FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1735887-2016-upsell-offers-business-first-ufc-pcu-questions-discussion-paid-upgrades.html)

CMK10 Jan 2, 2016 10:50 am

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Figure we need a 2016 version of this thread, I'll start.

RDU-EWR-PWM
K-Fare
$79 Upgrade after Purchase for RDU-EWR only (EWR-PWM is single class)
Declined

$127 for the K Fare or $227 for the A fare when purchasing.

truncated Jan 10, 2016 2:13 am

UA804 SIN-NRT
K fare
$1349 at OLCI (T-24)
checked on the app again (T-14) and price fell to $499

5 seats open in BF but they're all middles so probably not going to bite

Rowyourboat Jan 10, 2016 4:41 am

UA895 HKG-SIN
P fare
$249 to upgrade to GF at T-4
Declined

2 seats open in GF, 14 seats still open in BF. Didn't want to pay for such a short trip.

big V Jan 10, 2016 11:30 am

IAD-MCO, at purchase, offered $129 per person (N=3) per leg for first.

It's during Spring Break, so I'll hold out for the CPUs.

milepig Jan 10, 2016 11:56 am

BOS-ORD 1/9

I was on a later flight, upgraded with an RPU.

Weather was looming at ORD so I called and changed to an earlier flight -agent made the change but said "first was fully booked."

Went online to check in, and I was offered an upgrade for $179, which I declined.

PushingTin Jan 11, 2016 12:38 am

Where are we discussing the purchasing of Y fares and then paying the delta to a cheap F seat. Company only pays for Y, but the delta to a P/low-F can be cheap as an example.

I have a multistop (DEN-EWR-BOM-ERW-FLL-DEN) next week and few F seats left, and I know with a GPU that won't clear on the DEN-EWR so just to look for inventory for that leg I see I can buy an F seat for $600. When I called in the operator said it wouldn't price the delta and had to check with the fare desk. They came back with over $600. I said it is kind of odd that is higher than a one way fare all by itself. She agreed and went back to the fare desk and they said that due to my multistop itin, that is the offer.

I understand fare structures and itins effect on things, but that is crazy. I don't think I've had a GPU clear on any of my DEN-IAH/EWR legs in about 10 flights. Truly awful.

Any strategies for trying to get a lower fare delta offer?

findark Jan 11, 2016 2:16 am

Originally Posted by PushingTin (Post 25997737)
Where are we discussing the purchasing of Y fares and then paying the delta to a cheap F seat. Company only pays for Y, but the delta to a P/low-F can be cheap as an example.

I have a multistop (DEN-EWR-BOM-ERW-FLL-DEN) next week and few F seats left, and I know with a GPU that won't clear on the DEN-EWR so just to look for inventory for that leg I see I can buy an F seat for $600. When I called in the operator said it wouldn't price the delta and had to check with the fare desk. They came back with over $600. I said it is kind of odd that is higher than a one way fare all by itself. She agreed and went back to the fare desk and they said that due to my multistop itin, that is the offer.

I understand fare structures and itins effect on things, but that is crazy. I don't think I've had a GPU clear on any of my DEN-IAH/EWR legs in about 10 flights. Truly awful.

Any strategies for trying to get a lower fare delta offer?

What segments were you trying to buy up? If you are ticketed on a DEN-BOM through fare (which is likely), then it isn't a simple matter to re-fare to a higher class on only one of your connecting segments. Sounds like the rate desk was forcing a fare break in EWR, which would add more to the ticket than just the DEN-EWR differential.

PushingTin Jan 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Yep, DEN-EWR-BOM, BOM-EWR-FLL, FLL-DEN. $600 bucks all the way to BOM I could live with ;) Good to know that the legs on a stop aren't always (Sometimes?) separable. Actually was booked thru a TA, so I don't know exact breakdowns.

eyuro Jan 11, 2016 2:41 pm

T-23 EWR-HKG tomorrow. I'm already in J. My 18 year old Son is in 17D with the middle still open. Offered just now while checking him in, $2,379 to confirm. There are still 2 R's available with nobody on the list so far. Does this come down as we get closer?

anc-ord772 Jan 11, 2016 3:33 pm

SMF-LAX

Cheapest Y (K) Fare: $89
Cheapest F (A) Fare: $138

I purchased the K fare on my corporate CC, went back into the reservation to find that UNITED wanted $199 to upgrade to F.

I called UNITED and paid the $49 difference.

Why oh why does UNITED still suck so hard.

anc-ord772 Jan 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Based on the upsell difference being greater than outright purchasing an F ticket, I went back and looked at an LAX-SLC flight booked a few weeks ago.

LAX-SLC

Cheapest Y (G) Fare: $84.10 (Currently, and what I paid a few weeks back)
Cheapest F (A) Fare: $163.11
My Reservation: G->P PCU $115

I called to ask if they would charge the difference ($79.01), and the first agent said no. In addition to the $115 I could get off the website, I would have to pay a $200 change fee. I transferred to web support and after a little haggling the agent threw in the towel and only charged the difference.

I find Delta to have a much better user experience design in this respect.

PushingTin Jan 12, 2016 1:08 am

It is interesting. CPUs are dead, so people (or caused by people) buy the upgrades at check in. Now people are beating the day of buy ups by buying Y and paying the difference to F near booking. Interestingly, that is not a set up system in United with lots of variation. Considering the Time-Value of Money of getting the upgrade fares difference earlier and the reality that a lot of business people can't buy F, but will pay the delta our of their own pocket- United really should streamline this process.

CrispyRice Jan 12, 2016 7:34 am

I flew USA-Europe on 1/1. C had only 6 people booked on 767. Y was "full" and I was told at check-in that Y was actually overbooked. No offers to buy-up online, nothing at check-in, nothing on the app. The agent at check-in looked for me, too - nothing. Looked again after my first connection - no offers. I called, and they wanted about $1,600, presumably the fare difference. Finally, I asked at the gate, and they initially offered the miles + money option, then offered just $500. I took the $500.

We went out with a nearly empty C cabin. I don't know if anyone else bought-up at the gate.

IADFlyer123 Jan 12, 2016 7:57 am

CUN-IAD on 1/10/2016. SO is Premier Silver and was #2 on the UG list. Was offered $129 PCU. Didn't bite for a 2.5 hour flight. Someone else did - only 1 additional CPU cleared, the rest 3 available seats were buyups.

Kmxu Jan 13, 2016 11:30 am

$829 for EWR-BCN (Barcelona) from K class for a 1K member on 14 January at check-in. This is approximately $100 per hour in terms of flight time. The offer was declined. The standard buy-up offer before check-in was $2029. So, there is a $1200 deduction. :)