Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:14 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Question regarding miles

requirement for one way business from Melbourne to SFO next feb 26.

i am tracking the availability for next Feb. some days require 250 k miles. Some 200. You cant count on Wed being 200. Sometimes its Tuesday and Friday. Any thoughts on what is driving this?Also sometimes the 200k days change to 250 after a week or. two

my wife has 200 k. I am short and waiting fir the 60000 credit from new xplorer card. Hoping I dont have to buy miles
I've often burned 250K between MEL and SFO as this is a route I fly often. Its all supply and demand and awards are all dynamic in nature. The other thing I would caution you on is that by Feb 26 next year, dont expect the redemption level of 200K or 250K to be there - they could be higher!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Thanks. 200 k some days now first week in Feb

Originally Posted by eightblack
I've often burned 250K between MEL and SFO as this is a route I fly often. Its all supply and demand and awards are all dynamic in nature. The other thing I would caution you on is that by Feb 26 next year, dont expect the redemption level of 200K or 250K to be there - they could be higher!
hoping it stays that way so We can book in about two weeks. But nothing would surprise me.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mmthomps
requirement for one way business from Melbourne to SFO next feb 26.

i am tracking the availability for next Feb. some days require 250 k miles. Some 200. You cant count on Wed being 200. Sometimes its Tuesday and Friday. Any thoughts on what is driving this?Also sometimes the 200k days change to 250 after a week or. two

my wife has 200 k. I am short and waiting fir the 60000 credit from new xplorer card. Hoping I dont have to buy miles..
So are you doing a search for two seats/tickets? I just booked my husband and me to New Zealand next February. Got one ticket for 100,000K. But I had to search for just one seat/ticket. Second ticket was more.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:54 pm

Searching only for one

So are you doing a search for two seats/tickets? I just booked my husband and me to New Zealand next February. Got one ticket for 100,000K. But I had to search for just one seat/ticket. Second ticket was more.
never seen 100 k. Our outgoingsfo to Auckland was 200 k each. In dec31
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
never seen 100 k. Our outgoingsfo to Auckland was 200 k each. In dec31
During XMAS/New Year holiday peak you would expect higher prices vs off peak in Feb
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This February there were a TON of 100k tickets to Australia, pretty much every day. Of course that doesn't mean the same will be true for 2025. I'd buy a 200k but keep looking for 100k options - they will probably start showing up closer in unless demand picks up a lot or UA cuts capacity.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:58 pm

We wanted to go jan1-5 but dec 31 was 200 while those dates were 250
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:43 pm

This February there were a TON of 100k tickets to Australia, pretty much every day. Of course that doesn't mean the same will be true for 2025. I'd buy a 200k but keep looking for 100k options - they will probably start showing up closer in unless demand picks up a lot or UA cuts capacity.
What's the process for "trading in" a 200K, say, ticket for a 100K? Call an agent? Book the 100K ticket if it comes up, and then cancel the 200K? I'm hoping to do just this, but don't want to do something that would cause me to lose the ticket that I do have. TIA
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Book the 100K ticket if it comes up, and then cancel the 200K? I'm hoping to do just this, but don't want to do something that would cause me to lose the ticket that I do have. TIA
If you have sufficient points, this is, by far, the best way to do it. Cancel the original ticket once the new one is confirmed (you have a ticket number, not just a confirmation number).

This is also why you should book one-ways unless you're making use of the Excursionist Perk -- because it's a lot easier to change a one-way than it is to change part of a round-trip.
nsx, SPN Lifer, mmthomps and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:21 pm

If you have sufficient points, this is, by far, the best way to do it. Cancel the original ticket once the new one is confirmed (you have a ticket number, not just a confirmation number)
I have the points, should this scenario arise. But would I be able to book a ticket on the same flights I'm already ticketed for?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the points, should this scenario arise. But would I be able to book a ticket on the same flights I'm already ticketed for?
Yes -- although that scenario presents a problem if you allow it to persist, it won't cause any problems if you just do it long enough for the new reservation to ticket and then go in and cancel the old one.
mmthomps likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:32 pm

Got it; and thanks.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:13 pm

People book two seats for more room in coach. Maybe not the same in business.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People book two seats for more room in coach. Maybe not the same in business.
If you want to book an extra seat for more space, you can't book it in your own name, though. There's a specific procedure for that: How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights
SPN Lifer and mmthomps like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Just picked up SYD-SFO in Polaris for mid January 2025 at 100k miles. Had seen SYD-BNE-LAX for 110k miles in Polaris last week but really did not want to do the while domestic SYD-BNE connection and SYD-SFO was 250k miles last week.
SPN Lifer, mmthomps and ZenFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.