Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.

Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
Opening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?

Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81
Yes J NZ flight from AKL.

But would I have to exit security to reclaim my bags and then try to re-enter security?

I obviously wouldn't have a boarding pass for a TBIT departing flight.
TSA doesn't care what terminal your BP is for. But I agree that if you don't have all that much time, clearing security to probably get turned away from the lounge is not a great idea. I forget what the airside bus status is whether it's possible to get to T1 from TBIT but I think not.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by wco81
Yes J NZ flight from AKL.

But would I have to exit security to reclaim my bags and then try to re-enter security?

I obviously wouldn't have a boarding pass for a TBIT departing flight.
Wait, if you have checked bags and you're departing WN from T1, were you planning on checking those bags at T1 then go back to TBIT for a lounge visit (which is likely to be denied anyways) and then go back to T1 to catch your flight? With an added layer that T1 and TBIT are not connected airside and probably 20min walk.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Also adding, if you don't have TSA-Pre, the lines are typically huge at TBIT. If you do have it, the four times I've been through in the past year, there was no line at all. Assuming because it's an international terminal and TSA-Pre is for domestic flyers. I've always been flying United which is T7, but as stated above they don't care and you can access any terminal with a same day boarding pass. If they do ask, I let them know I'm hitting the lounge and doing some shopping.

But as stated, I also think you would be denied because you don't have a *A departure pass.

FYI - here's a photo I took of the line. Notice at the TSA-Pre line, the agent in blue is just standing there waiting for someone to come up. The other agent is at the belt doing nothing as no one is running through stuff for screening.

Last edited by tstauck; Dec 5, 2019 at 3:28 pm Reason: add photo
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by hirohito888
Wait, if you have checked bags and you're departing WN from T1, were you planning on checking those bags at T1 then go back to TBIT for a lounge visit (which is likely to be denied anyways) and then go back to T1 to catch your flight? With an added layer that T1 and TBIT are not connected airside and probably 20min walk.
Yeah I was entertaining it.

The NZ is a J saver award so I should be happy with it, 125k UR points transferred to VS to redeem it. Down side is I had to fly up from LAX to SJC on my own dime, so it's a bit of a hassle to transit through LAX.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Apologies tried to search for this but.....

If arriving LAX on domestic (F). same day departing on Air Tahiti Nui in premium economy, UC membership, GS (I know *A doesn't care!)....can I/we access *A Lounge in TBIT? If not, I guess its Korean Air Lounge via Priority Pass. Any other options?
Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Apologies tried to search for this but.....

If arriving LAX on domestic (F). same day departing on Air Tahiti Nui in premium economy, UC membership, GS (I know *A doesn't care!)....can I/we access *A Lounge in TBIT? If not, I guess its Korean Air Lounge via Priority Pass. Any other options?
Thanks!
If you are a UC member and arriving in LAX on UA you can access the UC. Other than that you're only option is the PP lounge at TBIT.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Thanks Ual7xxxxc!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Hi all, I'm a Delta Platinum with an expiring United Gold/Star Alliance Elite Plus status and have one last domestic UA flight scheduled this month (SEA-LAX-LAS). I've had no issues accessing this lounge on domestic UA flights before and enjoy this spot greatly, despite the long trek from T7/8. This flight, however, is a mileage award ticket and I was curious if that prevents me from accessing the Star Alliance lounge in any way? I read the terms and conditions and didnt see anything to this effect but figured I'd check here to make sure. Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Hi all, I'm a Delta Platinum with an expiring United Gold/Star Alliance Elite Plus status and have one last domestic UA flight scheduled this month (SEA-LAX-LAS). I've had no issues accessing this lounge on domestic UA flights before and enjoy this spot greatly, despite the long trek from T7/8. This flight, however, is a mileage award ticket and I was curious if that prevents me from accessing the Star Alliance lounge in any way? I read the terms and conditions and didnt see anything to this effect but figured I'd check here to make sure. Thanks!
You will have access with mileage award ticket. Air Canada at T6 is another option if your connection time is not long enough.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You will have access with mileage award ticket. Air Canada at T6 is another option if your connection time is not long enough.
I've got about 3 hours between flights, actually. Wasnt aware of the AC lounge option, though; thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I've got about 3 hours between flights, actually. Wasnt aware of the AC lounge option, though; thanks!
Beware AC Lounge is much smaller size and offers only limited snacks (e.g. not real meal), compared to *A Lounge spread with much better food choices. Assuming 3 hours between flights, if you can manage the 20+ min walk each way to TBIT, you still have 60+ minutes to enjoy at *A Lounge.

Last edited by npei; Jan 8, 2020 at 11:46 pm
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Honestly I don't think TSA has ever paid attention to the terminal on the BP, just the airport code, date, and pre yea/nay + name match to ID
Not specific to PHX but I can tell you that I always have problems with TSA at LAX when after arriving at TBT from overseas I try to enter the AA terminal with an UA BP since I want to spend time at the *A lounge before trekking over to catch my UA connection.
TSA does pay attention and it always requires extensive negotiations to make it work.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Not specific to PHX but I can tell you that I always have problems with TSA at LAX when after arriving at TBT from overseas I try to enter the AA terminal with an UA BP since I want to spend time at the *A lounge before trekking over to catch my UA connection.
Why don't you just go through at TBIT rather than doing a loop through T4?

I've not had an issue at LAX since they opened up all terminals to all BPs.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why don't you just go through at TBIT rather than doing a loop through T4?

I've not had an issue at LAX since they opened up all terminals to all BPs.
Twice it wasn't open.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Quick note - flew from LAX for the first time since Jan, both AC lounge (MLL), and Alaska lounge in T6 are closed.

AC Lounge website said they were open at 5:30am - which isn't true - FYI.

UC in T7 is open.

Many concession stands and places like WolfGang Puck were open and appeared to be for drinks too. Sign said "order at the bar".
- Tom
riphamilton and cuthroat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.