Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks WineCountry. Perhaps a dunce question, but how exactly do you check for an upgrade after already being checked in?

I haven't had to worry about this before and I don't recall seeing upgrade offers on the app / online / kiosks after already having been checked in.
If you have the app: go to my reservations, select "More Options" or similar button (not the + button), scroll down. It lists things like SDC and upgrades if they're available (they don't always appear).

And keep rechecking regularly: as mentioned in a previous post of mine, the offer appeared about 1.5 hours before departure for an int'l flight (and disappeared quickly again), on other flights I see it from checkin until boarding time.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Babymule
This thread seems like a good place to ask this question. I took advantage a $169 upgrade after purchasing my ticket. So, my ticket still claims the original $350 price, but not the total $519 cost . My trip got postponed. When I go to change the ticket on line, I am not given credit for the $169 upgrade. I know I will have to pay a $200 change fee. Is the $169 upgrade fee lost? Any experience with this situation? (I'm assuming I will need to call, but curious if I need to prepare for a fight, or if United is good about this).
I haven't tried to do this, but unfortunately you are probably out of luck. Because the at-booking offer is structured as a fee, the additional value is not added to the ticket and therefore not part of the coupon when changing it. Especially if doing a change with the same O&D, a nice agent might pity you and comp the upgrade on the new flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Babymule
This thread seems like a good place to ask this question. I took advantage a $169 upgrade after purchasing my ticket. So, my ticket still claims the original $350 price, but not the total $519 cost . My trip got postponed. When I go to change the ticket on line, I am not given credit for the $169 upgrade. I know I will have to pay a $200 change fee. Is the $169 upgrade fee lost? Any experience with this situation? (I'm assuming I will need to call, but curious if I need to prepare for a fight, or if United is good about this).
Don't have a specific experience but if like E+ access fee, the upgrade may be refunded separately after the original flight has occurred. But it is definitively not added to the ticket price for future flight credit.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Unfortunately, the upgrade fee is nonrefundable.

Cabin upgrade fees are generally nonrefundable, but if a flight for which an upgrade fee has been paid is affected by a schedule change, cancellation or oversale, and you cannot be accommodated in United Global First℠, United First , United BusinessFirst or United Business on a later flight, you may request a refund of the fees paid for the upgrade using the Cabin Upgrade refund form.
Refunds

Originally Posted by findark
Especially if doing a change with the same O&D, a nice agent might pity you and comp the upgrade on the new flight.
I doubt it. That's just giving F inventory away.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, the upgrade fee is nonrefundable.
The same page also has essentially the same limitation on E+ access fees and those are refunded many times for voluntary changes. Wondering if the same applies to upgrade fees, I have never test that (or remember a case where a FT tested this). Not wildly hopeful but worth a try.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thanks WineCountry. Perhaps a dunce question, but how exactly do you check for an upgrade after already being checked in?

I haven't had to worry about this before and I don't recall seeing upgrade offers on the app / online / kiosks after already having been checked in.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I go to "change seats" and if there is an upgrade available it will show up then and there.
Originally Posted by televisor
If you have the app: go to my reservations, select "More Options" or similar button (not the + button), scroll down. It lists things like SDC and upgrades if they're available (they don't always appear).

And keep rechecking regularly: as mentioned in a previous post of mine, the offer appeared about 1.5 hours before departure for an int'l flight (and disappeared quickly again), on other flights I see it from checkin until boarding time.
Many thanks for the info and advice.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by megalab
ORD<->CUN
2x K/T fare
$139 each way/pp
Outbound had 7 F seats available at boarding. Flt was oversold (by 9!) so they filled F with op-ups.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Did you bite? I would have.
No, I don't value UA F nearly that much (not even for 3.5 hrs), and we were traveling with others and wanted to stay together. I did get "upgraded" one row forward to E+ after the doors closed to help FAs reunite some families.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
EWR-ORD on B763-I
XN (E-) -> domestic J (IPTE lie-flat)
$139 UFC on mobile app after auto check-in.
Declined. Instead, was "upgraded" to row 13, the E++ crew rest seats with extra recline, foot rests, and full domestic J service, because E- was full.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
SFO-IAH $199 (789 - to F) + IAH-LHR $829 (788 - to ZN) on mobile app through the check-in functionality. Had already checked in yesterday, but decided to take a look one more time this morning. Upgraded that puppy (nice way to hit 1MM).
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by bigboy
SFO-IAH $199 (789 - to F) + IAH-LHR $829 (788 - to ZN) on mobile app through the check-in functionality. Had already checked in yesterday, but decided to take a look one more time this morning. Upgraded that puppy (nice way to hit 1MM).
Do they recalculate the RDMs and MQMs based on the original ticket price plus the buy-up price?

Or do they still award based on the original ticket price?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:03 pm

EWR-ZRH
P Fare
$829 to GF in the app post-checkin/T-4h
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Warning on International upsell from B fare

OLCI BF upgrades generally don't come with higher cabin PQM premiums. The default is the standard 100% PQM. However, if you already have a Y or B fare that gives higher PQM's, you can actually get hurt by upgrading. In my case, my LHR-EWR B fare went to ZN which only gave me 100% PQM. I noticed and called in, and the agent got a supervisor to manually add the PQM's and PQS bonus for a B fare. Yet another reminder to check your activity after every flight.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Do they recalculate the RDMs and MQMs based on the original ticket price plus the buy-up price?

On another thread, there was discussion that it was based on how the ticket was changed. In looking at my email itinerary, the SFO-IAH fare basis was changed to F, and my PQM/PQS totals were suitably elevated. On my IAH-LHR, my ZN upgrade PQM/PQS totals were the same.

I just assume that I won't get a PQM/PQS bump doing upgrades within 24 hours, so the bump on the SFO-IAH leg was a pleasant surprise.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81

At purchase or OLCI ("TOD", "UFC", or "upgrade fee" - shows on receipt as "Premium Cabin Upgrade" as a fee line): PQD and RDM in accordance with original ticket; may or may not earn bonus PQM/PQS*.
Otherwise ("upfare", "PCU", "GG BUYUP" - shows on receipt as an Add/Collect "for the difference in fare"): all earnings are for the premium cabin based on the new ticket. New money is PQD/RDM earning.

*Usually it earns bonus if it books into a revenue bucket (F, A, C, D, Z, P). My theory (unsubstantiated) is that the fee upgrade will book into the lowest available inventory.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I haven't tried to do this, but unfortunately you are probably out of luck. Because the at-booking offer is structured as a fee, the additional value is not added to the ticket and therefore not part of the coupon when changing it. Especially if doing a change with the same O&D, a nice agent might pity you and comp the upgrade on the new flight.
Though I think you are out of luck on the whole, I've been able to do the same day changes with success. For example - buy a ticket in Q class, but upgrade at some point with whatever offer they have. I then generally end up in P or A. When I go to change my flight, I am still in that cabin. So, even though the upgrade is a fee, it puts me into a different fare class. Not only have I had luck changing flights on the same day (to the same cabin), but I also end up with the 2x PQMs.....even though the PQDs are not impacted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.