Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by XCstud
I searched for award tickes in F from OGG - IAH on Jun 26 and found one ticket that showed up as mixed cabin for 50k miles as a "Premiers Save" but when i select it, every segment is in Y and it shows up as "XN" if i select it to book it. Is this a common occurence? Any idea why none of the segments are showing up in F?
Each of the 3 50k options I see 1 of the segments in IN
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by cfischer
Each of the 3 50k options I see 1 of the segments in IN
I should have taken a screenshot earlier. I only see one option now at 50k but it is now showing two segments in IN and one in XN. This morning every segment was showing XN and none were IN. I was searching on the mobile app - not sure if that makes a difference.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XCstud
I should have taken a screenshot earlier. I only see one option now at 50k but it is now showing two segments in IN and one in XN. This morning every segment was showing XN and none were IN. I was searching on the mobile app - not sure if that makes a difference.
It's an app display issue. It'll display the inventory for whichever class it thinks you were searching for, regardless of what you clicked. So if it thought you were searching for Economy -- and it sometimes gets confused and thinks that even when you searched for Business -- it'll show XN when you view the details.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I am about to make an excursionist perk reservation for my wife and me. Does it matter whether I have CSP or CSR for the transfer of miles to supplement the miles in my United account? Does it matter whether we have the Explorer card? Is it preferred to make a single reservation for the two of us?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:21 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I am about to make an excursionist perk reservation for my wife and me. Does it matter whether I have CSP or CSR for the transfer of miles to supplement the miles in my United account? Does it matter whether we have the Explorer card? Is it preferred to make a single reservation for the two of us?
No difference except that a single reservation will help you get seats together for flights not offering early seat assignment.
SPN Lifer and vanillabean like this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Question...can you add the Excursionist Perk after travel has already started? I flew NA -> Japan and have a return back to NA. I'd like to add a Japan -> Japan segment (same region) but the website keeps pricing it out at 5K miles. Not sure if I can add this perk after I already started travel.

Thanks,
-RM
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Question...can you add the Excursionist Perk after travel has already started? I flew NA -> Japan and have a return back to NA. I'd like to add a Japan -> Japan segment (same region) but the website keeps pricing it out at 5K miles. Not sure if I can add this perk after I already started travel.

Thanks,
-RM
IME, the website will not allow you to do this. You might be able to convince an agent to do it. I'm not sure there's any specific, official guidance on it one way or the other.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Are there times throughout a week that there's more of a beneficial impact for award pricing being logged in than others?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Are there times throughout a week that there's more of a beneficial impact for award pricing being logged in than others?
not really
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:32 pm

I am trying to book award travel from LAX-CHC (through SFO) for next January. When I try to book one seat, I can get it for 100,000 miles (business); but when I try to book two seats, the miles required goes up to 250,000 each. According to the website, there are 9 JN seats available, but I gather that's not relevant for the number of miles it takes to get one? Is there any way to get around this problem, i.e., different outbounds from LAX to SFO, eg. or anything else? If we get one ticket at 100,000 and one at 250,000, what are the chances likely to be that another 100,000 seat will available? I've never traded in an award ticket, but is that hard to do? Thanks in advance for any guidance through this labyrinth.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by mmthomps
I am trying to book award travel from LAX-CHC (through SFO) for next January. When I try to book one seat, I can get it for 100,000 miles (business); but when I try to book two seats, the miles required goes up to 250,000 each. According to the website, there are 9 JN seats available, but I gather that's not relevant for the number of miles it takes to get one? Is there any way to get around this problem, i.e., different outbounds from LAX to SFO, eg. or anything else? If we get one ticket at 100,000 and one at 250,000, what are the chances likely to be that another 100,000 seat will available? I've never traded in an award ticket, but is that hard to do? Thanks in advance for any guidance through this labyrinth.
Assuming you are Gold or lower, the relevant fare bucket for you is I and you are describing a situation where there is I1 available. You will need to find a leg with I2 or greater to book both at the same time. Look in expert mode for just the TPAC leg.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:39 pm

Sorry, should have mentioned husband and I are currently both Platinum. Does that make a difference?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mmthomps
Sorry, should have mentioned husband and I are currently both Platinum. Does that make a difference?
Then IN is your relevant bucket.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:42 pm

Thanks. So, if I wanted to book two tickets, one at one fare and one at the other, do I have to book us separately?

Last edited by mmthomps; Mar 4, 2024 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes. .
mmthomps likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.