Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Great find!
ZenFlyer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
When I book awards usually tickets in minutes. Have AKL-SIN-DPS which has been processing for 48 hours. SQ flights waiting for confirmation.
How long does UA wait for SQ to confirm before canceling? Any point on calling UA or will they say waiting for SQ? Presently traveling in Germany and not urgent.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zebranz
When I book awards usually tickets in minutes. Have AKL-SIN-DPS which has been processing for 48 hours. SQ flights waiting for confirmation.
How long does UA wait for SQ to confirm before canceling? Any point on calling UA or will they say waiting for SQ? Presently traveling in Germany and not urgent.
I’d definitely call at this point. No sense in waiting longer, won’t get better.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:29 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread. Feel free to move if I should be elsewhere.

I thought I could use United miles to book a flight on Air New Zealand, from NZ to Australia and back. But when I tried dummy dates on the United website it showed no flights available, that being after I checked the schedules on Air NZ. And same question on Virgin Australia, but there flights would be within Australia.

I found a two year old TPG article that said there was a glitch and it was going to be fixed soon. Not sure if soon has happened. Can I book these airlines with United miles, and how?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by dwcatty
I'm not sure if I'm in the right thread. Feel free to move if I should be elsewhere.

I thought I could use United miles to book a flight on Air New Zealand, from NZ to Australia and back. But when I tried dummy dates on the United website it showed no flights available, that being after I checked the schedules on Air NZ. And same question on Virgin Australia, but there flights would be within Australia.

I found a two year old TPG article that said there was a glitch and it was going to be fixed soon. Not sure if soon has happened. Can I book these airlines with United miles, and how?

Many thanks.
NZ needs to provide award availability to UA. Don't know about the glitch you speak of. Will.say that in the past I have picked up 086 tickets at a very reasonable price since there are numerous cross Tasman flights.

Waiting for a NZ award ticket using UA miles may be unlikely
Old Mar 19, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
I’d definitely call at this point. No sense in waiting longer, won’t get better.
Gave a call on Skype and was "stuck" and now ticketed. Good advice appreciated.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
NZ needs to provide award availability to UA. Don't know about the glitch you speak of. Will.say that in the past I have picked up 086 tickets at a very reasonable price since there are numerous cross Tasman flights.

Waiting for a NZ award ticket using UA miles may be unlikely
Found New Zealand (on UA and not Air NZ) flights now available. Just purchased Jan 25 LAS-ZQN using CX (Asia Miles) for return in Feb 25
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2024 at 1:45 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:13 pm

So, I just got one business award ticket from CHC-LAX--but realize I need to change the connecting flight from CHC-AKL. I have tried "change flight" several times, and it walks through me all the steps, but after I click "Buy Now" I get the message "

We are unable to process your request

Please try again later or contact united.com support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-800-396-1751; the U.K. at 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number.
My question is whether in fact I'll be able to make this change later; whether I can do so by calling in to United; or whether in fact I can't do what I want to do (leave the AKL-LAX flight, change only the connecting hop on NZ) and need instead to cancel the ticket. I don't want to cancel and rebook and risk losing the good fare/price I got. Any help?

Edited to add: the site also won't let me choose a seat on the flight to LAX. So maybe there's a glitch in the system at the moment?

Last edited by mmthomps; Mar 23, 2024 at 3:19 pm
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does new business class space existing for ALL segments now? It is dangerous and may error out if not. Changing an award ticket is really purchasing a replacement ticket.
If the partner segments exist, call UA to reuse you existing UA. space.
Also best if these are one-way tickets because changing any segments will try to re-ticket the entire trip.

Changing award tickets is not as easy as paid tickets because of inventory restrictions.

Generally not a good idea to do a partner change online, best to involve an agent.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:40 pm

It's a one way ticket. Award business class shows for all segments, just for more miles. So, better to call?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmthomps
It's a one way ticket. Award business class shows for all segments, just for more miles. So, better to call?
I would and ask if they have changed a partner award before.
Do you have enough miles to book a new trip and then cancel the old? That is an option.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:46 pm

I got the fare for 110,000K; now showing at 250,000K. If I cancel, does the 110,000 fare reappear on the website?

PS the partner award shows as Economy, not business.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:56 pm

I got the fare for 110,000K; now showing at 250,000K. If I cancel, does the 110,000 fare reappear on the website? ...
No and that is the problem the original saver inventory is gone and not rebookable for a change. This is going to be tricky but I think an agent can voluntary change the partner segment and retained the saver award. Be very clear on that

PS the partner award shows as Economy, not business.
Is that a change?

So you have two changes.

First do you really, really want to make this change?

If yes, you will need a very experienced agent, This can be done by a pro. but this is not a change for a novice.
nsx likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:02 pm

So far as I can tell, it was always NZ on Economy (X), United on Business (that's what shows on the ticket). Called the Premier Desk, and he said he couldn't do it. So I'm going to let it go for now. We may just be on separate flights to AKL.... Thanks for all the help.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Two question Melbourne to sfo in Feb 2025. Award ticket in business.

1. Why is Thursday departure always 200 k miles while Wed is 250k? One way

2. why are the airport taxes and fees $92 when using 200k but only $78 when using 250 k?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:09 am

Multicity excursion nnot working, why? Thank you!

4/25/2024 BKK HKG
4/27/2024 SZX PVG
5/1/2024 PVG SFO

1. Individually they all work. However, no results come up with the multicity search. Is there something I need to change with the search?

2. PVG to SFO is really expensive now. It used to be 300USD on economy and I couldn't find any ANA business on Virgin. Might need to get very lucky. AA has it for 35K+50 which might be the best redemption available though still not very good considering cash price is 800 with a shorter flight.

Thank you!

Last edited by yinxzon; Mar 27, 2024 at 11:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.