Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!

As per TPG. Looks like there will be mild increases in miles redemption for J & F on certain routes.
For UA redemption, these areas are increasing by 2.5k - 20k more miles.
(South South America, Europe, Central Asia, South Asia, North Asia, Japan, Oceania, Australia/New Zealand)
Partner redemptions have similar increases...
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

*edit: changed wording

*edit2: The mile increase seems reasonable but the worry is possible reduction of saver awards availability. The new "everyday awards" seems to hint towards the eventual goal of fixed value redemptions.

Last edited by oopl; Jul 1, 2017 at 11:02 am
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oopl
...Looks like there will be mild increases in redemption of J & F...
You need to word this better - you mean "mild increases in redemption points needed for J & F".
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
ouch!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
At least they gave us advanced warning but boy Kirby has been working fast to implement the worst customer policies he implemented at AA.

I find this a rather galling move since their reputation is the worst of the three at the moment (not to mention their PR disasters) and IMO, the MP program is the only thing they currently have a clear advantage on against the other 2 legacies.

On the other hand they've now made TATL J partners seem more reasonable again (60 vs. 70 instead of 57.5 vs. 70) which seems like an odd move.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You need to word this better - you mean "mild increases in redemption points needed for J & F".
Of course. Because why wouldn't United devalue MileagePlus right in the middle of one of their worst PR phases in years. Keep it up, guys!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Is this a rumor or has it been announced by UA?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Its announced. http://mileageplusupdates.com/
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Thanks, I put that in the wiki.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:51 am

I just wish they would be honest with this stuff.

Youll notice that some routes will have pricing changes, including lower prices for most short-haul intra-region Economy awards for regions outside of the U.S., such as flights within Europe.
"You'll notice that we have increased many prices. What are you going to do? Switch to AA or DL? Or was there some other legacy carrier you had in mind to accrue miles with instead? Ha ha ha ha ha."
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
From what I can see, Y awards are unaffected, but premium class awards have been hit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:56 am

Good for Europe bound economy travelers. Not only is there no deval of the usual 30k Econ saver fare but they're cutting the redemption cost for short haul direct partner flights

This is great because in the off season you can score cheap flights to competitive hubs like FRA for $500-$600 RT then can grab a cheap award on LH. Via UA award booking.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

New award chart is here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/images...ward-Chart.pdf.

Also, $125 redeposit fee if you do not cancel an award by departure time. Applies to ALL members, including elites.

ETA: Anyone have the old/current UA award chart? Looks like it was pulled offline.
ETA2: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This is the most troubling thing I see. This is the first step to dynamic pricing and the AA/DL model of no Saver availability ever and highly dynamic price levels for everything else.

Everything else while frustrating is fine, this to me though is a big red flag. It also devalues standard awards which do provide some value especially when trying to book 1 cash ticket (paid by work or other) and 1 award and you need to be on the same flights.

Get ready for Everyday Awards

We’re introducing Everyday Awards, an award with pricing that will vary from flight to flight. Everyday Awards will replace Standard Awards for all award travel booked on or after November 1, 2017.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, $125 redeposit fee if you do not cancel an award by departure time. Applies to ALL members, including elites.
https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/880469913399439361
Brutal.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
it looks like it could've been a lot worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.