Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Often1
What I do wonder about is how UA is handling its high-end corporate accounts. Many of those include the ability to substitute another passenger. Thus, when employee #1 is sick, employee #2 travels and the ticket is simply reissued in #2 's name. If that's the case for BE (or inflexible), would make it less of a bad business decision.
I would be shocked if this fare option is even available to high end Corporate accounts. In a previous life part of my job was managing corporate travel. We primarily used flight passes from AC which would allow us to book last minute travel for a flat rate (with a fixed $50 fee to change the ticket at anytime) and those flights were always ticketed at Flex or above (between discount and full fare Y). Businesses are wont give up an inch of flexibility on ticketing and the contracts they negotiate with the airlines represent significant deals for the likes of UA. Would UA even think about pulling this stunt in markets like NY or Chicago where companies could easily swap carriers to a rival?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by aacharya
This is not a BE fare.
One still gets seat assigned.
One still gets normal baggage allowance (elite).

All that is missed is ability to change flight and baggage allowance for non-elites.
For elites, aren't these fares essentially of no consequence? You get all the existing benefits (E+, miles/PQM/PQD, free bags). The ability to change is something you pay for anyway (higher fares --> more flexibility) and unless you're willing to pay for a W (or S if miles) you're not using a GPU anyway. It's not like the domestic economy basic fares . . .
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by username
I am a little confused by this - especially the no SDC and W and no-upgrade parts. I wonder if they had to do a lot of work to re-program the system(s) - you would think it was looking at only the class before. Now, the system(s) have to look at the fare class too? Also, I can just see agents getting confused and deny SDC/GPUs for US-originated W fares.
The time when booking class (fare class in UA speak) or first letter of the fare basis code could be used to assume anything about a fare is ending. It's been an issue on the UA domestic markets for some time already (premium cabin fares for example) and it's disappearing for INTL now as well.

The complete fare basis code is now the most useful instrument to quickly gauge key aspects of a fare.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Incidentally, ITA now defaults to the LGT fares as well when choosing the cheapest tickets, but makes no mention of baggage restrictions other than noting the fare is non-changeable.
Faring systems parse fare rules. The fare rules mention the non-changeable aspect. They do not mention the luggage restriction as fare rules never cover that. I'm not sure if there is any programmable way to look up luggage restriction. Seeing that OTA's struggle with this as well, it might be that this has to be hardcoded in the GDS.

Yes, the systems can no longer be optimized to look only for the booking code. They have to use the fare rules if they're going to handle things properly. But that's not just because of W. I fully expect UA to offer Light K and Normal K, Light L and Normal L, etc.
Exactly. Take a look at how LH codes intra-European fares (where it has to deal with a lot of LCC competition) to get an idea of where UA is going. Booking classes no longer mean anything with regards to flexibility or amenities, as 26 letters are simply insufficient. They do retain their function as inventory and price control tools.

And I'm not sure F and A are really freed up; UA continues to codeshare on LH flights that offer an F cabin. Unless you're suggesting that it's the retirement of domestic GF in particular that was the sticking point, which seems not-implausible.
F, along with J and Y, seem to be pretty "untouchable", and I don't expect F to be reused for anything that is not 3-cabin First class as long as there is a First Class product somewhere in the alliance. Other *A carriers that don't offer 3-cabin flights don't use F either. Additionally, the future may bring the return of INTL F, or even something like Premium Business, to UA one day, who knows.

Well, that's probably true. I don't look forward to having to explain how to figure out MileagePlus partner earnings once that happens... :/ "If you're flying OS, and the third letter of your fare basis is Q, but the last letter is N, use table 4 from the OS page, but..."
I expect revenue-based earning to be implemented all over the board.

Originally Posted by aacharya
All that is missed is ability to change flight and baggage allowance for non-elites.
... initially
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another part of the problem is that we can't really tell the fare rules of our reservations easily once it is done. They should really find a way to let us do that easily from Manage Reservations if using fare basis to determine travel rules (bags, SDC) is going to be the trend.

To anyone who thinks UA will stop here, think again. Full international basic economy probably will probably be next.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
For elites, aren't these fares essentially of no consequence? You get all the existing benefits (E+, miles/PQM/PQD, free bags). The ability to change is something you pay for anyway (higher fares --> more flexibility) and unless you're willing to pay for a W (or S if miles) you're not using a GPU anyway. It's not like the domestic economy basic fares . . .
There are no fare class restrictions on a miles+copay flight, and there will be a W-LGT fare for ex-Canada and ex-Europe itineraries. And, AFAIK, all other UA international fares are changeable, albeit usually with a fee. Consider the passenger who needs to fly from Madrid to North Bend, OR, on less than a week's notice. Suppose the lowest fare class available on his travel dates is W. I hope his plans are firm, because the non-refundable, non-changeable W-LGT fare for MAD-OTH, for travel from this Friday to next Friday, is a cool €1834. These aren't all deep discount fares that people would be willing just to throw away if plans change.

Originally Posted by mozilla
F, along with J and Y, seem to be pretty "untouchable", and I don't expect F to be reused for anything that is not 3-cabin First class as long as there is a First Class product somewhere in the alliance. Other *A carriers that don't offer 3-cabin flights don't use F either. Additionally, the future may bring the return of INTL F, or even something like Premium Business, to UA one day, who knows.
I tend to agree, although I believe findark pointed out another *A airline that's using F as an economy fare code. I can tell you one thing -- the first time I board a UA flight booked in "F" and trudge to the back of the plane would be a sad day.

Originally Posted by mozilla
I expect revenue-based earning to be implemented all over the board.
Sadly, this is probably true as well, although I can't come up with a reason that UA would have implemented the existing, hybrid system for partner flights if they had the ability to go 100% revenue-based.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For elites, aren't these fares essentially of no consequence?
I don't know what kind of fares you're buying, but my TPAC and TATLs pretty consistently cost over $1200. So let's do the math.
  • Regular economy ticket (Changeable with fee - assume $300, though that can vary): I'm able to salvage the equivalent of $900 in residual value ($1200 ticket value, less $300 in new money).
  • LGT fare (completely non-changeable): I lose the entire $1200 if I need to make a change.
So a $300 loss vs. a $1200 loss. I would say that's a pretty significant consequence.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
No complimentary upgrades -- actually I wonder if with the appearance of these fares ... will elites unwittingly buy into them thereby cutting down the CPU list?

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know what kind of fares you're buying, but my TPAC and TATLs pretty consistently cost over $1200. So let's do the math.
  • Regular economy ticket (Changeable with fee - assume $300, though that can vary): I'm able to salvage the equivalent of $900 in residual value ($1200 ticket value, less $300 in new money).
  • LGT fare (completely non-changeable): I lose the entire $1200 if I need to make a change.
So a $300 loss vs. a $1200 loss. I would say that's a pretty significant consequence.
Hmm, are you booking through a corporate TA or system such as Concur? IIRC most large companies have contracts where tickets can be voided and reissued in another person's name, or alternately the same person at a future date. I'm led to believe this happens despite the "lowest-cost economy" policy that often books into K, which isn't reflected in the fare rules on Concur anyway. Obviously since non-refundable ticket is being reissued, there must be some contract-hidden exception encoded into certain corporate tickets.

I doubt this affects corporate travelers all that much (other than perhaps lack of upgrades).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Polytonic
No complimentary upgrades -- actually I wonder if with the appearance of these fares ... will elites unwittingly buy into them thereby cutting down the CPU list?
Though the CPU would be only on the domestic portion of an international journey . . .
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I doubt this affects corporate travelers all that much (other than perhaps lack of upgrades).
On our contract, the -LGT fares remain completely nonrefundable and non-transferrable. We're suppressing them in Concur to prevent employees from booking them.

(Like you said, though, we are able to transfer changeable tickets to another employee.)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:01 pm

This is great news for Norwegian.
br2k likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, other ones I don't use often
This may have been answered already, but I've got a question related to Silver/CC perks and the new international no checked bag rules.

So I'm looking at flying to Budapest from SFO this fall with the outbound being UA/LX and the return on LH (booked through United). I know that the new "first bag charge" economy still gives a free checked bag for Premier Silver and credit card holders, so should be fine on the outbound. But on the return will I still get the free checked bag with LH, or will they try to charge me? I couldn't find what LH fare codes correspond to their new "economy light" fares.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp
But on the return will I still get the free checked bag with LH, or will they try to charge me? I couldn't find what LH fare codes correspond to their new "economy light" fares.
No. The fare's allowance is zero bags, so that's what LH will offer.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, other ones I don't use often
Originally Posted by findark
No. The fare's allowance is zero bags, so that's what LH will offer.
Thanks, that's what I worried about. Damn it, should have bought these a month ago...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
1K on Int'l Basic Economy?

I am a 1K and just booked a Basic Economy fare from Europe to SFO and back. The first leg is trafficked by Lufthansa and then we switch to a United plane. On the way home, it's United and then Lufthansa.

It shows up as a T fare class and tells me that I have to pay for baggage on the way out, but I don't have to pay for baggage on the way home (guessing it's because the outbound starts on a United plane and I get the normal baggage allowance as a 1K). Does anyone have any experience with the outbound - do I actually have to pay? I think it's the first leg is what Lufthansa calls Economy Light. Lufthansa's website says that for a grace period, they're allowing their Hon, Senator and *G members free baggage ... but I trust someone with first hand experience more.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 2018 at 12:36 pm Reason: Merged into -LGT thread
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lore
I am a 1K and just booked a Basic Economy fare from Europe to SFO and back. The first leg is trafficked by Lufthansa and then we switch to a United plane. On the way home, it's United and then Lufthansa. ....
UA does not offer BE for TATL (yet) which would book as an N fare and BE is not combinable with other fares or carriers. It is more like you have a "Light Economy" fare. While the lack of a free bag is common to BE and UA/LH's Light Economy, they are otherwise very different.

And yes LH will be strict on the bag allowance (While UA is just starting this, LH has been doing this for some time), more in When does UA.com book LH "Light" fares? What about awards? but these have just been continental europe and not TATL, are you sure this is appling to your TATL??

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 4, 2018 at 12:31 pm Reason: question - TATL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.