Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plc44
what route: IAH-AMS
original fare bucket: S
price offered: $481
PCU/UFC?: UFC
Where it was offered: Online

Accepted.
Great deal! How far out from the day of dept did you receive this offer?

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

ETA x2: I got it! For some reason, they had to downgrade my outbound leg (EWR-OSL) to K fare and then push me into P on the return. I guess it's a combination of GG Buyup + a downgrade in fare class?! Had no idea that was possible, but definitely feel like I lucked out. I paid the $800 to upgrade my wife...so basically did a miles + copay upgrade but saved all the miles for the two of us and will get twice the PQM. ^
Congrats to a steal deal!
Did the system actually process this or did you HUCA?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Congrats to a steal deal!
Did the system actually process this or did you HUCA?
I had to HUACA. A bit frustrating since the first time I was sitting on hold for at least 30 minutes.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
I believe there was another similar report where the buyup price includes implicitly reticketing another segment in a lower fare class.
That was me, and it was the same deal - K class one way, P class the other way, and it was done without telling me half my itinerary was being "downgraded" to a class ineligible for GPUs

It was fixed in the end, but it took some agent heroics to pull it off and preserve my GPU upgrades in the other direction.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Couple weeks late posting this, but got this earlier in the month...

UA693, ORD-MCO
Original Fare Class: L
Price Offered: $119 per ticket for 4 pax
Where: Website during a random check of the itinerary (return was ~$400 pp)

Took it. Almost as good as the $59 upgrade offer I got for a similar flight last December which required me to call in because it would not complete online.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I had a few nice buyups this week

IAD-LAX on 777 - $105 economy fare + $249 buyup into GF
LAX-IAD on 777 - $161 economy fare + $249 buyup into Business

5hr25 min in GF seat is worth $249 to me. Get some sleep
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite

Those are incredible deals! Great job!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
What's the record for the highest offer? I got a P fare SFO-NRT - they want $4639 to move me from BF to GF ... and another $4639 for the way back NRT-SFO. Despite my interest in trying out GF, I had to decline.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite

I also got the IAD-LAX buyup to 777 F, from an L fare, I think. Took it and booked into A.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:30 pm

One more for a nice buyup to GF, but SFO-IAD. I got the offer at booking, went from an L fare into A. Not quite the steal as the $249 mentioned above, but I wouldn't consider $299 bad either considering I have no status and would have to pay for Y+ any way.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
IAD-ORD U-Class. I took the $89 offer.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
IAH-MIA, K fare, offered $119 at check-in on the app, declined, CPU after boarding
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: UA PremExec
747 Domestic Purchased Upgrade

Just bought a ticket ORD-SFO next month. It is (a rarity) on an 747. After purchasing it offered upgrade to first for $199, which I grabbed (assuming it would be put me in business). Surprisingly, it put me in 2K. Quite a deal. This happened to me back in January, but I assumed it was a mistake/fluke.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
shhh.. Yes this is true. I've done it a few times on this route the last 2 months.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Well now I know how the first cabin has been so full. Once they right sized the first fares (only Full F for sale for domestic only, from what I saw) I thought the first cabin would be relatively empty. Now I get it.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Well now I know how the first cabin has been so full. Once they right sized the first fares (only Full F for sale for domestic only, from what I saw) I thought the first cabin would be relatively empty. Now I get it.
Depends on the flight - yesterday's 777 3 class flight from ORD to SFO never had F available at all for sale so I couldn't change to it (I was in an F fare via IAD to SFO and I couldn't get on that flight when mine had a mechanical delay). Annoying to say the least

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.