Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
*A forum thread LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Copy from wiki of this thread for the airside directions between T7/8 and TBIT: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1612275-psa-upcoming-lax-facility-changes-26.html

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.

Operation hours from *A site as of August 28, 2021:
ďOpening hours and facility information may not be accurate due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are doing our best to keep it up to date.Ē

Opening hours

MON 09:00-01:00
TUE 09:00-01:00
WED 07:00-01:00
THU 07:00-01:00
FRI 09:00-01:00
SAT 07:00-01:00
SUN 07:00-01:00

For comments on the T7 UC, see New LAX T7 UC preview 28 Nov / opened 06 Dec 2016
Flying UA from LAX Terminal 7, lounge options if not eligible for UC?

Print Wikipost

Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cricketer
We have about 2h15m between SFO-LAX arriving in T7 and LAX-SYD boarding. I've got access to the UC, Alaska Boardroom, AC Maple Leaf Lounge, and Star Alliance Lounge in TBIT for all four of us (self, Mrs C, C Jr 1&2). I've never been to the Star Alliance Lounge before, but will get to experience that in July on another trip.

Is it worth schlepping everyone through the tunnels for what looks like a 15-20 minute walk, or should we just stick with the UC (incidentally, I haven't seen the "new" UC in LAX either)? Does conventional wisdom change if I factor in that Jr 1&2 will likely be peckish?
I had a similar question. I have a ~2:15 connection in LAX in a couple weeks (both flights will be T7/T8) and wondering if it's worth going to the *A lounge in TBIT. I've been to UA lounge 2-3 times this year alone and while it's a nice space I honestly think I'd rather take a walk and try something different. The food is peckish as best and my flight from IAH does not seem to be catered as a meal flight due to the awkward midday timing. Plus the last couple times I've been at LAX I've been flying AA so no access to the *A lounge, so I'm eager to check it out. It's just going to be me and probably a backpack so no mobility issues.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I had a similar question. I have a ~2:15 connection in LAX in a couple weeks (both flights will be T7/T8) and wondering if it's worth going to the *A lounge in TBIT. I've been to UA lounge 2-3 times this year alone and while it's a nice space I honestly think I'd rather take a walk and try something different. The food is peckish as best and my flight from IAH does not seem to be catered as a meal flight. Plus the last couple times I've been at LAX I've been flying AA so no access to the *A lounge, so I'm eager to check it out.
With that much time I would do it, and do go to the *A lounge. Nice space, great food (so much better than the UC), and like you I like the walk before I am going to be sitting down on a plane for a long time.

Just watch how long it takes you to walk there so you can pace yourself for the way back.

We have about 2h15m between SFO-LAX arriving in T7 and LAX-SYD boarding. I've got access to the UC, Alaska Boardroom, AC Maple Leaf Lounge, and Star Alliance Lounge in TBIT for all four of us (self, Mrs C, C Jr 1&2). I've never been to the Star Alliance Lounge before, but will get to experience that in July on another trip.

Is it worth schlepping everyone through the tunnels for what looks like a 15-20 minute walk, or should we just stick with the UC (incidentally, I haven't seen the "new" UC in LAX either)? Does conventional wisdom change if I factor in that Jr 1&2 will likely be peckish?
Seriously depends on the age of the kids and if they are hungry, do they get hangry? Remember it is there and back.

Kids under 12, probably not. Teens - yes, and it makes them stretch their legs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 25, 2018 at 8:58 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
With that much time I would do it, and do go to the *A lounge. Nice space, great food (so much better than the UC), and like you I like the walk before I am going to be sitting down on a plane for a long time. Just watch how long it takes you to walk there so you can pace yourself for the way back.
thanks! Yeah I have a decent idea of time traversing LAX. This year I've done flights in and out of the eagle's nest, the UC to TBIT for an AA flight, and the like. Every time I visit LAX I thank the heavens that IAH is my home airport
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Personally I would likely just stick with the UC, but you're pretty near the boundary there in terms of time. I would actually balance it on whether you feel like stretching your legs while connecting - the trek to and from TBIT is something like two miles round trip.

The UC is actually a beautiful space, but the food is the usual disappointment.
If it were me alone, I'd definitely be doing the walk. I'd enjoy the walk, and it'd be particularly welcome before a 15 hour flight. Not too worried about the food for myself - I'll be grabbing a bite at the SFO Polaris lounge, and then plan to eat on board and delay sleeping till about 3am PT or later.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed. Food is a big disappointment and the options in the terminal are not great either.

But *A lounge is going to be a solid 20 minutes, possibly longer, with that crew. They do have a pretty nice spread usually.
Originally Posted by HkCaGu

The physical size, number of seats and food in MLL are worse than UC. Donít bother.

To walk or not to walk the 1.6-2.0 miles depends on your carryons. Itís an easy walk if everything is on your back. Dragging wheels will slow you down. If the juniors can carry their stuff, the walk is still okay. If adults have to carry for them, donít do this walk.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Seriously depends on the age of the kids and if they are hungry, do they get hangry? Remember it is there and back.

Kids under 12, probably not. Teens - yes, and it makes them stretch their legs.
Kids are 11 & 8. They've aged out of hangry for the most part (for sure I'm doomed after saying that). They'll carry their own backpacks (with family, it's checked luggage, so nothing heavy on board), and would have no problem with the walk in principle, but from the descriptions, sounds like it'd be a solid 20 minutes for them, so non-trivial.

I'm possibly inclined to drop Mrs Cricketer and Jr 2 in the UC, and have Jr 1 and myself do the trek.

Thanks all for the advice and insight!
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
...the options in the terminal are not great either...
UA's best concourse food options are now in the terminal they abandoned - luckily, T6 is still a (relatively) short airside stroll away.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 25, 2018 at 8:59 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Or T5 with Lemonade - my preferred LAX non-lounge dining option.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA's best concourse food options are now in the terminal they abandoned - luckily, T6 is still a (relatively) short airside stroll away.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
If it were me alone, I'd definitely be doing the walk. I'd enjoy the walk, and it'd be particularly welcome before a 15 hour flight. Not too worried about the food for myself - I'll be grabbing a bite at the SFO Polaris lounge, and then plan to eat on board and delay sleeping till about 3am PT or later.

Kids are 11 & 8. They've aged out of hangry for the most part (for sure I'm doomed after saying that). They'll carry their own backpacks (with family, it's checked luggage, so nothing heavy on board), and would have no problem with the walk in principle, but from the descriptions, sounds like it'd be a solid 20 minutes for them, so non-trivial.

I'm possibly inclined to drop Mrs Cricketer and Jr 2 in the UC, and have Jr 1 and myself do the trek.

Thanks all for the advice and insight!
In the tunnels (T6->T5 andT5-> T4) there should be carts with a dedicated staffer on it who is available if you need a ride through the tunnel. Might be a way to minimize the 'long tunnel' walking and make it 7-8 minutes of actual walking.
tstauck likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
In the tunnels (T6->T5 andT5-> T4) there should be carts with a dedicated staffer on it who is available if you need a ride through the tunnel. Might be a way to minimize the 'long tunnel' walking and make it 7-8 minutes of actual walking.
I have seen that maybe once out of 3 or 4 times, have you found it more reliable?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I had a similar question. I have a ~2:15 connection in LAX in a couple weeks (both flights will be T7/T8) and wondering if it's worth going to the *A lounge in TBIT. ... so I'm eager to check it out. It's just going to be me and probably a backpack so no mobility issues.

It might end up as a mosey over there resulting as a trip in vain;

Star Alliance Lounge at Los Angeles International Airport
  • Access Eligibility: Departing F/J ticket on a Star Alliance carrier from TBIT, Star Alliance Gold member flying with any other ticket on a Star Alliance carrier departing from TBIT.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Two Bee

Star Alliance Lounge at Los Angeles International Airport
  • Access Eligibility: Departing F/J ticket on a Star Alliance carrier from TBIT, Star Alliance Gold member flying with any other ticket on a Star Alliance carrier departing from TBIT.
Where did you get that quote? The Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy page does not mention anything about requiring departure from TBIT for *Gold

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Never heard of that. Accessed numerous times based on a T7 departure.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have seen that maybe once out of 3 or 4 times, have you found it more reliable?
The T7->T6 ones are NEVER reliable and in my experience is often a resting point for contractors.

In the past 3 weeks, I've gone 4 times during the hours of 10AM-12PM and found the drivers there and driving the tunnels. I even suggested it to a family when they had a young child and were looking at the map going "wow this is going to be a long walk". They did in fact utilize it and beat me to the lounge
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Where did you get that quote? The Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy page does not mention anything about requiring departure from TBIT for *Gold

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy
LAST LINE
  • Access Eligibility: Departing F/J ticket on a Star Alliance carrier from TBIT, Star Alliance Gold member flying with any other ticket on a Star Alliance carrier departing from TBIT
https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/sta...s-inside-look/

BTW --- I really don't care, I'm just mentioning the abv info!!!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAST LINE
  • Access Eligibility: Departing F/J ticket on a Star Alliance carrier from TBIT, Star Alliance Gold member flying with any other ticket on a Star Alliance carrier departing from TBIT
I wouldn't consider loungebuddy any form of authority on this subject. Generally true, but not exactly correct.

In years of using the TBIT lounge with domestic UA flights, I have never had resistance. The only particular thing is needing to acknowledge with the agent that they won't call boarding for the UA flight, and that I should mind the time myself.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
LAST LINE

BTW --- I really don't care, I'm just mentioning the abv info!!!
Thanks, was just curious because I didnít see it on the star alliance page and thought I might have missed a paragraph somewhere

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.