Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.

Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
Opening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.”

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?

Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:24 am

Does it make any sense to enter LAX using Terminal 4 (American) to access pre check; and then go back to TBIT for *G lounge; and then take the walk to terminals (7/8)? This way you I assume you avoid TBIT chaos and the hectic security?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
... It’s about a 15 min brisk walk. ...
Doing the airside walk in 15 minutes is more at slow jog vs walking. 25-30 minutes for most health folks would be my estimate.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
.. However, keep in mind that TBIT doesn’t have precheck and lines can be long....
.If originating at LAX, better to clear at T4 PreCheck -- TBIT has insane lines for security. If transiting LAX, just stay airside.
Originally Posted by BerkeleyGoldschmidt
Does it make any sense to enter LAX using Terminal 4 (American) to access pre check ; and then go back to TBIT for *G lounge; and then take the walk to terminals (7/8)? This way you I assume you avoid TBIT chaos and the hectic security?
Yes
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Wink

Does it make any sense to enter LAX using Terminal 4 (American) to access pre check; and then go back to TBIT for *G lounge; and then take the walk to terminals (7/8)? This way you I assume you avoid TBIT chaos and the hectic security?
The walk back to TBIT from the T-4 security checkpoint is about 5 minutes, so you'll probably save time using PreCheck vs. waiting in the TBIT security line. When I have plenty of time for a visit to the *A lounge, I don't even bother assessing the TBIT security line first: I just have the shuttle driver drop me off at "American Airlines PreCheck."
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by SS255
The walk back to TBIT from the T-4 security checkpoint is about 5 minutes, so you'll probably save time using PreCheck vs. waiting in the TBIT security line. When I have plenty of time for a visit to the *A lounge, I don't even bother assessing the TBIT security line first: I just have the shuttle driver drop me off at "American Airlines PreCheck."

What about if you're connecting from one UA flight to another?

Can you stay airside all the way from Terminals 7/8 all the way to TBIT for the *A lounge and then back?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wco81

Can you stay airside all the way from Terminals 7/8 all the way to TBIT for the *A lounge and then back?
Yes (if you're arriving domestically on UA, not one of their international arrivals which dump you landside after immigration), it's just a bit of a hike so you need a decently long layover.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Doing the airside walk in 15 minutes is more at slow jog vs walking. 25-30 minutes for most health folks would be my estimate.
Indeed. I timed myself the other day at 18 mins walking fast, from lounge to Gate 77.
If departure gate is a Terminal 8, it might add another 3 - 5 minutes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA
This is what I do every time I go to LAX. There is an oft used security point in TBIT that is a little closer than T4 but I have Pre and don't want to take my laptop, shoes, belt off so I use T4.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81

Yes, but keep in mind you are burning 40-50 minutes walking at that point. I would probably pass if my connect in LAX were shorter than 2h30.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Indeed. I timed myself the other day at 18 mins walking fast, from lounge to Gate 77.
If departure gate is a Terminal 8, it might add another 3 - 5 minutes.
Concur. I clocked myself at 22 minutes (brisk walk) from T8.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:14 pm

Lounge Advice LAX?

Hey FTers,

I'll be flying through LAX in December enroute from SIN (on the notorious SIN -> LAX flight) and was wondering the best lounge option there (incoming and outgoing flights both appear to be in T7 but I heard I have airside access to the major terminals like TBIT). What's a good Star Alliance lounge to unwind there (I've got around 5 hours layover and have GE and Gold Track so immigration and security should be a breeze)? I'm also travelling through SFO and ORD but I take it UA Club is best bet ever since SQ closed their lounge a few years ago.

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2018 at 6:48 pm Reason: split post
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
At LAX, you have time for the airside hike to TBIT for the *A lounge to make sense.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2018 at 6:49 pm Reason: split post
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We have about 2h15m between SFO-LAX arriving in T7 and LAX-SYD boarding. I've got access to the UC, Alaska Boardroom, AC Maple Leaf Lounge, and Star Alliance Lounge in TBIT for all four of us (self, Mrs C, C Jr 1&2). I've never been to the Star Alliance Lounge before, but will get to experience that in July on another trip.

Is it worth schlepping everyone through the tunnels for what looks like a 15-20 minute walk, or should we just stick with the UC (incidentally, I haven't seen the "new" UC in LAX either)? Does conventional wisdom change if I factor in that Jr 1&2 will likely be peckish?
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cricketer
We have about 2h15m between SFO-LAX arriving in T7 and LAX-SYD boarding. I've got access to the UC, Alaska Boardroom, AC Maple Leaf Lounge, and Star Alliance Lounge in TBIT for all four of us (self, Mrs C, C Jr 1&2). I've never been to the Star Alliance Lounge before, but will get to experience that in July on another trip.

Is it worth schlepping everyone through the tunnels for what looks like a 15-20 minute walk, or should we just stick with the UC (incidentally, I haven't seen the "new" UC in LAX either)? Does conventional wisdom change if I factor in that Jr 1&2 will likely be peckish?
Personally I would likely just stick with the UC, but you're pretty near the boundary there in terms of time. I would actually balance it on whether you feel like stretching your legs while connecting - the trek to and from TBIT is something like two miles round trip.

The UC is actually a beautiful space, but the food is the usual disappointment.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The UC is actually a beautiful space, but the food is the usual disappointment.
Agreed. Food is a big disappointment and the options in the terminal are not great either.

But *A lounge is going to be a solid 20 minutes, possibly longer, with that crew. They do have a pretty nice spread usually.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by cricketer
The physical size, number of seats and food in MLL are worse than UC. Don’t bother.

To walk or not to walk the 1.6-2.0 miles depends on your carryons. It’s an easy walk if everything is on your back. Dragging wheels will slow you down. If the juniors can carry their stuff, the walk is still okay. If adults have to carry for them, don’t do this walk.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
To walk or not to walk the 1.6-2.0 miles depends on your carryons.
That is the RT distance.

There are multiple up/downs and you have to navigate traffic through two busy terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.