Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Booked FLL-EWR-HKG/PVG-NRT-SFO-SEA...right after ticketing, went to the upgrade trip option to use my GPUs and was offered FLL-EWR-HKG for $587 (and the return for $2,200 but I ignored that).

Confused, I rubbed my eyes and cleared my head and looked again...and there it was. I was initially not going to do it because I don't want to add more cost to the trip, but after figuring I'm getting an extra 9,000 PQM out of the deal with the bonus plus 50% RDM, it made sense given it would cost more than $587 to buy enough transcons to equal that 9,000.

Booked me into P class on the outbound, and I checked my credit card to make sure the temp authorization was really $587 and not $5,870 or some other rude surprise....and there it is...my first international buy-up to BF.

Oddly, there is no P fare published on this route one-way...so not sure how the buy-up was computed.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
Long time viewer here but {first time poster}. I was wondering if anyone has seen an offer to Buy up to BF on an award ticket?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 29, 2016 at 8:28 pm Reason: inappropriate language
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
SFO-HND 2/25
C->F offered at ~ $1,200, declined.
F went out with 6 non-revs. (Which I am totally OK with, as that is a legitimate employee perk, IMHO.)

Several empty seats in C also.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by airline101
Long time viewer here but {first time poster}. I was wondering if anyone has seen an offer to Buy up to BF on an award ticket?
I asked about this on a BF award ticket and hoping for a buy-up to GF. It was relayed to me if there is space, you can be offered a buy up (in my case I was told it would be about 1kUSD).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 29, 2016 at 8:29 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Booked me into P class on the outbound, and I checked my credit card to make sure the temp authorization was really $587 and not $5,870 or some other rude surprise....and there it is...my first international buy-up to BF.

Oddly, there is no P fare published on this route one-way...so not sure how the buy-up was computed.
It seems to me like (deep) discount fares are only available as a round trip. Your fare may have been calculated as half of a r/t P fare.

And as this thread testifies, there is little logic to the calculations of upfare pricing.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes. In my experience, they tend to charge more for award tickets. For example, Economy Plus might be $50 on a paid ticket, but $90 on an award ticket. The buy-up to the higher cabin at OLCI could be $499 for a paid ticket, and an award ticket on the same flight could cost $999

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 29, 2016 at 8:30 pm Reason: updated quote to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
TOD (Thousands of Dollars)

EWR MCO weekend r/t three weeks from now ....

V Fare to First Class offered at $1,187
K Fare to First Class offered at $750

Is this a joke? Dummy booking shows (F/A) for purchase at $830 r/t.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by indo79
L Fare

Summer 2016
SFO-ORD one way ticket $181. At time of fare search result, United First (A) was $734.

Offered right after purchase: $199 to F. Took it as it was a Hawaii 777 so better F seats than normal, knowing that equipment can change anytime.

MM Gold, no miles flown on UA in 2015.
Just did something very similar. Booked a SFO-ORD roundtrip for April for $265, K fare, outbound leg in seat 53A on a 747. E+ was offered starting at $154.

Jaw dropped when I saw a $199 upsell on checkout. Pressed the button and bam, I'm in 1A with an A fare or something similar.

What is revenue management smoking? And can I have some?

(If it's interesting, I was a UA Platinum in a former life but I booked this under my SQ number, which is *S but nothing more.)
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by popoemt
I asked about this on a BF award ticket and hoping for a buy-up to GF. It was relayed to me if there is space, you can be offered a buy up (in my case I was told it would be about 1kUSD).
Well I called the help desk since I saw no offer online but I was told that I'm not able to do that on an award ticket. maybe isn't because I don't have status or something . I wont have status for a few more years since I'm not able to travel as much as I would like.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Upsells that process as "upgrades" rather than add/collect are not really based on an actual published premium fare. They will book into whatever is available.

Originally Posted by puls
Jaw dropped when I saw a $199 upsell on checkout. Pressed the button and bam, I'm in 1A with an A fare or something similar.

What is revenue management smoking? And can I have some?
Pretty normal. This would make sense based on the fare table if you weren't on the 744 and if you expect them to figure out how to make the upsell engine work differently for the 744 flight, well...

Well I called the help desk since I saw no offer online but I was told that I'm not able to do that on an award ticket. maybe isn't because I don't have status or something . I wont have status for a few more years since I'm not able to travel as much as I would like.
You can't directly use cash to upgrade an award ticket, so an agent will probably not be able to help. Status or no, you are likely (but not guaranteed) to see some sort of offer at OLCI.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:30 pm

Be vigilant about checking your CC account until the charge actually posts. The one and only time I bit on a buy up at purchase, the CC authorization was the same as the offer so I figured no problem. I checked a few days later and got the rude surprise - the actual amount charged was a few hundred dollars more than the authorization.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Upsells that process as "upgrades" rather than add/collect are not really based on an actual published premium fare. They will book into whatever is available....
Not exactly correct in my case....the ticket was reissued and went from nonrefundable to refundable (at least the outbound segments), so it's definitely a P class fare not an upgrade fee. I expect to get the miles bonuses associated with P flying in P class.

Originally Posted by BigJC
Be sure to keep checking your CC account. The one and only time I bit on a buy up at purchase, the CC authorization was the same as the offer. I checked a few days later and got the rude surprise - the actual amount charged was a few hundred dollars more than the authorization.
I did a screen shot of the authorization....idiotically I did not screenshot the offer...but if a different charge hits, there will a DOT complaint, refund of my upgrade and I'll just use a GPU.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 29, 2016 at 8:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not exactly correct in my case....the ticket was reissued and went from nonrefundable to refundable (at least the outbound segments), so it's definitely a P class fare not an upgrade fee. I expect to get the miles bonuses associated with P flying in P class.
Refundable? That's bizarre. I don't think there are refundable P fares on that route. Generally if an upsell like that gets a revenue booking code, it will earn the class of service bonus PQM (but no PQD for the upsell amount).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.....the ticket was reissued and went from nonrefundable to refundable (at least the outbound segments), ...
If any portion of the ticket is non-refundable the entire ticket is nonrefundable (the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire ticket). You can not have a ticket with mixed refundablity.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If any portion of the ticket is non-refundable the entire ticket is nonrefundable (the most restrictive fare rule applies to the entire ticket). You can not have a ticket with mixed refundablity.
Something is strange....it definitely said refundable on the screen, but when I bring up the receipt now, I can only see the original issue classes, not including the changes, but the reservation itself shows the new booking classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.