Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.


Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}


Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jul 1, 2024, 10:01 am
  #496  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Programs: MilagePlus
Posts: 8
I have a question that is likely asked before but would appreciate if someone can help.

Found and booked saver award ticket for IAH-ZRH

IAH-DCA -EWR-ZRH. EWR ZRH is Polaris, domestic legs are YN.

Problem is I will have to leave 7:30 AM for first flight while EWR-ZRH is a 6:15 PM flight. IAH-EWR have almost hourly flights. So the question is will SDC work in making this 2 stopper award ticket to 1 stop and better connection ticket without significant miles requirements?
all one stopper showed me 155K Vs 80K for this 2 stopper at the time of booking.
Platinum , if that helps/matters,

Thanks!

kchaturv is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 10:20 am
  #497  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Posts: 908
Excursionist with mixed booking classes

Hello. I am looking at booking an award multi destination award with the outbound and excursionist flight in business. The excursionist flight booked into business with no additional mileage charges without issues with the inbound flight in economy..
If I book the outbound in economy and the inbound flight in business the excursionist flight booked in business but with mileage charges.

Must the outbound flight need to be booked in the same class as the "middle" excursionist flight?
Thanks
cagcag is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 10:31 am
  #498  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 27,015
Same fare class or lower of the preceiding flight.

So, for example:

LAX-LHR J
excuristionst perk: J/Y
return doesn't matter, must just end in same region as origin

but something like:

LAX-LHR Y
excurstionst perk: Y only
LHR-LAX J

Doesn't matter that return is in J. What matters is the preceding segment.
jsloan and cagcag like this.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 10:36 am
  #499  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Posts: 908
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Same fare class or lower of the preceiding flight.

So, for example:

LAX-LHR J
excuristionst perk: J/Y
return doesn't matter, must just end in same region as origin

but something like:

LAX-LHR Y
excurstionst perk: Y only
LHR-LAX J

Doesn't matter that return is in J. What matters is the preceding segment.

Thanks. This is what I have been experiencing.
cagcag is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:02 am
  #500  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 32,710
Originally Posted by cagcag
Thanks. This is what I have been experiencing.
Has always been that way. Not 100% intuitive, but at least consistent
jsloan and MatthewLAX like this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:05 am
  #501  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 32,710
Originally Posted by kchaturv
I have a question that is likely asked before but would appreciate if someone can help.

Found and booked saver award ticket for IAH-ZRH

IAH-DCA -EWR-ZRH. EWR ZRH is Polaris, domestic legs are YN.

Problem is I will have to leave 7:30 AM for first flight while EWR-ZRH is a 6:15 PM flight. IAH-EWR have almost hourly flights. So the question is will SDC work in making this 2 stopper award ticket to 1 stop and better connection ticket without significant miles requirements?
all one stopper showed me 155K Vs 80K for this 2 stopper at the time of booking.
Platinum , if that helps/matters,

Thanks!
Some of this doesn't make sense. 80k would require the domestic legs to be in X or XN class, not in YN.

Irrespective, yes, you can SDC with award tickets. X or XN (or YN, if that is what you have) will need to be available. With that TATL segment in IN you will most likely have to call to make that SDC work.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:36 am
  #502  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Programs: MilagePlus
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by cfischer
Some of this doesn't make sense. 80k would require the domestic legs to be in X or XN class, not in YN.

Irrespective, yes, you can SDC with award tickets. X or XN (or YN, if that is what you have) will need to be available. With that TATL segment in IN you will most likely have to call to make that SDC work.
I thought that it would be XN and IN but that is what the ticket says..

Flight 1 of 3 UA698
Class: United Economy (YN) Thu, Jul 11, 2024
Thu, Jul 11, 2024 07:30 AM
11:32 AM Houston, TX, US (IAH)
Washington, DC, US (DCA) Flight 2 of 3 UA4411
Class: United Economy (YN) Thu, Jul 11, 2024
Thu, Jul 11, 2024 02:00 PM
03:22 PM Washington, DC, US (DCA)
New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR) Flight Operated by GOJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS. Flight 3 of 3 UA134
Class: United Polaris business (JN) Thu, Jul 11, 2024
Fri, Jul 12, 2024 06:15 PM
08:15 AM New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR)
Zürich, CH (ZRH) Confirmation Number: xxxxxx






Last edited by l etoile; Jul 1, 2024 at 12:55 pm
kchaturv is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 11:59 am
  #503  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Chicago
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 674
Originally Posted by kchaturv
I thought that it would be XN and IN but that is what the ticket says..

Flight 1 of 3 UA698
Class: United Economy (YN) Thu, Jul 11, 2024
Thu, Jul 11, 2024 07:30 AM
11:32 AM Houston, TX, US (IAH)
Washington, DC, US (DCA) Flight 2 of 3 UA4411
Class: United Economy (YN) Thu, Jul 11, 2024
Thu, Jul 11, 2024 02:00 PM
03:22 PM Washington, DC, US (DCA)
New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR) Flight Operated by GOJET AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS. Flight 3 of 3 UA134
Class: United Polaris business (JN) Thu, Jul 11, 2024
Fri, Jul 12, 2024 06:15 PM
08:15 AM New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR)
Zürich, CH (ZRH) Confirmation Number:
this is an everyday award in JN/YN as opposed to saver in IN/I/XN/X. either this is a mispriced everyday award at 80k or the dynamic pricing is going crazy cuz the load is close to nonexistent
leftysauce is online now  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 12:15 pm
  #504  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 32,710
Originally Posted by leftysauce
this is an everyday award in JN/YN as opposed to saver in IN/I/XN/X. either this is a mispriced everyday award at 80k or the dynamic pricing is going crazy cuz the load is close to nonexistent
Yeah, I'd like some JN awards for 80k please !!! IM me ... day or night

Since the OP has a YN/JN award an SDC for IAH-EWR should be a piece of cake - probably still needs a phonecall w/ that JN TATL segment
jsloan likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 1:48 pm
  #505  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Programs: MilagePlus
Posts: 8
yeah no clue how that happened, its probably because of the history of this booking. Was trying to book it via ORD 2 days ago and system crapped on me ( its a 4 PAX booking). I called the agent and gave them the card id where the system crashed. She checked and told me that the fare is gone but there is availability on LX 9 out of ORD. She did some magic, and booked me LX 9 for 80K Vs 88K as norma for partner flights.
Today I saw this routing showing for 80K and called to change ( because 800PQP is better than 87 PQP .. she changed it and this is what I have.. so I think YN/JN was when the last agent booked me on LX doing whatever she did!.

Anyway thanks for the replies, hopefully SDC works!
kchaturv is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2024, 4:11 pm
  #506  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Delaware
Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Posts: 1,429
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Same day change or standby at either LAX or SFO is your best option without paying an extra arm and leg (miles). Good luck.
That's the issue - right now HNL-PNI is 400k each way per person in J, while EWR/PHL-PNI can be found for 200k each way per person. Also, for the return trip, a full GUM-EWR/PHL, UA155 isn't even showing as an option.

Anyway, thanks for the help all.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by phkc070408; Jul 3, 2024 at 4:22 am
phkc070408 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.