Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, you are likely to see a buy-up offer at OLCI. This sounds like East Coast TATL, which tends to be in the $500 to $1,000 range each way. It is not guaranteed however, so I would not count on it.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:40 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
It's IAH->LHR on 787.

There's plenty of availability on IAD flights, but I am coming from the Midwest and can't leave early enough to get out there... Poor planning on my part.

Good to know there's a possible buy up... Haven't had a ice cream sundae for a while . I can suffer in e+ if necessary I guess. Flew NRT to DEN on 787 e+ a couple years ago and somehow survived. It was the return flight though.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by evan248
June flight
752 lie flat
MCO-EWR
Originally a W fare.
Upon booking a pop-up offer showed up and offered $119 for the segment up there and $119 for the segment back. Took it.
And yes my mom has absolutely no status at all. I can see why the elites get pissed.
That's a fantastic deal... and a no-brainer for anyone that stumbles across it.

The one thing I keep close tabs on when I book my tickets is the difference in fare between Y and F .... often times, the disparity is very small... in the order of the OLCI buy-up price. I often times will take the initiative to simply buy first class outright than to wait to see what happens at OLCI or the battlefield.

This is not always the case, but often times, it is... and for this reason, I am buying first class (within pricing sanity, of course) outright more than 75% of the time booking personal tickets.

For instance, I just purchased DEN-AUS ... Option was $160 o.w. for economy or $260 for A .... though this extra $$ was right at the threshold for the distance flown, I went for it anyway.

Many times, I have seen the deltas between Y and F be around $130 for DEN-ORD / DEN-LAX / DEN-SFO ... pretty easy choice for me, as I get double PQM's, a nice seat, and usually a meal vs. a guaranteed (impossible to upgrade on these routes at the gate) seat in Y.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jjmoore
The one thing I keep close tabs on when I book my tickets is the difference in fare between Y and F .... often times, the disparity is very small... in the order of the OLCI buy-up price. I often times will take the initiative to simply buy first class outright than to wait to see what happens at OLCI or the battlefield.

This is not always the case, but often times, it is... and for this reason, I am buying first class (within pricing sanity, of course) outright more than 75% of the time booking personal tickets.
The numbers will usually match, more or less by design: A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
That's a fantastic deal... and a no-brainer for anyone that stumbles across it.

For instance, I just purchased DEN-AUS ... Option was $160 o.w. for economy or $260 for A .... though this extra $$ was right at the threshold for the distance flown, I went for it anyway.

Many times, I have seen the deltas between Y and F be around $130 for DEN-ORD / DEN-LAX / DEN-SFO ... pretty easy choice for me, as I get double PQM's, a nice seat, and usually a meal vs. a guaranteed (impossible to upgrade on these routes at the gate) seat in Y.
Yes it is. I originally had the W fare locked in for 3 days due to her not being sure if she wanted to go. When I purchased it the total was $595 RT. If I wanted to upgrade to first, the outright price at booking would have been $990. Or when I called into reservations they quoted me a price of $450 RT to upgrade to first and told me that they couldn't offer the $228 online price.
This also booked into A.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: Lm silver / MileagePlus / Aadvantage / Amex platinum / stargold points silver
Do I have a chance to get an offer to upg at OLCI if I purchased my ticket w/Lifemile

I will purchase next week a ticket with lifemiles to fly in UNITED, I have purchased before award flights with Mileage Plus and I have got offers to upgrade, do I have the change to get this offer if I purchased the flight with Lifemiles or at least to purchase Economy Plus.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by miranda.mario
I will purchase next week a ticket with lifemiles to fly in UNITED, I have purchased before award flights with Mileage Plus and I have got offers to upgrade, do I have the change to get this offer if I purchased the flight with Lifemiles or at least to purchase Economy Plus.
Yes you can manage your booking on the UA site, select an economy plus seat and pay for it. Occasionally there is also an offer to upgrade but usually at a silly (high) price
Old Apr 24, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
what route: ORD-SFO
original fare bucket: K
price offered: $768
PCU/UFC? PCU
Where it was offered: Online
Declined
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by megalab
what route: ORD-SFO
original fare bucket: K
price offered: $768
PCU/UFC? PCU
Declined
You can purchase a ticket in F class outright for less than $600 many times on this route (I did this 3 times this year). What a rip off.... especially if it was for a standard recliner 737/753/A320.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Just got the email for flights on 5/5 and 5/8:
IAD-MCO $731, K fare, 737-8, 8 seats available
MCO-IAD $618, W fare, 737-9, 4 seats available
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by gayste
Just got the email for flights on 5/5 and 5/8:
IAD-MCO $731, K fare, 737-8, 8 seats available
MCO-IAD $618, W fare, 737-9, 4 seats available
I would love to get my hands on whatever RM is smoking
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
what route: IAH-AMS
original fare bucket: S
price offered: $481
PCU/UFC?: UFC

Accepted.

Last edited by plc44; Apr 25, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
EWR-LHR
Fare: B
Cost: $2,411
Declined (6 weeks out)
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I found what feels like a mistake - $380 to upgrade a W fare to BF on LIS-EWR. Tried to snag it but kept getting an error...calling in now to see if I can still get it. That's a freakin' steal for a flight that is still in peak season (early September).

ETA: Being told that the fare was 'no longer valid' and that they could only offer it to me for $735. ...! I have 10 pending charges for $380 on my credit card now. Extremely frustrated and pissed off that there is literally no way they could push this through.

ETA x2: I got it! For some reason, they had to downgrade my outbound leg (EWR-OSL) to K fare and then push me into P on the return. I guess it's a combination of GG Buyup + a downgrade in fare class?! Had no idea that was possible, but definitely feel like I lucked out. I paid the $800 to upgrade my wife...so basically did a miles + copay upgrade but saved all the miles for the two of us and will get twice the PQM. ^

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Apr 25, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
ETA x2: I got it! For some reason, they had to downgrade my outbound leg (EWR-OSL) to K fare and then push me into P on the return. I guess it's a combination of GG Buyup + a downgrade in fare class?! Had no idea that was possible, but definitely feel like I lucked out. I paid the $800 to upgrade my wife...so basically did a miles + copay upgrade but saved all the miles for the two of us and will get twice the PQM. ^
I believe there was another similar report where the buyup price includes implicitly reticketing another segment in a lower fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.