Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
The TATL -LGT Fares will be called Basic Economy Effective 12/11/2018, Additional Restrictions will Apply

Now even more ways to fly across the Atlantic
-- Atlantic Joint Venture offering with Air Canada and Lufthansa Group
New ways to fly across the Atlantic Effective June 5, 2018, United Airlines in line with Atlantic Joint Venture partners Air Canada and Lufthansa Group, will introduce a new fare option in select trans-Atlantic markets.

Created for our customers who may be more price-sensitive, these lowest-priced fares are the first step towards a Basic Economy product on trans-Atlantic United flights. The fare includes the same inflight experience as standard United Economy but with important restrictions that you'll want to review carefully before booking.
What is the new fare option?
For customers traveling between the United States or Canada and select European countries in specific lower Economy booking classes, the new fare option will not include a complimentary first checked baggage allowance, upgrades or the ability to make changes following purchase.
Customers purchasing this fare for travel ticketed and operated on United will be eligible for advance seat assignments, one standard carry-on bag and one personal item, and the same United Economy cabin experience and services, including dining options, Wi-Fi for purchase and inflight entertainment.

What date is the fare option applicable?
The fare option is applicable for first ticket and first travel date on or after June 5, 2018, for all points of sale. The first bag fee does not apply to tickets purchased before June 4, 2018
How is the fare option identified?
For all Atlantic joint venture carriers, the last 3 characters of the fare basis code will be -LGT, and the fare type code is ERU/EOU.
For point of origin U. S. the fare is planned for booking classes K , L and T.
For point of origin E.U. and Canada, the fare is planned for booking classes K, L, T, S and W. Booking classes are subject to change and may vary by route.
The fares will vary from market to market and depend on availability. Customers traveling between the U.S. or Canada and Europe will be able to see if this fare is available on their flight when booking.

What are the conditions of the new fare option?
The new fare has some important restrictions compared to a standard United Economy ticket:
• The fare does not include a free baggage allowance for checked baggage.
• The fare is non-refundable and non-changeable except as stated in the United 24-hour flexible booking policy.
• The fare cannot be combined with any other fare type.
• The fare is not eligible for upgrades to a premium cabin (complimentary, purchased or instrument).
Are there any exemptions from the first bag fee?
The following customers are exempt from the fee when checking in with United and traveling on United or United Express for the first segment of a trans-Atlantic itinerary:
• MileagePlus Premier members
• Chase MileagePlus cardholders
• Members of the U.S. military
• Star Alliance Gold members
Will earn 50% PQMs, 100% PQDs, RDMs, Lifetime miles and segment credit toward 4 UA segments needed for elite status
-- BE and TATL BE earns will be the same
BE uses N fares, TATL BE / -LGT can be a number of the lower discount economy fare classes
No changes -- dates, fare class, truly non-refundable ... and no upgrades
Other -LGT restrictions
Normal TATL fares include a free check bag -- -LGT fares do not for non-elites / non-credit card holders
No Premier seating benefits - i.e., no free Economy Plus

To aviod TATL BE fares
ITA Matrix
Originally Posted by jsloan
Use f !..-lgt for your extension codes to avoid TATL BE.
Google Flights -- select 1 Carry-on bag
related threads
United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ
Print Wikipost

TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
meh, these don't seem too bad. If I were buying fairly close in (e.g. right outside of the 14-day mark) for a situation where it's unlikely that my travel plans will change, I'd probably go for it. These seem to lack the especially punitive features of the Basic Economy fares.

The biggest problem I have with non-changeable international fares is that if something happens and you need to change mid-trip you get stuck in a situation where you have to buy a punitively priced one-way ticket home, or buy a new roundtrip to get home with the intention of throwing away the return.

Edited to add: Sadly, non-changeable international fares are not a *A innovation. There are an obnoxious number of them out there ... including a lot of business class fares ex-Japan that allow cancellation but not changes.

Last edited by Sykes; Jun 6, 2018 at 5:57 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by br2k
Regular Y fares are pretty much all non-changeable/non-refundable already (or for ridiculous fees).
Sorry to repeat myself, but traditional fares sold by US legacies are not nonchangeable. Sure a $300 change fee is high, but who in their right mind would not rather pay that than lose the full value of a $1500 TATL/TPAC fare?

I would have lost at least $4000 in UA fare value over the last twelve months if the tickets had been nonchangeable. Spend $900 in change fees, save $4000 in residual value. I'll happily take that over save $90 per ticket by buying a light fare, lose $4000 in residual value forever. Particularly since I have several credit cards which reimburse change fees up to $xxx.

Originally Posted by Sykes
The biggest problem I have with non-changeable international fares is that if something happens and you need to change mid-trip you get stuck in a situation where you have to buy a punitively priced one-way ticket home, or buy a new roundtrip to get home with the intention of throwing away the return.
Exactly. Why I would never buy one.

My schedule (including vacations) has to be flexible due to work. I know I'm not the only one around here who has that limitation.
Miggles likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry to repeat myself, but traditional fares sold by US legacies are not nonchangeable. Sure a $300 change fee is high, but who in their right mind would not rather pay that than lose the full value of a $1500 TATL/TPAC fare?
Well, it might just be me - I never paid more than $800 for a TATL/TPAC ticket (and, mostly, quite a bit less). I also buy them through OTAs that tack on their own change fees. So, in my use, change fees always exceed fare value and I treat them as non-changeable.

For those not as price sensitive (who are ready to pay substantially more for a ticket than UA change fee + OTA change fee + "fare difference") the non-LGT fares are still available, at some premium. But then again, these travelers were not shopping on a price in the first place, because if they were - as above, the prices they pay would be less than the change fees.

I do find it funny, though, that, for example for the Christmas-New Years season all of the expensive tickets to Europe on UA now have the "light" version, that's just as outrageously priced as the non-light one ($100 difference).

Also find it interesting that looking at Lufthansa site, for the same period of time all fares include checked bags. Guess they have not switched to the new fare standard yet.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:59 pm

Isn't it always "change fee plus fare difference". Which means that on a "changeable" fare you would still pay the fee and the difference between that and the new expensive fare, whatever available?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well, it might just be me - I never paid more than $800 for a TATL/TPAC ticket (and, mostly, quite a bit less). I also buy them through OTAs that tack on their own change fees. So, in my use, change fees always exceed fare value and I treat them as non-changeable.
Fair enough. Different model from mine.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Non-refundable tickets can often be changed --- you just need to pay the change fee. For international tickets, the residual ticket values can be quite high.

This kind of "No-change" tickets cannot be changed, literally. If you do not take the original flights you booked, you cannot get anything out of it --- just take it or lose it.
It is a massive difference. On a $1500 TATL ticket (for example), a loss of at least $1200 in residual value.
Urk. Okay that seems excessively punitive. I'm all for having to pay for baggage (or in my case, receive a "discount" for not checking bags) -- but not being able to pay and change a ticket hurts.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Isn't it always "change fee plus fare difference". Which means that on a "changeable" fare you would still pay the fee and the difference between that and the new expensive fare, whatever available?
Yes, but when you change a roundtrip ticket you still use a roundtrip fare, which is often massively different than the one-way fare that you'd have to pay if you didn't have the other half of the round-trip attached to it. For example, if you've already flown to London and need to change your flight back home to SFO, United's cheapest published one-way fare from LHR to SFO on 9/15 is a B fare at $1,972+taxes and fees ($2,323.91 one-way all-in).

Also important is that (on a normal Economy fare) once you've started a trip (flown the outbound), for United fares not only do you retain the pricing advantage of a roundtrip fare, but the advance purchase is measured from the ORIGINAL purchase date to original date of departure, so you will indeed have to pay the $300 change fee, but often the fare difference is fairly reasonable and is mostly dependent on available fare buckets (i.e. having to upfare from W to Q because W isn't available on the new flight).

Last edited by Sykes; Jun 6, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:16 pm

Yes, but when you change a roundtrip ticket you still use a roundtrip fare, which is often massively different than the one-way fare that you'd have to pay if you didn't have the other half of the round-trip attached to it. For example, if you've already flown to London and need to change your flight back home to SFO, United's cheapest published one-way fare from LHR to SFO on 9/15 is a B fare at $1,972+taxes and fees ($2,323.91 one-way all-in).
Have not had to do it with UA, TBH. The one time I tried to change a roundtrip fare, it was with Finnair, and the prices they quoted me for the return were on the same scale (many thou. $$$), and not really in line with any currently available fares, round-trip or one way. Perhaps UA was better in that regard before, in which case - unfortunate (for some customers anyway)

Flight search engines have not caught on yet. Kayak and GF both still show these UA fares as including a checked bag for free (so - a little surprise when going over to the UA site to buy). Not sure about Expedias and the like.

And yes, no SDC. This is from the UA disclaimer:
"Flight changes are not allowed, including advance and same-day changes, even for MileagePlus Premier® members."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 6, 2018 at 6:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Well, it might just be me - I never paid more than $800 for a TATL/TPAC ticket
Houston-Europe without SNS starts at $2500 and goes up from there.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
One can hope this reduces the number of people on an upgrade-eligible fare; either by enticing them to stay in coach with a lower price, or 'light'-ing the W fare ex-EU.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The latter is not technically an upgrade, it's a ticket change. These fares may preclude both. Don't have time to parse the fare rules right now.
It appears you can do this in two steps - buy up to Economy and then buy up to Business. Whether the fares make this logical remains to be seen.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
It appears you can do this in two steps - buy up to Economy and then buy up to Business. Whether the fares make this logical remains to be seen.
You will not be able to buy up to regular economy on these fares. No changes means no changes.

Within 24 hours of purchase, you may be able to do it. (Or, like BE, you may only be given the option to cancel). After that, forget it.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Houston-Europe without SNS starts at $2500 and goes up from there.
Even with SNS, IAH fares to Europe are insane.

Absent a fare sale, SFO is often $1400 or higher.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am a little confused by this - especially the no SDC and W and no-upgrade parts. I wonder if they had to do a lot of work to re-program the system(s) - you would think it was looking at only the class before. Now, the system(s) have to look at the fare class too? Also, I can just see agents getting confused and deny SDC/GPUs for US-originated W fares.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, if you look at this thread, you can find a couple of people looking at the light fare as a "discount," which is exactly what UA wants and likely not generally in line with reality, at least when compared to prices one week ago. The exact same thing happened when BE was first introduced.
Ultimately the pricing will be market shaped. My narrow point is a lot of folks that book vacations don’t change dates and this LGT fare code works with those parameters (especially for families with status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.