Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baggage fee shakedown from Germanwings on UA ticket

Old May 5, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Flying EWR-LHR-TXL. Booked a long connection so I could spend the day in London. My boarding pass got a bit ragged in my pocket and the kiosk wouldn't recognize the barcode from the original to reprint and the wifi was being finicky so I just went to the desk instead of looking up the 4U confirmation code to enter.

I had checked in 3 bags in EWR as a 1K. The desk dragon wanted to charge me for 2 of the bags that are already in their possession and checked through. When I argued with her that they've already been interlined, she handed me th BP and told me to go to the 4U/LH ticket desk. They claimed "United put no bags in for your ticket" or some such nonsense and told me to go to the United desk, which was closed.

Since I have the BP, I just went past security and am in the senator lounge now.

If I hadn't wanted a new boarding pass or had decided to just stay in the transit zone, I doubt some random dragon would notice I had 3 bags checked in.

Just a shake down? Never had a problem like this during other UA to 4U connections when arriving on UA the same day.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Flying EWR-LHR-TXL. Booked a long connection so I could spend the day in London. My boarding pass got a bit ragged in my pocket and the kiosk wouldn't recognize the barcode from the original to reprint and the wifi was being finicky so I just went to the desk instead of looking up the 4U confirmation code to enter.

I had checked in 3 bags in EWR as a 1K. The desk dragon wanted to charge me for 2 of the bags that are already in their possession and checked through. When I argued with her that they've already been interlined, she handed me th BP and told me to go to the 4U/LH ticket desk. They claimed "United put no bags in for your ticket" or some such nonsense and told me to go to the United desk, which was closed.

Since I have the BP, I just went past security and am in the senator lounge now.

If I hadn't wanted a new boarding pass or had decided to just stay in the transit zone, I doubt some random dragon would notice I had 3 bags checked in.

Just a shake down?
Not the most informative with this but, when you check a bag..don't you get a bar code sticker for each bag. Mostly used for claiming a lost bag? I would of shown those as proof of purchase.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I have the baggage tags from United but they were trying to say a different allowance applies for this segment even though they already have the bags.

FWIW, Border Force also marked my entry stamp as being In-Transit, so denying me boarding could get messy, because I do not wish to seek re-entry to the UK.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:42 am

If EWR-LHR was the first leg on your *ticket*, the baggage rules of the first marketing carrier apply for the entire trip (US DOT Regulation 14 CFR 399.87).

How to explain that to a Eurowings dragon I cannot say. Good luck.

However, you could still file a complaint with the DoT after the fact. I hear good things about these complaint processes.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, I have the baggage tags from United but they were trying to say a different allowance applies for this segment even though they already have the bags.
Sounds like you got a misinformed or lying agent. Who did they work for? LH? 4U? LHR? Sorry to hear about that.

I'd suggest that if someone asks you to pay additional money your checked bags (seems unlikely) you pay with a credit card, perhaps indicate on the signature slip that you're signing under duress, then dispute the charge.

I once successfully disputed a charge with Meridiana on a MXP-LGW sector where their e-ticket itinerary receipt and documents they sent us after purchase said checked bags would carry a certain fee, and they tried to charge a higher (2x) fee at the airport saying "you needed to check in advance to get the lower rate". I paid, then immediately disputed the charge with Chase and supplied the document the airline had sent at purchase time explaining the bag fee I had been quoted in advance. It was no problem.

In this case, if you have any document at all from UA explaining your expected checked bag fee, that should be sufficient for a chargeback to work in the unlikely event that someone asks you to pay again for your bag that's already in transit.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Flying EWR-LHR-TXL. .....

I had checked in 3 bags in EWR as a 1K. ....
Will warn you that on if checking-in with 4U on the return you will likely not get the 1K bag allowance.
4U is not *A.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sokolov
If EWR-LHR was the first leg on your *ticket*, the baggage rules of the first marketing carrier apply for the entire trip (US DOT Regulation 14 CFR 399.87).

However, you could still file a complaint with the DoT after the fact. I hear good things about these complaint processes.
The OP's situation concerned recognition of already-interlined bags. And UA's bag rules will (in most likelihood) result in bag charges (to some extent on 3 bags, depending on number and weight) on return on any other airline, even though he/she got waiver on outbound...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 5, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately for OP, had the 4U agent wishes to press the issue, 4U was correct and 4U will likely raise the issue again at TXL on the return.

Sec. 399.87 applies to the "allowance" for the marketing carrier of the first segment and not to waivers granted for status, credit card holders and other flotsam. Few carriers make this distinction, especially when bags have been interlined, but they are free to do so. Even if 4U were a *A carrier, OP's allowance as a UA 1K would be as a *G and that would be 2 bags, not 3, so there would be an add/collect.

Bottom line is that an eagle-eyed and nasty 4U agent could have off-loaded 2 of OP's bags (or had OP held at the gate for payment). On return, if OP departs on 4U, he may be hit up for 2 bags.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately for OP, had the 4U agent wishes to press the issue, 4U was correct and 4U will likely raise the issue again at TXL on the return.

Sec. 399.87 applies to the "allowance" for the marketing carrier of the first segment and not to waivers granted for status, credit card holders and other flotsam. Few carriers make this distinction, especially when bags have been interlined, but they are free to do so. Even if 4U were a *A carrier, OP's allowance as a UA 1K would be as a *G and that would be 2 bags, not 3, so there would be an add/collect.

Bottom line is that an eagle-eyed and nasty 4U agent could have off-loaded 2 of OP's bags (or had OP held at the gate for payment). On return, if OP departs on 4U, he may be hit up for 2 bags.
I think it's more of a mistake on the Germanwings side or a interlining mistake on UA's. As long as OP had indeed checked the bags thru to TXL (and it was tagged as such - OP should have receipt) and he/she was travelling on a single ticket, he/she shouldn't face a bag charge at LHR, as long as OP did not shortcheck a bag(s). The situation is like flying from Mainland U.S. to Maui via HNL w/ a connection to Maui on Hawaiian Air, a non-*A partner. As long as it's checked thru from Mainland, Hawaiian does not collect $ for a 1K's 3 70-lb bags at HNL to Maui. On the return though, HA will apply UA's normal bag fees and weight allowances (ie no bag/weight waivers since it's not a UA counter) for OP's bags back to HNL and interlined to UA bound for the mainland.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 5, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I thought the airlines (IATA) had agreed that the MSC baggage rules would count (ie "first carrier crossing IATA Areas or Sub-areas")

Which in this case is indeed the airline flying TATL. Although the answer remains the same in this case, I am surprised DOT rules and IATA rules do not match -

As for the allowance, it does seem to include any FT perks - the 2011 PR quoted "IATA stated that this move was necessary because "more and more airlines were defining their own baggage allowances and charges depending on the number of bags checked, class of travel, frequent flyer status and routing. " "

Originally Posted by sokolov

Last edited by dand99; May 5, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old May 5, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dand99
Which in this case is indeed the airline flying TATL. Although the answer remains the same in this case, I am surprised DOT rules and IATA rules do not match -
They don't. DOT allows the first marketing carrier to apply MSC rules but doesn't mandate it.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Will warn you that on if checking-in with 4U on the return you will likely not get the 1K bag allowance.
4U is not *A.
Yep!

I flew Germanwings last fall TXL-LHR as a 1K.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2016 at 6:27 pm Reason: language
Old May 5, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yep!

I flew Germanwings last fall TXL-LHR as a 1K.
Lol yep - do it every month on way back from Slovenia - welcome to star aliance....

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2016 at 6:28 pm Reason: updated quote to reflect Mod edit
Old May 5, 2016, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I thought the airlines (IATA) had agreed that the MSC baggage rules would count (ie "first carrier crossing IATA Areas or Sub-areas")

As for the allowance, it does seem to include any FT perks - the 2011 PR quoted "IATA stated that this move was necessary because "more and more airlines were defining their own baggage allowances and charges depending on the number of bags checked, class of travel, frequent flyer status and routing. " "
IATA is simply a trade group. US law trumps IATA policies. Since 2011, for tickets originating or terminating in the US, the allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to all segments of the ticket.

That first carrier could apply MSC. But, for what it's worth, no US carrier does.

As to what IATA says about status, that is completely irrelevant for tickets originating / terminating in the US. If you read the law, cited twice in this thread alone, you will see that exemptions based on status need not apply (although other carriers are free to apply them).
Old May 5, 2016, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...As for the allowance, it does seem to include any FT perks - the 2011 PR quoted "IATA stated that this move was necessary because "more and more airlines were defining their own baggage allowances and charges depending on the number of bags checked, class of travel, frequent flyer status and routing. " "
No it doesn't. The PR you quotes states how the problem arose. The solution was to have airlines downline honor the regular baggage policies of the first carrier, which does not include benefits given to frequent flyers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.