Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.

Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
Opening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.”

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?

Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Hit this for the first time Thursday 7/5. A few comments:

- Place is gorgeous and worth the extra walk, especially if you have time. Good food and self pour bar, plus a normal staffed bar too. Photos below.

- Got dropped off directly from the Hertz bus at TBIT so that saved 1/2 of the walk. There is a TSA-Pre entrance there and there was no one in line at all! The normal security lines were huge.

- No issues scanning my UA domestic coach mobile boarding pass. I'm * Gold. Got a CPU at the gate back at United later on through

- Staff super helpful directing me to use the connector tunnel to get to T7 for UA.

- 17 min for me to T7, and I consider myself a fairly quick walker.

Tom

AceReport likes this.

Last edited by tstauck; Jul 7, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by tstauck
There is a TSA-Pre entrance there and there was no one in line at all! The normal security lines were huge.
There's a TSA-Pre entrance at TBIT?! What time did you arrive around, ish?

This is a game changer if this is true.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:29 pm

Consider Your Game Changed!

Originally Posted by laxmillenial

It absolutely is true per FT and the TSA's own website. Per their website it's open between the hours of 8 AM and midnight! One thing to keep in mind if you're a frequent flyer is that sometimes Business/First class security can be even faster than pre (esp if there's no queue). Star Alliance reports that their Gold Track security is only available on Terminal 7/8 but I'm unsure what the status is for OW and ST.

Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There's a TSA-Pre entrance at TBIT?! .....
Has been for awhile
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

But entering via T4 has always been an option, so not that much of a change
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
It absolutely is true per FT and the TSA's own website. Per their website it's open between the hours of 8 AM and midnight! One thing to keep in mind if you're a frequent flyer is that sometimes Business/First class security can be even faster than pre (esp if there's no queue). Star Alliance reports that their Gold Track security is only available on Terminal 7/8 but I'm unsure what the status is for OW and ST.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Has been for awhile
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/schedule

But entering via T4 has always been an option, so not that much of a change
Thanks!!! I've always avoided TBIT because I thought there was no pre-check and the normal queue at night is just atrocious. Maybe I'll try it out one day
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:54 pm

Thanks!!! I've always avoided TBIT because I thought there was no pre-check and the normal queue at night is just atrocious. Maybe I'll try it out one day
One thing to keep in mind is you're often not obligated to clear security at the terminal printed in your boarding pass. At most US airports TSA will wave you through so long as you have a same-day boarding pass departing from that airport (regardless of terminal). Depending on the airport, once you clear security it is often a quick walk/train/bus ride to the terminal you're after airside. In fact some FTers do this to access business lounges that aren't available in their departing terminal (i.e. *A lounge at TBIT).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC

Here's the photo, you can see the TSA-Pre line in the middle with no one (in fact look to the left and you'll see the security guy in blue just hanging out). The normal line is to the right and huge. I flew Thursday 7/5, at noon.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:23 pm

Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I took my chances and entered at TBIT last night at about 9:15. I hadn't read enough reports about Pre being open at all hours. I checked the TsA site in advance, and it did say that it was open from 9-10pm. The regular security line was huge, but there were only 2 people ahead of me in Pre. I guess the days of backtracking from T-4 are behind us.
cesco.g, Kacee and tstauck like this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Curious if anyone has tried or run into the following:

1. 1K/*G member
2. flying on an Aeroplan coach award operated by Air Canada, so my UA MP# may or may not be in the record or on the BP depending on whether or not the AC system lets me update the FF number at check-in which is currently set to the account of the Aeroplan member who issued the ticket
3. will have my 1K card with me

Can I get into the TBIT lounge with my AC BP plus my 1K/*G card assuming the AC BP still shows the Aeroplan account number of the person whose account was used to issue the ticket?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Can I get into the TBIT lounge with my AC BP plus my 1K/*G card assuming the AC BP still shows the Aeroplan account number of the person whose account was used to issue the ticket?
Your card should get you in. From *A rules:

You will need to present your boarding pass for a Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport. If your boarding pass does not carry the Star Alliance Gold indicator, you will need also to show your valid Star Alliance Gold card.
Lounge Access Rules
bocastephen likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:59 pm

What’s the landslde walk time?

Originally Posted by tapeguy
I am in the lounge right now, flying on a UA domestic ticket, no questions asked when I scanned my boarding pass, got right in.

Food much better than the UA lounge. Just remember it's about a 20min walk to UA terminal 7.
i have late flight from T7. Thinking I’ll just get there early, use TSA Pre at TBIT, enjoy the lounge and then exit and do land side walk to T7 clearing security via Clear and preCheck.

Is is that a significant savings over the 20 minute airside walk?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findmory
You might save a little bit of time; most likely, you would not The route isn't that much shorter. If you look at a map of LAX, the tunnel connects T4, T5, and T6 near their midpoints. So, basically, you're saving a walk halfway down terminal 6 and halfway up terminal 4. (You can see the tunnels in the United app -- pull up the LAX map and look at the Baggage Claim level). Even if there's no line for Clear / Pre, you still have to stop, show ID, get scanned, wait for the belt, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findmory
i have late flight from T7. Thinking I’ll just get there early, use TSA Pre at TBIT, enjoy the lounge and then exit and do land side walk to T7 clearing security via Clear and preCheck.

No, it will be slower.

And airside is more like 15 minutes if you're a fast walker.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Even if there's no line for Clear / Pre, you still have to stop, show ID, get scanned, wait for the belt, etc.
Even ignoring security, I don't think landside is any faster. The sidewalk in front of T4 in particular is a mess.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
And airside is more like 15 minutes if you're a fast walker.
Without bags (other than a backpack) it takes me 15 minutes from the UC to the *A lounge, and I know exactly where I'm going and I walk fast. Dragging a roller-bag adds at least a few minutes to that (depending on how busy the terminals are).

Land-side the walk is definitely faster, although not as much as you might think as it too can be very chaotic with peoples/bags/skycaps/etc cross/blocking/etc. By the time you add in the effort to actually get landside (which involves walking back through the security area), and then going through security the odds of it being faster are pretty much zero - although it will be a little shorter distance to walk (but not much).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.