had the lowest fare for the places I wanted to go and even when it didn't more than made up for it in terms of benefits (i.e. E+ seating, priority service and lounges).

I for one, find it hard to believe that UA would want to penalize their most loyal travellers who put aside the $2K-$3K annually to travel with them (to earn Premier Gold) all to earn perhaps $100 more per pax?

Safe Travels,

James
you may very well be right but I think basic economy books into N class. I’ve purchased TATL light fares to Europe but they have always booked into L or T class which is 100%pqm.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

you may very well be right but I think basic economy books into N class. I’ve purchased TATL light fares to Europe but they have always booked into L or T class which is 100%pqm.
Looking at the Earn Miles on United Flights page, it says L,T,G (amongst a dozen others) earn 100% PQM and 1 PQS. However, upon looking at the exclusions section of the page it says:

Basic Economy purchases are not eligible to receive Premier qualifying credit (PQM/PQS/PQD). Basic Economy purchases also do not accrue lifetime miles and do not count toward the four segment minimum for Premier status.
Hence, it is somewhat opaque to me what will happen when Economy Light fares get lighter. I would be surprised if UA doesn't honour the PQM/RDM listed on the flight I purchased, since from reading these forums it appears that UA will honour that request when its on UA stock and metal. In any event, next year will likely be more challenging for me to re-gain Gold status...we'll have to wait and see what happens here (and hope that light doesn't come to TPAC flights where you can earn serious mileage).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Starting this Friday, coach passengers on United Airlines who want to avoid the back of the plane may have to pay up for it. The airline will charge a fee for so-called preferred seats on flights throughout its network. These seats don't come with extra legroom or other perks. They're standard economy seats that will be behind the Economy Plus rows, which come with more space.
It was only a matter of time until this was announced in it's own right. It was marked as coming in Q4 as a part of the Corporate Preferred program - New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section

Corporate preferred customers can select these seats for free as a perk of the program, which only made sense if others could not. I presume Gold and higher will also get them free - the question would be whether Silver does or not.

Here's a sample seat-map from the Corporate Preferred program website :

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find It extremely easy to believe. They've consistently shown the desire to rid themselves of travelers who achieve UA Gold by spending $2K-$3K per year, at least, unless they get a subsidy from Chase to make up for the "low" spending on airfare. That was the purpose of the PQD system -- DL (and then UA and AA) were trying to stop giving these expensive benefits to unprofitable customers. They're testing the waters to see what changes will be accepted and what changes won't.

The "no changes / first bag charge" fares were explicitly stated to be the first step toward TATL BE. This is the second. (As an aside, you can already tell the confusion they've engendered by calling two different things "BE."). If this doesn't depress bookings too much, they'll see what else they can manage.

You'll see these fares TPAC as well just as soon as UA believes they can get away with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.