Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
App check in ORD-PVG (Chicago Shanghai), K fare offer is 1129. Do the price ever change? My travel policy is I can do it if it is less than $1000. Think closer to the flight it will drop if there are no takers?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by steveo
App check in ORD-PVG (Chicago Shanghai), K fare offer is 1129. Do the price ever change? My travel policy is I can do it if it is less than $1000. Think closer to the flight it will drop if there are no takers?
Best answer is it depends - I've seen it go both ways - depending on the loads and if others take it - if I were you I'd pay the difference ($129) between the two and take it now....
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Best answer is it depends - I've seen it go both ways - depending on the loads and if others take it - if I were you I'd pay the difference ($129) between the two and take it now....
That does seem like a good deal to upgrade to business for such a long flight. Could easily get much more expensive as flight gets closer.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
As written, the upsell offer is $1,129, not $129. $129 would be the bargain of two centuries for a route like that.

Originally Posted by steveo
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by 1kBill
As written, the upsell offer is $1,129, not $129. $129 would be the bargain of two centuries for a route like that.
I guess you missed my point - his employer will pay up to $1,000 to upgrade....
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I guess you missed my point - his employer will pay up to $1,000 to upgrade....
Yeah - this seems like a no-brainer...
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile $119 ufc @ olci den-ord

Purchased a V fare ticket ATL-LAS-ORD-ATL for $703, with the last segment (ORD-ATL) booking in T class. I was CPU'd on the ATL-IAH, IAH-LAS and ORD-ATL segments. When I checked in for the LAS-DEN-ORD I was offered an UFC for $119 for the DEN-ORD segment. I accepted it as I thought there would be tons of GS and 1K's ahead of me for the CPU.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I was rebooked HKG-SFO in full C after my initial flight cancelled and then when I tried to OLCI was offered Global First for $699.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kluau88
I was rebooked HKG-SFO in full C after my initial flight cancelled and then when I tried to OLCI was offered Global First for $699.
So did you take it? How was GF?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Many thanks to those (WinecountryUA, iluv2fly, and televisor) who assisted with my earlier questions.

After obsessively trying every method recommended, I did not find a great buy up offer. But when I approached the gate to get a seat assignment changed (trying to keep an open middle next to me) the agent checked and found a decent offer for what I believe was the last BF seat. Living large!

Now a question for the return. First leg is on Germanwings, so I don't see a way to check-in on United.com or the app. Is there any way to check for upgrade offers?

If I check in with Germanwings on-line now, will that trigger a check in with United and open up the upgrade offers?

Edit/Added: I tried to check in through Germanwings but I keep getting an error - "9005 - IATCHIThroughCheckIn" which I imagine means that on-line check in is not going to work with multi-carrier Intl itinerary.

Any recourse for me? Or do I just go the airport to check-in and not start checking for buy-ups until then?

Last edited by goodeats21; Jun 25, 2016 at 10:41 am Reason: Edit/Added
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Now a question for the return. First leg is on Germanwings, so I don't see a way to check-in on United.com or the app. Is there any way to check for upgrade offers?

If I check in with Germanwings on-line now, will that trigger a check in with United and open up the upgrade offers?

Edit/Added: I tried to check in through Germanwings but I keep getting an error - "9005 - IATCHIThroughCheckIn" which I imagine means that on-line check in is not going to work with multi-carrier Intl itinerary.

Any recourse for me? Or do I just go the airport to check-in and not start checking for buy-ups until then?
Germanwings is not *A and is not fully intregrated in the UA/*A system. However, you can only check in with the first carrier, you will not be able to use the UA app, ua,com or UA phone agents (or LH phone agents)

Bottomline (and personal experience) expect issues -- you may or may not get checked in for the UA flight (I did not). Hope you are not checking bags, no UA elite waivers, ...
You will likely not be able to do anything until you can get to an UA agent at the UA departure airport.

multiple threads on issues with 4U
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-benefits.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ua-ticket.html
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Well WineCountryUA, aren't you just full of good news. Thanks for the warnings.

I am checking one bag, but I am not going to stress over it. If they insist on charging me, I have my receipt which indicates the 1st check bag is free. Pretty easy to dispute / FAA complaint that.

I am more worried about your comment of not being checked in with United. I am Germanwings to LHR, then United onto IAD. I have 2hr, 15 min layover. I am assuming that the bag gets checked through so I don't have to worry about claiming and rechecking...right?

Unless you have even worse news, I would think 2 hours would be enough time to get to UC or gate and have agent check me in...right?

I am not as worried about an upgrade offer this time around for the day flight...though it would be nice.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well WineCountryUA, aren't you just full of good news. Thanks for the warnings. ...
I and others have found the 4U experience lacking

... I am checking one bag, but I am not going to stress over it. If they insist on charging me, I have my receipt which indicates the 1st check bag is free. Pretty easy to dispute / FAA complaint that. ...
Will not do you any good because it clear states that information is only valid when checking in with UA. So any elite waiver info is worthless but you should be OK with the standard economy 1 bag allowance, 4U is bound to the ticket rules, but not the elite waivers.

... I am more worried about your comment of not being checked in with United. I am Germanwings to LHR, then United onto IAD. I have 2hr, 15 min layover. I am assuming that the bag gets checked through so I don't have to worry about claiming and rechecking...right? ....
They seem to be able to check the bags thru but not generate the BP. The problem as you transit T2A/B there is a security check that requires the UA BP ... but they will take your bags chits also.
Unless you have even worse news, I would think 2 hours would be enough time to get to UC or gate and have agent check me in...right? ...
mine was 2:15 and had plenty of time to get breakfast at the LHR UC
...I am not as worried about an upgrade offer this time around for the day flight...though it would be nice.
I was awaiting a GPU that fortunately cleared on its own before boarding the 4U flight.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, so far things are going well. Arrived at the airport very early only to cruise through everything quickly. Now PLENTY of time to enjoy the LH lounge. Check-in agent even proactively asked if I wanted to be checked through for the entire trip...and out popped all my boarding passes.

I will not further derail this thread on 4U though, but thank you again for the info.

Interestingly, I am not seeing any indication on the UA app that I am checked in; and so no buy-up offers.

I will make contact with United ASAP at LHR to ensure I am actually checked in...and see about buy ups as well.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:43 am

Well, so far things are going well. Arrived at the airport very early only to cruise through everything quickly. Now PLENTY of time to enjoy the LH lounge. Check-in agent even proactively asked if I wanted to be checked through for the entire trip...and out popped all my boarding passes.

I will not further derail this thread on 4U though, but thank you again for the info.

Interestingly, I am not seeing any indication on the UA app that I am checked in; and so no buy-up offers.

I will make contact with United ASAP at LHR to ensure I am actually checked in...and see about buy ups as well.

Cheers.
My experience is that UA doesn't "see" you until you have flown the first leg - for example my mobile BP only appear on my app once I land in the city I'm connecting to UA on - for example FRA or LHR..... Perhaps I'll see you at LHR today - but I think you leave well before I do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.