Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
AS fare within 10 days ex-HNL fare just jumped 300% (!) in matter of a few hours (that's on me for waiting), but UA still has reasonable fares for both cash and miles. The relevant question here does it matter if the award inventory bucket is X, and not XN?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
AS fare within 10 days ex-HNL fare just jumped 300% (!) in matter of a few hours (that's on me for waiting), but UA still has reasonable fares for both cash and miles. The relevant question here does it matter if the award inventory bucket is X, and not XN?
It may book you into XN anyway, if you're entitled to it, but it doesn't make any meaningful difference unless you're planning to SDC, and maybe even not then.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Repooc17 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
It may book you into XN anyway, if you're entitled to it, but it doesn't make any meaningful difference unless you're planning to SDC, and maybe even not then.
Thanks. Yeah, it's the SDC I am keen on. HNL to LAX nonstop is 25K YN, but HNL to LAX via SFO is 14.5K (X/XN). I would prefer to SDC to the nonstop if inventory is there.

I am no longer 1K but my understanding XN still works with Plat.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Yeah, it's the SDC I am keen on. HNL to LAX nonstop is 25K YN, but HNL to LAX via SFO is 14.5K (X/XN). I would prefer to SDC to the nonstop if inventory is there.

XN is available to any Premier, Silver or up. The thing is, if XN were to open but X were not, it'd probably be at the same / a similar price to what you're already seeing, so you may not need SDC -- you might be able to do a regular change. Hence, I wouldn't be worried about X or XN.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

You could also try to go standby on the nonstop if X / XN never becomes available. That is, of course, only useful if the nonstop leaves before the first flight of yur connecting itinerary
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:20 am

Dropping segment of UA award operated by A3, before or after the first leg

I have a UA award operated by A3, AMS-ATH-TLV.
Due to a schedule change, the ATH-TLV now gets in at an inconvenient time, so I have made a separate award booking on a different operator (LY) for ATH-TLV.

Ideally, I'd like to drop the ATH-TLV part of my UA award and reclaim the miles, but there's no award inventory available anymore, so I'm a little apprehensive of a CS messing up and accidentally cancelling the award. Is that concern warranted?
In addition, I have an unhealthy fear of unsecured connections - so what I'd really want to do is to cancel that second leg of the award (A3 ATH-TLV) _only after_ we've landed in ATH, and I'm see that I'll make my LY ATH-TLV flight.

Is this something that is doable? Or too risky to change?
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yitzc
Ideally, I'd like to drop the ATH-TLV part of my UA award and reclaim the miles, but there's no award inventory available anymore, so I'm a little apprehensive of a CS messing up and accidentally cancelling the award. Is that concern warranted?
Yes -- it's possible that the change could result in the award space being lost entirely.

Originally Posted by yitzc
so what I'd really want to do is to cancel that second leg of the award (A3 ATH-TLV) _only after_ we've landed in ATH, and I'm see that I'll make my LY ATH-TLV flight.

Is this something that is doable? Or too risky to change?
Once your flight has begun, you won't be able to make a voluntary change to the itinerary and get a refund of any miles.
1KChinito likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes -- it's possible that the change could result in the award space being lost entirely.

Once your flight has begun, you won't be able to make a voluntary change to the itinerary and get a refund of any miles.
Got it.
Then I guess I'll view it as sunk cost, don't want to mess with it now.

Thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, IHG Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
Originally Posted by boscobjgd
I've been trying to book a US-->EU-->EU long haul to short haul award ticket on LX/OS. When I click on it to book I get a pop up that the LX (long haul) flight is no longer available. Then when I search the next day or two the award doesn't show as available. Then when I search the next day or two after that it'll show as available but I get the same pop up when I try to book. This has been going on for several weeks. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on.
I am having exactly the same problem. If I select an Economy Class Saver Award, I get to the booking screen, but if I select a Business Class Saver Award I get a pop-up saying that a real-time availability check has determined that the flight is no longer available. But the flight still shows up on the list of available flights! I've tried this on 5 or 6 flights from the EU to the US, on LH, LX and OS. Could it be that LH is simply blocking Saver availability on all LG Group flights? Anyone have an idea?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2024 at 1:19 pm Reason: Formatting corrected
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by david7031
I am having exactly the same problem. If I select an Economy Class Saver Award, I get to the booking screen, but if I select a Business Class Saver Award I get a pop-up saying that a real-time availability check has determined that the flight is no longer available. But the flight still shows up on the list of available flights! I've tried this on 5 or 6 flights from the EU to the US, on LH, LX and OS. Could it be that LH is simply blocking Saver availability on all LG Group flights? Anyone have an idea?
Probably a married segment problem. Hard to know w/o seeing date/route. You can definitely find/book LH-group saver awards

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2024 at 1:20 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 5, 2024, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by david7031
Originally Posted by boscobjgd
I've been trying to book a US-->EU-->EU long haul to short haul award ticket on LX/OS. When I click on it to book I get a pop up that the LX (long haul) flight is no longer available. Then when I search the next day or two the award doesn't show as available. Then when I search the next day or two after that it'll show as available but I get the same pop up when I try to book. This has been going on for several weeks. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on.
I was looking for business awards on Star Alliance through United’s site. This kept happening to me. I thought I was doing something wrong since I’m not that knowledgeable with awards.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2024 at 1:23 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:57 pm

Change the Schedule of the Excursionist Perk Flight

Howdy, y'all.

I remember I used to be able to change the flight that's booked as the excursionist perk on the United website/app but somehow it no longer works. Do you guys have the same problem?

Note that I've flown the first flight. The excursionist perk flight and the last flight still remain in the booking. When I tried to change the date of the flight, it pops up an error that says "
We couldn't find an exact match" even though the new date has the award flight available. Same error if I tried to change the route. When I tried to cancel both remaining flights, it says "No Value" - meaning no miles will be redeposited.

Should I call United to make award flight changes in this case?

Thanks for reading.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travelingtrevor
... I remember I used to be able to change the flight that's booked as the excursionist perk on the United website/app .....
This has always been a risky thing to do if partner flights are involve (especially if they are no being chnaged). UA has tried to block some of the riskier cases.

A little more info could help provide feedback --- such as carriers involved for the excursion and non-excursion flights.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:08 pm

Thanks for the quick response, WineCountryUA.

First flight - UA (flown)
Second flight (Excursionist Perk) - UA
Third flight - Air New Zealand

It shows the same error when I tried to change the UA flight and the NZ flight. I remember I was able to change them before I flew the first flight on the website/app.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:29 am

UA114 PPT-SFO for May 2024

There were "last minute" availabilities for January and February 2024, but for the rest of the year and into 2025, there is not a single Saver availability (so, available for other *A programs) in Business Class.

For the specific date I'm looking for, Expertflyer shows J9 C9 D9 Z8 P3, but on the seatmap 37 out of 48 seats are already occupied.

Is there any hope that something will yet be opened up? I read that normally award space is released already +-1 year out, is there additional award space released "spontaneously" throughout the year?

If it is completely hopeless, then I would probably book an Economy cash fare and see if there is a reasonable upgrade offer to PE, and if not cancel again within the full refund 24 hour period and book Y with miles. (am I overlooking anything with that alternative plan?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.