Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Apr 5, 2024, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm looking at some UA awards with one leg on EI and the second on UA, connecting in ORD. I haven't decided yet where I want to end up (BNA, LIT, STL, MSP, etc). But an inconsistency raised a curiosity. For an award, UA won't populate with a 1h5m connection in ORD, but for a revenue ticket, it will. I'm assuming the reason it works at all is bc of preclearance in DUB. Would calling UA make it possible to book an award with that 1h5m connection? (I realize there are so many reasons not to do a 1h, but I am curious.)
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm looking at some UA awards with one leg on EI and the second on UA, connecting in ORD. I haven't decided yet where I want to end up (BNA, LIT, STL, MSP, etc). But an inconsistency raised a curiosity. For an award, UA won't populate with a 1h5m connection in ORD, but for a revenue ticket, it will. I'm assuming the reason it works at all is bc of preclearance in DUB. ...
There is no difference in the MCT for a cash vs award flight.
D-D MCT for ORD is 50 minutes

Would calling UA make it possible to book an award with that 1h5m connection? (I realize there are so many reasons not to do a 1h, but I am curious.)
Is there award availability on the desired connecting flight?? Availability for cash flights and award flights can be very different

Try mutlicity to see if there are any system constraints. Also look beyond the first page of award options.

Awards flight selection is a bit of a black box but UA will tend to list the less expensive awards and all JN/YN may be deep in the list. X/XN awards will be listed first.while cash tickets will list shorter connects and lower price generally first
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no difference in the MCT for a cash vs award flight.
D-D MCT for ORD is 50 minutes

Is there award availability on the desired connecting flight?? Availability for cash flights and award flights can be very different

Try mutlicity to see if there are any system constraints. Also look beyond the first page of award options.

Awards flight selection is a bit of a black box but UA will tend to list the less expensive awards and all JN/YN may be deep in the list. X/XN awards will be listed first.while cash tickets will list shorter connects and lower price generally first
Good tips. When I do multi search FCO-DUB-ORD and then an ORD onwards it errors out after the first set.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 7:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
I sincerely hope that there was a specific redemption that drove this purchase end that you got good value out of it.

I suspect the reason that nobody knows the answer to your question is that, even with the 100% bonus, purchasing MileagePlus miles in bulk quantity is something that few people on the board will do. They depreciate in value extremely quickly, and even half-price it can still be difficult to find a redemption that provides substantial value over what you spent to acquire the miles.
Oh yes
Short notice trans pacific Polaris between AUS and USA is expensive, unless there is a sale on.
Booking short notice - close to departure - Polaris (and being flexible with round trip travel dates) using reduced number of miles, purchased at a reduce price can save up to 50% on the prevailing cash price! And yes, I've done the sums.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:57 am

Good tips. When I do multi search FCO-DUB-ORD and then an ORD onwards it errors out after the first set.
Here is an example when searching on UA: DUB-ORD-SLC on June 27. Connection time at ORD is 1h5m if choosing the later DUB-ORD flight (16:40) on EI. Business award available for both legs separately on EI+UA for June 27 but not as a whole ticket or multi city (errors). Rev tix are available (although only in economy). But what Im trying to figure out is why the connection time is an issue for award but not rev. There are other examples where the exact flights and class are available as rev but not award.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...MlFZPRICCAAiAA

Other days have the DUB-ORD-SLC if taking earlier DUB flight.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Here is an example when searching on UA: DUB-ORD-SLC on June 27. Connection time at ORD is 1h5m if choosing the later DUB-ORD flight (16:40) on EI. Business award available for both legs separately on EI+UA for June 27 but not as a whole ticket or multi city (errors). Rev tix are available (although only in economy). But what Im trying to figure out is why the connection time is an issue for award but not rev. There are other examples where the exact flights and class are available as rev but not award.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...MlFZPRICCAAiAA

Other days have the DUB-ORD-SLC if taking earlier DUB flight.
It is probably not the connect time. The award is simply not available. You don't need inventory for each flight separately, you need both segments available as a married segment. This is a common problem, unfortunately
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
It is probably not the connect time. The award is simply not available. You don't need inventory for each flight separately, you need both segments available as a married segment. This is a common problem, unfortunately
Right. But shouldnt I be able to book as multi city if they are available separately?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right. But shouldn’t I be able to book as multi city if they are available separately?
No, it will always try and re-validate this as a married segment. Nothing stops you from booking these as 2 separate tickets, but that has risks of course.
Have you tried calling? If you find a good agent ... could try a longsell with U-class on EI and XN class on the UA flight and see what happens
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:16 am

I now have a new question although maybe similar if itineraries can be married for some of the same routes at different times. 8/12 IAD-FRA-NAP award in J is showing up but only offering the later FRA-NAP. As multi city can select earlier flight with same route on LH. As I type this I am thinking the answer is that yes they can marry segments randomly. That seems like a lot of extra work for them tho.

No, it will always try and re-validate this as a married segment. Nothing stops you from booking these as 2 separate tickets, but that has risks of course.
Have you tried calling? If you find a good agent ... could try a longsell with U-class on EI and XN class on the UA flight and see what happens
Okay thats useful info. Makes sense it tries to revalidate. I didnt know that. Dont want to risk it with that amount of connection time. Still trying to figure out final destination too so maybe will work itself out. Havent called yet but may end up doing that bc now I have another issue (just asked above).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2024 at 11:39 am Reason: merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay thats useful info. Makes sense it tries to revalidate. I didnt know that. Dont want to risk it with that amount of connection time. Still trying to figure out final destination too so maybe will work itself out. Havent called yet but may end up doing that bc now I have another issue (just asked above).
The late ORD-SLC only has YN and JN available - these tend to not want to combine with some partner award flights. Could be interesting to see if IN would combine.

LH group has a ton of married segments - notorious problem, paid and award flights alike
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:27 am

The late ORD-SLC only has YN and JN available - these tend to not want to combine with some partner award flights. Could be interesting to see if IN would combine.

LH group has a ton of married segments - notorious problem, paid and award flights alike
Ah. Wasnt paying attention to the N part. I do have extra availability bc of cc. Thanks for your help. I go hours down these rabbit holes when Im avoiding yard work.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But what Im trying to figure out is why the connection time is an issue for award but not rev.
It isn't. However, what you're seeing is that UA knows that shorter stops are generally preferable, and therefore more valuable. So it's more likely to suppress them / increase the price.

No, it will always try and re-validate this as a married segment.
This isn't true. For paid tickets it's true in some cases -- notably LH group flights. But for award tickets, using multi-city search causes each search to be its own fare component. No married logic involved.

An agent will often be able to find awards in this particular case: when they are available individually on each leg and you're willing to pay the multi-city search premium.

As I type this I am thinking the answer is that yes they can marry segments randomly. That seems like a lot of extra work for them tho.
Their ability to marry segments together is essentially unlimited. I'm not sure how much extra work it is; I'm sure it's automated.

The late ORD-SLC only has YN and JN available - these tend to not want to combine with some partner award flights.
Agreed -- certain combinations don't seem to get returned in conjunction with long-haul partner flights.
SPN Lifer and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
It isn't. However, what you're seeing is that UA knows that shorter stops are generally preferable, and therefore more valuable. So it's more likely to suppress them / increase the price.

This isn't true. For paid tickets it's true in some cases -- notably LH group flights. But for award tickets, using multi-city search causes each search to be its own fare component. No married logic involved.

An agent will often be able to find awards in this particular case: when they are available individually on each leg and you're willing to pay the multi-city search premium.

Their ability to marry segments together is essentially unlimited. I'm not sure how much extra work it is; I'm sure it's automated.

Agreed -- certain combinations don't seem to get returned in conjunction with long-haul partner flights.
Thanks for all of this. It's become such a game to find workable routes with points. It can be fun but also exhausting. And I guess that's how they want it!
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all of this. It's become such a game to find workable routes with points. It can be fun but also exhausting. And I guess that's how they want it!
There is actually a lot of availability right now. Also check e.g. DUB-XXX for a cheap 6-8k coach mile segment and then XXX-SLC for 88k.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 1:39 pm

There is actually a lot of availability right now. Also check e.g. DUB-XXX for a cheap 6-8k coach mile segment and then XXX-SLC for 88k.
Yeah, I'm surprised by availability actually. My summer plans keep evolving with various family obligations so I'm trying to prepare for a few different routes. Mostly I was curious about what I thought was a mistake with the MCT in ORD. All of these explanations have been very helpful. I've currently got a coach ticket booked that I can live with, if I can't find something better (diff itinerary though). I really appreciate the help!
jsloan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.