Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: atword
Previous threads: 2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
TOD (Tens of Dollars); please post at another thread Post your TOD buy-up experiences here [2016 Edition]
From #198 of the TOD thread by thejaredhuang: "I think there's still a distinction (from upsell thread). This thread is more about offers at check-in, I always read TOD as Time of Departure anyways."
Print Wikipost

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by roxiethehorse
We have never flown from USA to Europe...so no idea if this is a decent deal or not...

SAT - IAD - FCO booked economy plus

Offer is 20,000 miles plus $550, for each flyer to move to business class on 777-200.

Only outside seats with 2 together are row 10 on both sides of plane.

Current one way price for those seats are about $4,200 each.

Is this a decent deal for an overnight flight?
If you have $1100 and 40,000 miles, by all means go ahead. This is a standard miles+money buy up offer. remember that the East coast to EU flights are generally short (because of tail winds). But if you want to experience biz class and have miles and money, go ahead. Just ensure that they are actually offering you to get a confirmed seat and not waitlist.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
$116 upgrade for Global First Roundtrip Shanghai June 2016

Business First Roundtrip
Jun 5 ROC-ORD-PVG (P)
Jun 17 PVG-ORD-ROC (D)

Total $8,532.56

At the bottom of the flight review page (before pressing continue)

Need more flexibility? Consider one of these options:
Upgrade to United GlobalFirst
Flat-bed seats with on-demand entertainment
Complimentary wine and meal
$116.00 more

I clicked it and got Global First both ways for total of $116 more.

I've tried different dates, and it seems it's only with flight returning on Jun 17. I get the same offer when starting Jun 6, 9, 11 but only when returning Jun 17.

Anybody know what's going on behind the scenes to offer this for this date only?

Thx.

Last edited by roxie; May 9, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old May 9, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by roxie
Business First Roundtrip
Jun 5 ROC-ORD-PVG (P)
Jun 17 PVG-ORD-ROC (D)

Total $8,532.56

$116.00 more

I've tried different dates, and it seems it's only with flight returning on Jun 17. I get the same offer when starting Jun 6, 9, 11 but only when returning Jun 17.

Anybody know what's going on behind the scenes to offer this for this date only?

Thx.
Take screenshots at each step if you intend to proceed. UA has been known to charge $1160 or $11600 for such transactions! That way you will have proof. There is also a remote possibility that the transaction will fail as it wont allow you to complete.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Business First Roundtrip
Jun 5 ROC-ORD-PVG (P)
Jun 17 PVG-ORD-ROC (D)

Total $8,532.56

$116.00 more

That's likely the price difference to an A fare, which is undoubtedly cheaper than your D; combining the D with the P results in a roundtrip price just slightly less than a roundtrip A.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's likely the price difference to an A fare, which is undoubtedly cheaper than your D; combining the D with the P results in a roundtrip price just slightly less than a roundtrip A.
Thanks for explaining this. You're right. My trip summary after purchasing the ticket shows A fare both ways.

Curious as to how I would find this on my own from the United Book a Flight screen. I put A in the fare class and the lowest I get is $10,032.56

When I search this itinerary in Google flights, I also get $8,649, so trying to learn something here.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Curious as to how I would find this on my own from the United Book a Flight screen. I put A in the fare class and the lowest I get is $10,032.56
Don't search by fare class, just search for lowest available.

If united.com doesn't show a fare that Google does, one of them is not returning fares correctly (and it could be either).
Old May 12, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Hi everyone, new to United after 10 year hiatus. Checked in T-24 for a flight and was offered paid upgrade. Is there a chance if I check later the price will go down? I got that sense from a previous post here that mentioned the price dropped at T-14, but wasn't sure if that person delayed their check-in. Thanks
Old May 12, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
Hi everyone, new to United after 10 year hiatus. Checked in T-24 for a flight and was offered paid upgrade. Is there a chance if I check later the price will go down? I got that sense from a previous post here that mentioned the price dropped at T-14, but wasn't sure if that person delayed their check-in. Thanks
It's definitely possible, but not a guarantee. I've seen it go down, then spike up, and then go back to the original price. I've also seen it stay the same until check in.

What route are you flying and what price did it offer you?
Old May 12, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There's a route-dependent baseline that anchors the price, and around that it's pretty arbitrary and there aren't any known trends. It is unlikely to change significantly, but it is possible (in either direction).
Old May 12, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I've never seen this happen one time with many data points to prove it. Not to say that it can't happen, but probably not likely.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:00 pm

Checked in T-24 for a flight and was offered paid upgrade. Is there a chance if I check later the price will go down?
Sure there's a chance. But the most likely outcome is it will sell out.

If I saw a price I liked, I would go for it.
Old May 13, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Hi there, there is a whole new world that opened to me with this forum.
I am a little lost seeing your talks: what are those fair letter you refer to? Where do you see if they are still available? How do people get deals to upgrade for just 100 dollars? I guess I'll catch up over time.

Here is a question though: I've purchased tickets SFO - FRA - SFO and upgraded to business class with $550 + 20 000 miles option. On the way there the upgrade was provided immediately, on the flight back (United 927) we were only offered a waitlist. We chose to fly back on September 11, hoping that due to the date there may be fewer passengers and less competition, but there are already more seats booked in business than on SFO->FRA which is 1 month earlier. I wonder if that has to do with the fact that it's a 5.30 PM flight and more people upgrade.

I am flying with my husband and a son (on the lap) who will be almost 1 year old at the time, so having a full bed is our best bet to get some sleep. We don't have any special status with United, we have MileagePlus Explorer cards with them, but that's pretty much it, we don't fly very often. Is there any trick that could help improve our chances for an upgrade?
Old May 13, 2016, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juls27
Hi there, there is a whole new world that opened to me with this forum.
We chose to fly back on September 11, hoping that due to the date there may be fewer passengers and less competition, but there are already more seats booked in business than on SFO->FRA which is 1 month earlier. I wonder if that has to do with the fact that it's a 5.30 PM flight and more people upgrade.
Welcome to FT!

Travel to Germany often gets very busy due to trade shows, conventions etc.
September is also popular due to Octoberfest. You never really know. Best
thing is, to monitor the flights for any upgrades become available. However, this is still a ways out, so space might open up as it gets closer to the departure date. Generally speaking though, SFO-FRA-SFO are some of the tougher upgrades to clear. So, you did well, that you already cleared on the outbound.
Another option is, to do a SDC (Same Day Change) within 24 hrs of departure for a flight, which might open up in business class.
Good luck!
Old May 13, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Welcome to FT!

Best thing is, to monitor the flights for any upgrades become available.
Thank you! Could you please elaborate a bit on this: do you refer to other United flights? What is the best way to track that? Just keep searching from time to time for a similar ticket and check if the upgrade is offered with another flight?
Old May 15, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Just purchased a flight for NYC/LAS in about a week in S bucket for $254. Discount F was available for $524. After purchase was offered an upgrade to first for only $448 additional! Nah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.