FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by br2k
Regular Y fares are pretty much all non-changeable/non-refundable already (or for ridiculous fees).
Sorry to repeat myself, but traditional fares sold by US legacies are not nonchangeable. Sure a $300 change fee is high, but who in their right mind would not rather pay that than lose the full value of a $1500 TATL/TPAC fare?

I would have lost at least $4000 in UA fare value over the last twelve months if the tickets had been nonchangeable. Spend $900 in change fees, save $4000 in residual value. I'll happily take that over save $90 per ticket by buying a light fare, lose $4000 in residual value forever. Particularly since I have several credit cards which reimburse change fees up to $xxx.

Originally Posted by Sykes
The biggest problem I have with non-changeable international fares is that if something happens and you need to change mid-trip you get stuck in a situation where you have to buy a punitively priced one-way ticket home, or buy a new roundtrip to get home with the intention of throwing away the return.
Exactly. Why I would never buy one.

My schedule (including vacations) has to be flexible due to work. I know I'm not the only one around here who has that limitation.